Very weird energy when waking up from very weird dreams

newlillith

Well...it is 3 am here. I have a garage sale to run in 5 hours and I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs. That's because I've woken from another one of my strange dreams and can't get back to sleep. To be fair, I have WEIRD dreams in the summer. I think it's because most of my summers I have been a student, so I'm not doing anything terribly strenuous.

Anyway, I've had a few dreams now where in the dream I'm dying or I'm going on to Nirvana, or maybe falling asleep, or something transitory. Then I begin to fade out in the dream and I wake up very suddenly with prickly energy running up and down my body. It freaks me the eff out! The one I had tonight, I was looking at someone's tarot cards (on my bookshelf oddly). This person had just died. Someone else in the room, not sure who, said something about people who feel guilty about doing tarot start to see bad things when they die because they feel guilty about it. So then immediately I started dying in my dream and seeing the outline of malicious spirits, I was thinking--no, I don't want to see this, I want to see people I love as I die! That was when I woke up and felt that prickly energy running all up and down my body. I was a bit breathless too. So then I laid there and tried to convince myself I wasn't scared...I'm not scared....nope. I'm up with all the lights on and there is no going back to sleep.

Does anyone else have dreams like this? I talked to another AT member about this and she said she thinks I'm astral travelling. So I've tried grounding myself before bed. I also bought some sage incense and used that to smudge the bedroom. Last night I slept like a baby right after that.

Just curious if anyone else experiences this?

ETA: I should add that I'm not consciously trying to astral travel, nor do I really want to. My biggest focus at the moment in the spiritual realm is meditation, prayer, surrounding myself with positive energy and tarot. I also say a prayer for protection and surrounding by the highest vibrational energy and white light every night before bed.

The crowned one

Sounds like mild hypnopompic or postdormita, as you wake. I have had it too, once severely with bad symptoms rather then the slightly more enjoyable "energized" feeling as the tingles leave.

newlillith

I have had several incidences of sleep paralysis and this is different. I wake up immediately and am able to move and breathe fully. These could be lucid dreams...they are weirder than any other lucid dreams I've had. But it is definitely a possibility. Thanks for your input, this helps!

Liralen

I often have similar experiences, and I don't think it's sleep paralysis either. It often happens to me after doing something like meditation. If I'm not careful and ground myself right away, those tingles can send me into a full-blown panic attack.

I'm not sure what this means, but I think it may be excess energy generated by meditation. In some systems teachers stress how important it is after meditation to gather all that excess energy in the center of your body because it can be harmful otherwise.

newlillith

Hmmm, this is interesting. Maybe negative energy just releasing. This has only started happening since I began in earnest to remove as much negativity as possible from my life so...that's a good idea. I'll try drawing all the energy into my center tonight before bed. Thanks!

frac_ture

What you're describing, newlillith, sounds to me not as though you're actually astral traveling, but rather that you're experiencing precursor effects that can happen right before astral travel begins...in other words, you may be gearing up for such travel without intending to, but then you're managing to wake yourself up before it can get fully underway, if that makes sense...?

I think your exercises before bed sound helpful (expressing intent, conjuring white light, etc.). If you're worried about negative energy, certain gemstones can help with absorbing it: as a general rule of thumb, I think anything black will almost always be effective in this area (onyx, jet, obsidian, black tourmaline, etc.) -- you can sleep with these items near the bed or under your pillow or worn as jewelry, and then you just want to cleanse them on a somewhat regular basis, and especially when they seem to be helping to lessen the effects you're talking about (which would mean they really could be sucking in a lot of negativity). You can cleanse by burying the items overnight in salt, or "washing" them by hand in smoke from sage or sandalwood incense. Running water is good for some stones, but harmful to others (ditto sunlight), so you'd want to check on any particular stone you select. Moonlight is also viewed as often being great for cleansing, too. Other stones are good for grounding, which might be excellent in your case, as it could help keep you firmly planted in your physical self instead of drifting up and out while you're sleeping! I need to get out the door here, but if you like, I can help you look up some good possibilities for grounding stones later, or I can PM you some links to a few gemstone sites I've discovered and use a lot when doing similar research...

Liralen

Hmmm, this is interesting. Maybe negative energy just releasing. This has only started happening since I began in earnest to remove as much negativity as possible from my life so...that's a good idea. I'll try drawing all the energy into my center tonight before bed. Thanks!

Could be negative energy, but could be positive energy as well! I often had these experiences after exercises in which you surround yourself with light. Perhaps the body just isn't used to all this high, positive energy and can't handle it.

But I think drawing the energy to the center is always a good idea, no matter if it's positive or negative.

newlillith

Hi Liralen, I tried your suggestion of drawing all my energy to my center and it worked like a charm. I only woke up once last night and it was to roll over onto my side : )

Frac_Ture, I'm definitely interested in grounding stones. I realized yesterday that one of the stones on my altar, phantom quartz, could be messing with my sleep as well. So I put that in my altar storage. Anyway, feel free to send me some sites on info about crystals as I am clueless.

Thanks so much for the suggestions all!

frac_ture

Hi, newlillith -- I took a spin through my gemstone/crystal resources, and I turned up a few stones you might want to try to see if they'll help you with staying grounded...

The ones mentioned most often that should also be pretty easy to find would be hematite, fluorite, carnelian, and black obsidian. From reading write-ups from various sources and weighing them all together, I'd suggest trying them in the order I just listed, unless any in particular really seem to speak to you and appeal...in which case, by all means, check those out first! You can also look for something called Boji Stones, which are supposed to be really strong and excellent when it comes to grounding, but which I don't think are as widely known or as readily available as the stones I listed above. Also, it might cost you a few extra bucks, but stones shaped into cubes can have added strength and utility when it comes to grounding (you may not necessarily find cubes sitting around your local occult shop, but you can certainly find sites from which to order them if you want to go that route).

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here to other sites, but I can PM a couple of references to you or anyone else interested -- they're by no means the last word on stones, and different sources very often seem to have different takes on any given stone, so I'm finding it best to read up through several and then distill a sort of "mathematical average" as to what a stone's general overall thrust might be...and of course, nothing can substitute for first-hand experimentation!

Nevada

What I wonder is if this is from something physical going on. It's hay fever season where I live and if I get congested while sleeping it can wake me up with strange dreams - maybe from not getting enough oxygen, because I'm rarely a mouth breather when I sleep. I take a mild decongestant before sleep now and it seems to help prevent that.