Good rune system for beginners

alca

I'm new to runes and I'm not sure where to start, and I'm especially confused with all the different rune systems.

Which one would be a good one to start on and what are their main differences?

And, with the well known books, such as those by Edred Thorsson, which system do they use so I know which ones to get?

Thanks,
alca

Pam O

I like Ralph Blum's Rune Cards and book set. To me, it is a great companion to Runes in a bag. Good luck to YOU!! :)

Penthasilia

On the converse, I tend to avoid Blum. His meanings/theories are not as good as Thorsson's (by that, I mean historically accurate/delving into the meanings given in the Edda's and other old Norse texts).

If you want something more basic, then Thorsson's Futhark: A handbook of rune magic would be the way to go. I like the 9 doors of Midgard- one of my favorite books. What I like about this book is that it gives you a full course in runes, to include rune magic/galdr as well as going into some of the history of the runes. But it is not an entry level book- just giving you the info so that you can set it aside for later if you really want to delve into runes.

If you want to explore the full Anglo-Saxon/Northumbrian sets, I like Galina Krasskova's Rune theory and Practice book. It is a much lighter read, but still has quite a bit of information packed into it.

So- to start, either Futhark or Rune theory- those would be my two recommendations. All depends on whether you want to study the full rune set, or stick with only the FUTHARK.

:)

Pam O

Oh wow Penthasilia. You are obviously VERY knowledgeble in this area. I'm merely a pup that still wants to become proficient with Runes.(Also Lenormand, but that's a whole different thread...)

alca

Thank you, I'll look at those.

I've noticed that most rune sets you buy usually have 25 piece, stones, etc., what is the standard number, or does it different between each system?

Penthasilia, about Futhark, do you mean the elder or the younger one - I saw it on Wiki. And how many letters are there in the full Anglo-Saxon set?

Penthasilia

Oh wow Penthasilia. You are obviously VERY knowledgeble in this area. I'm merely a pup that still wants to become proficient with Runes.(Also Lenormand, but that's a whole different thread...)

LMAO- well, I don't think you ever totally learn the runes, but I have been working with them for some time. ;)

Thank you, I'll look at those.

I've noticed that most rune sets you buy usually have 25 piece, stones, etc., what is the standard number, or does it different between each system?

Penthasilia, about Futhark, do you mean the elder or the younger one - I saw it on Wiki. And how many letters are there in the full Anglo-Saxon set?

The elder FUTHARK is most common- which is the set of 25. Otherwise, the "full" set, which includes the Anglo-Saxon FUTHORK and Northumbrian runes includes 33. Those are harder to find in your average new age shop- but easily obtainable online. I would recommend just getting the book- and you can make your own set with pen and paper if you want- cut some index cards in half, put the rune on it, write the meanings and your thoughts on the back- voila- you have a custom made learning set! :D

If you are more artistically inclined, you can also get plain clay, stones, wood, bones, etc and either carve or paint your own set. If you would like something more substantial but not have to do it- then you can find them online and bless them in your own way.

I would check out the full 33 set, if it doesn't resonate, take out the extras and you have the FUTHARK and can just use it. It is hard to buy the extras if you have a set of 25, but easy to ditch the extras if you don't want to use them. ;)

Good luck!

Cat*

Penthasilia, are you familiar with Diana Paxson's "Taking Up the Runes"? If so, would you recommend it to a beginner?

Penthasilia

Penthasilia, are you familiar with Diana Paxson's "Taking Up the Runes"? If so, would you recommend it to a beginner?

I have her book- and I do like it. But for someone just starting out, it might be a bit much. She has some interesting theories on combining different runes that have similar/complementary energies, but I think it would serve best if you had worked a bit with those energies, so you understand where she is coming from and how to work with them. It might be a bit to chew for a complete beginner- and it is not easily navigated if you want to go through to just learn the basic meanings.

Flowers/Thorsson's FUTHARK or At the Well of Wyrd is probably the best to start for FUTHARK based systems. In fact, the Well of Wyrd is very nice because it is very straightforward- you have each rune, the light/shadow meanings, each rune poem and a short section at the end on making your own set or blessing a bought set.

If you are interested at all in looking beyond the FURTHARK, then I would recommend Galina's book because she has the full FUTHORK/Northumbrian listing for meanings, etc- and I really like how she gives some basic exercises to help learn the spirit of each rune. There are not a great deal of good books that go into the full sets. Hers is VERY good and easy or a beginner. I like R I Page's book for the history of it, but when it comes to using and learning them, Galina's book is hard to beat!

Cat*

Thanks for your opinion!

I admit I'm still a bit puzzled about how to start learning the runes because it doesn't seem to be comparable to how I learned tarot. I'm curious whether/how that will change for me eventually...

Penthasilia

Thanks for your opinion!

I admit I'm still a bit puzzled about how to start learning the runes because it doesn't seem to be comparable to how I learned tarot. I'm curious whether/how that will change for me eventually...

They are nothing like tarot. Learning the runes, really knowing them, requires quite a bit. Each rune is it's own entity, it's own spirit. Unlike the cards which hold archetypes and patterns of thinking- each rune is it's own being. In order to learn them, you have to take everything you think about the rune and suspend it for a bit- then really work on gaining your own interpretation and relationship with each one. A book will only give you that author's interpretation of his/her own work. It is why I like Galina's book- gives you a chance and some ideas on how to form your own relationships.

A good place to start is reading the old poems- on how Odin was able to find the rune spirits, and each individual rune poem. Then, you can sit and study the image, sing the rune name, work in whatever manner it is that you use to meditate/journey/etc and then find the rune spirit to learn what it has to show you.

It is much less an academic exercise and more of a spiritual quest. Remember the sacrifice Odin had to make to learn them- that helps to realize how much you have to give in order to understand their mysteries. Which is why runes aren't for everyone- they simply demand so much. Even more than the Ogham, in my experience. Which is why, if you chose to use them for divination, they typically work on a much deeper level than tarot. I use mine for divination very infrequently- and mostly to help with healing work or when there are very important spiritual or family matters that require understanding the web of choices and consequences that are available.

That probably wasn't very helpful.... but I do feel it is important to know. Runes definitely require a different mindset than the cards. Good luck in your workings- in the end, the time and sacrifice is worth it.