Glastonbury

Crowley

Hi all,

I hope this thread is in the right place, if not please feel free to move it.

I was just wondering what are your first thoughts about Glastonbury, even if you've never been there. I'm just doing a little research on Somerset in the UK.

Any words come to mind?

B.Thanks

AC

catlin

The Matter of Britanny, Avalon, Morgan LeFey, Joseph of Armathea, several tarot decks, Glastonbury Tor, G. Abbey, you want more ;) ?

Kiama

My heart is in Glastonbury. It is not only a beautiful, scenic town and countrside, but it is choc-full of interesting places: both shopping-wise and mythologically/historically speaking.

It is a joy to walk around the High Street browsing the shops (My favourites are the Speaking Tree, Courtyard Books, and The Psychic Piglet! :D) and buying loads of cheap Tarot decks and books. I've found some real treasures of decks in Glastonbury in the past.

The Chalice Well is stunning. The mythology linked to it is also stunning, and I find alot of insight in these myths. I love the Chalice Well Gardens so much, that I'm looking into getting Handfasted there in 2005 with my boyfriend. (At the bottom of the garden, in between the two Yew trees.)

The Tor is, of course, wonderful. A nice walk up there, great view, very peaceful.

Glastonbury Abbey is beautiful too: i coudl easily spend the whole day there just walking around the grounds and relaxing. You also get to see one of the Glastonbury Thorns and King Arthur's "grave". :D

What I like most about Glastonbury is the fact that its history naturally links Paganism and Christianity, and it's myths provide an excellent meeting point for the two religions, mostly in the Arthurian legends.

Did you know there is a Glastonbury Tarot? Here's a link:

http://aeclectic.net/glastonbury/index.html
http://aeclectic.net/glastonbury/review.html

There is also a website for Glastonbury:

http://www.glastonbury.co.uk/

which I have found invaluable in the last year.

What do you think of Glastonbury, Crowley? (Nice name by the way ;))

Kiama

Crowley

Love at first sight

Thanks!!:D

I've been to Glastonbury a few times (not when the festival is on) and I loved it!
I used to do some work with Gong the 60's hippy band, some members still live there. I was thinking about moving there as I fell in love with it. It's very very hard to find housing.

I saw the Tarot deck and I was a tad dissapointed :( to tell the truth

I last time I went was about 3 yrs ago and it still feels the same for me.

The only thing is that I wish there was more night life as I'm a bit of a party animal.

My friends Mum was born there and didn't like it she said to me some time ago " it's too conservative, it's not multicultural and there's no work"

I have of course a different view altogether. When I spoke to someone else who lived there and works there, he told me " Glastonbury is a very nice little place, it's all in a bubble, but don't let is burst"

I know that most of ther residents hate it when they get all the groupies for a few days once a year pi$$ing in their garden, making tons of noise and disrespecting the locals. I can understand why some residents just go away at festival time.
There is unfortunately a divide between some of the "locals" and anyone they see as alternative and vice versa.

I would say that the first thing that comes to mind is the word magic!

I've only seen the Glastonbury Tarot, any links to the other decks mentioned?
:D
Ta

Crowley

I'm not a subscriber so I can't go to the Chat forum.

Anyway you can still carry on this thread without me. :(

What comes to your mind when you think of Glastonbury(UK)

thanks

tabbycat

The Glastonbury Zodiac. I've always been fascinated by it, ever since I read Geoffrey Ashe's The Finger and the Moon, and I recently got the Kathleen Maltwood book about it.
Haven't been to the town for many years. Is StarChild still there - now that was a wonderful magical shop!

Jilly

Chronata

This is kinda strange...

Huh. I was comming back from the post office today, and for some unexplainable reason, the name Glastonbury came into my head...and now I check this forum(after midnight) and there it is again!
Hmmm...looks like I need to do a little research...I wonder what this is trying to tell me?
(alas...I am also not a subscriber...so I can not carry this forward...but if anyone has any thoughts...feel free to PM me!)