The Magic of Thelema - DuQuette

Macavity

"The Magic of Thelema" (A handbook of the Rituals of Aleister Crowley) by Lon Milo Duquette - Weiser 1993.

This is a book I have just purchased... But have yet to put down! Rather than a detailed review, I should probably send interested parties to check out the Amazon ones. For once, they seem unanimously GOOD? ;)

I had previously been wary of such books (I am not a Thelemite) but in the main, had simply feared a dry or rather "religious" read. Billed as a "Crowley Primer", this book indeed contains (most of?) the "wand wavings" (typical for the internet!) yet from a non-threatening and sensible perspective. Major Crowley works appear quoted at the start of chapters, and are then annotated in some detail. (Explaining what Mr. C. actually MEANT!) Many an odd (sic) utterance too, in the Book of Thoth, or strange symbol in Crowley Harris Tarot is clarified here. There's a whole section on Tarot relevancies such as: "Contacting Holy Guardian Angels" (I was indeed wondering!) And much, much more...

This book has reached it's tenth anniversary. I see another "in the pipeline", called The Magic of Aleister Crowley, due for publication in November 2003. Perhaps this latter will be more Crowley specific? Maybe this AND the above are a prerequisite? But, all in all, a great read! :D

Macavity

P.S. I'm also looking forward greatly to the (definitive?) book on the Crowley-Thoth Tarot, by this author, also previewed for Nov. 2003.

WolfSpirit

Sounds all very interesting.
The Magic of Aleister Crowley is also by Duquette ?

"Crowley Primer" - does that mean you can read this book as an introduction to the works of Crowley ? Have you read Crowley before, Macavity ?
I wonder if it makes a difference if you try to read Crowley on your own before reading Duquette's book, it may help you forming a view of your own (although it will probably be similar)
Anyway, with English not being my mother tongue I can probably use some help.

Is the book you have a complete entity of its own or is it more "foot notes to Crowley" and not complete if you don't have Crowley's works at hand ?

Hm, better check out the comments at amazon first before I come with more questions. Mind you, I hardly ever read those as I see them as a sales gimmick most of the times })

Macavity

I think it covers Crowley to the sort of level I wanted. I don't feel e.g. sufficiently interested to acquire the complete(!) works of A.C., some of which are (how should I say) a little obscure(?), plus I don't have the funds! I think, at this stage you might almost hang on until the more recent book comes out? I suspect there will be some overlap and the newer one is advertised as containing more/new material? http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1578632994/aeclectictaro-21/ IMO, these are indeed complete books in themselves, but they do quote (e.g. reprint chapters) quite extensively from Crowley, where necessary. And, as we speak, I see the publication date is now 31st December - Hmmm :D

Macav.

WolfSpirit

Yes, I will wait for the new book, I also found the to-be-published book on Thoth at amazon which has already raised high expectations.

Looks like the book at amazon.com is the same one, both have ISBN 1578632994. So lets hope the cheap price is the right one, the German site (amazon.de) also gives the low (and I guess really reasonable) price but the publication date of December 31.
Somehow facts must have gotten messed up :D I guess we will have to wait and keep our fingers crossed.