Choosing tarot books

Sulis

James Ricklef's books for showing readings in action.

Yes, James Ricklef's 'Tarot Tells the Tale' is a wonderful book. It has 22 readings in it - all with three cards and all for fictional or historical characters.
It's well worth a read and really shows you how to relate the cards to each other and to the question you've been asked when reading which is what books just filled with card meanings don't do.

annabel398

Ricklef's newer book "Tarot: Get the Whole Story" is, to me, MUCH better than his first--I was always put off by how "pat" and artificial the readings seemed in "Tarot tells the Tale," whereas in the new one, they feel more like real readings to me. I'm surprised I don't see more folks talking about "Tarot: Get the Whole Story" here. But I know lots of people love the first one, so YMMV.

Luna-Ocean

I use the Rider waite deck and Rachel Pollack's 78 degrees of wisdom goes much further than giving the usual or traditional meanings of each of the cards, preferring instead to go into thorough analysis and discussion of the esoteric nature of each card and the Tarot in general. The author also deals with the reversals of each card.

This book used to come in two separate volumes, but on Amazon you can now buy it in one book.

gregory

Ricklef's newer book "Tarot: Get the Whole Story" is, to me, MUCH better than his first--I was always put off by how "pat" and artificial the readings seemed in "Tarot tells the Tale," whereas in the new one, they feel more like real readings to me. I'm surprised I don't see more folks talking about "Tarot: Get the Whole Story" here. But I know lots of people love the first one, so YMMV.

Me I talk about the guy in general terms - I have - and use - all of them :) (I go right back to Knighthawk !!!) And reading for fairytale characters etc is a GREAT way to practise without worrying whose life you will ruin ;)

tarotbear

www.abebooks.com is wonderful for finding used copies of books, but be sure to check out all the entries as some offer free shipping, etc.

WORD TO THE WISE: The original new copies of 'It's All in the Cards' sold for $10 USD. Yes, it is now OOP which can push the price up - but I recently online found two copies in New Jersey for sale for $500 each! I don't make any royalties off those prices! LOL!

gregory

www.abebooks.com is wonderful for finding used copies of books, but be sure to check out all the entries as some offer free shipping, etc.

WORD TO THE WISE: The original new copies of 'It's All in the Cards' sold for $10 USD. Yes, it is now OOP which can push the price up - but I recently online found two copies in New Jersey for sale for $500 each! I don't make any royalties off those prices! LOL!

My abe sorts by lowest total price :D

tarotbear

Yes, and on Abe you can also search by 'free shipping,' too! Good if you are buying 3 or 4 books at a time like I do!

gregory

Yes, and on Abe you can also search by 'free shipping,' too! Good if you are buying 3 or 4 books at a time like I do!

Only if they come from the same seller ;) Which leads to a weird experience I had with them recently. I live in two countries. So sometimes I want things there and sometimes here.

Before Christmas I ordered three things at the same time. They all sat there together in my basket. My default address is the UK one because that's where my billing happens. But I ALWAYS check. Two small poetry books and a MASSIVE encyclopaedia thing in 7 volumes for a Christmas gift. Fine. Messages flooded happily in - and then I got one from the encyclopaedia seller. The postage would have to go up - it would cost £94 to send it to Canada.

WTF ?

I emailed them at once and got it back down to £5 to the UK (much to their relief as they hadn't really wanted the hassle) - and then checked - all said delivery to the UK; the others showed up a couple of days later.
Fine. The next time I ordered for delivery to the UK, the book never showed up and I got a refund.

My SO went to Canada a couple of weeks ago. Guess what was there....

Be very careful when you order !!!!

Egypt

tarot books

The best way to get the most information for me is, to veiw sample pages of the books content. Maybe by googling the book name. Then you know the intake on the book. Y ou canalso look up the pdf files on the books that were never published. I have a nook which is like an ipad or a kindle fire. I go on google and type in certaint things depending on the certain subject i am looking for. For example say i want to know more about significators, i would type in tarot significators pdf file. That is the easiest way to get a number of informational books that were never published. As far as books go , they are a bit harder to look up contents.

pink daliha

Check the thread

Check the thread a few posts down from this one about Mary K. Greer books.
Tarot Reversals seems to be a valuable resource that we (collectively) have all purchased. So look into it. Should be able to find a decent used copy, especially on Amazon.