prediction & illness

isthmus nekoi

Ah..... I realize my grand and sweeping generalizations risk making me come off as if I am trivializing illness, or abstracting it too far and I appreciate Moongold, that you have not accused me of downplaying the seriousness of illness w/this thread.

The premise behind my thinking is that said mental illnesses or physical illnesses give a more intense connection to... the uncon. I admit I have no hard scientific studies to support this premise however.

The link b/w madness and genius is a very tenuous one, but one that is commonly made. I can only think of certain simplified examples: van Gogh, Dali, Picasso. If Picasso were alive today, I am certain he would have something in the DSM (yeeeees, I know that thing is troublesome): I would put my money on Narcissistic Personality Disorder. A severe case.
Another example would be the "idiot savant", perhaps. Sorry, don't know if there is a more PC term for that.

In any case, I thank you for those reading suggestions. I shall bear them in mind.

Moongold

isthmus nekoi said:
The premise behind my thinking is that said mental illnesses or physical illnesses give a more intense connection to... the uncon. I admit I have no hard scientific studies to support this premise however.

The link b/w madness and genius is a very tenuous one, but one that is commonly made. I can only think of certain simplified examples: van Gogh, Dali, Picasso. If Picasso were alive today, I am certain he would have something in the DSM (yeeeees, I know that thing is troublesome): I would put my money on Narcissistic Personality Disorder. A severe case.
Another example would be the "idiot savant", perhaps. Sorry, don't know if there is a more PC term for that.

Isthmus,

I agree with you about the link netween illness and the unconscious. Do you mean the individual unconscious or the collective unconscious? There is quite a bit of literature about this but it may not be explicit in terms of the unconscious

I laugh with you at the comment about Picasso et al. Add obsessive to the list. I think creative genius requires obsession but can't think why it matters. We classify eveything, we Westerners. :)

Indigo_lady

now that we are on the subject

Do you guys remember that sometime ago I kept dreaming that my teeth were being crushed into pieces and I was spitting the pieces out? -Sorry for being so graphic...

I just got home from the ER. I was home alone and right before I was gonna get into the elevator to leave, I fell into a wall (I still don't know how I did that), broke a tooth, spat out pieces just like in the dream, my other teeth and the rest of my mouth hurt like hell, got some cuts in the inside of my mouth, and my left hand hurts like hell coz it got in the way of my fall...

ohh yesss... just found the forum

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14904&highlight=teeth

I think that fits into the current discussion...

zorya

(((indigo lady)))
ohmgawdess! i'm sending you light and healing (if you want it)
this is so upsetting! especially as i have the same teeth crumbling and falling out dreams. :eek: i am sooo empathising (is that a word?)

Indigo_lady

Thank you very much Zorya!!!!

Ohh yes, I very much appreciate your light and healing
(I'm not masochist yet, don't worry ... :p )

It's not so bad... just weird. Well, I actually felt like laughing about but I can't move my upper lip right now.. hehehehe

;)

isthmus nekoi

Moongold said:
Do you mean the individual unconscious or the collective unconscious?
I laugh with you at the comment about Picasso et al. Add obsessive to the list. I think creative genius requires obsession but can't think why it matters. We classify eveything, we Westerners. :)

I think collective uncon, and perhaps illness allows you to bypass going through the personal? Or maybe not.... actually no.... probably not.

lol, there is something rather unbalanced about strong creativity. There is so much concern about balance balance balance in our society, and sometimes I wonder: should we not balance out the balanced times w/the unbalanced?.... :p

Indigo_Lady, that is so literal! I hope you get better soon!!