Good rune system for beginners

alca

Penthasilia, is the Anglo-Saxon runes system an extension of the FUTHARK based systems with the extra stones/letters? Or is it different when interpreting, etc.? I'll look at the books you mentioned before, but I don't know the difference between the two systems, I don't know where I should start.

I haven't seen any actual Anglo-Saxon rune stones that I can buy online so far. I've been looking and i think I like the plain ceramic ones (I haven't seen one I liked though), the various coloured stone ones (those are everywhere) and maybe the bone runes.

Thanks for the info on Odin. I've heard of him and that he sacrificed his eyesight for foresight or something. I'll try the old poems when I've grasped the basics.

Also, when you said that it's not for everyone and that they work on a deeper level than tarot. Do you mean that it give direct answers unlike the tarot where it is hard to pinpoint the exact meaning/s? When I was looking around, I noticed that people commented that when they tried a reading using runes, it was very straight to the point but they didn't sound very experienced as you. Will you still get results if you don't take the time to develop your own meanings of each of the letters, and just look up the meanings?

Penthasilia

Penthasilia, is the Anglo-Saxon runes system an extension of the FUTHARK based systems with the extra stones/letters? Or is it different when interpreting, etc.? I'll look at the books you mentioned before, but I don't know the difference between the two systems, I don't know where I should start.

It is basically an extension- the names have been changed slightly, as well as some of the forms, but you can easily take a full set and reduce it to the FUTHARK set without issue. I have included a couple websites below to give you some more detail on the similarities and differences. But for practical purposes, you can think of it as an extension.

I haven't seen any actual Anglo-Saxon rune stones that I can buy online so far. I've been looking and i think I like the plain ceramic ones (I haven't seen one I liked though), the various coloured stone ones (those are everywhere) and maybe the bone runes.

You can find various sets through Mengloth's Market: http://www.menglothsmarket.com/futhorc-runes.html

Those have the full rune sets of 33 to include the anglo-saxon and northumbrian.

Thanks for the info on Odin. I've heard of him and that he sacrificed his eyesight for foresight or something. I'll try the old poems when I've grasped the basics.

For the runes, as the poem goes, he hung on a tree for 9 days. After being there, starved, wounded and half mad, the void opened and the spirits of the runes came through it. It was at this point that he was able to take them up- to understand them, and place them in form. You can find the full poem here: http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/odins_magic.html and it is a great site in general for rune information. Another good site is Raven's: http://www.northernshamanism.org/shamanic-techniques/runes.html and here you will find more discussion on the spirit of the runes.

Also, when you said that it's not for everyone and that they work on a deeper level than tarot. Do you mean that it give direct answers unlike the tarot where it is hard to pinpoint the exact meaning/s? When I was looking around, I noticed that people commented that when they tried a reading using runes, it was very straight to the point but they didn't sound very experienced as you. Will you still get results if you don't take the time to develop your own meanings of each of the letters, and just look up the meanings?

Well, I find that they give direct answers, but they are in no way simple. If you think of the runes as their own spirit- imagine the response you would receive to a question if you asked a wise ancestor?. They would give a direct answer- but it would not be a simple do this/do that, avoid this/avoid that, etc. The runes really work well with showing you the multitude of paths/consequences available to you at any given time- and as such there is no right/wrong or good/bad choice. It simply is. Working with them, you can hopefully get a chance to see how the web of causality and effect will change based on your decision(s).

I would hesitate to just rattle the runes, pick them, and then open a book to see the answers if you don't plan to go much further with it. I don't know how much, or how far, that would take you. A superficial look at the meanings for each rune may be vastly different than your own personal take on them, once you work with them. For instance- many can see Isa as a hard, cold rune- but it is truly one in which I find a great deal of solace.

On the other hand- you should work with them while learning them! I have just seen many times people not going beyond that superficial use, and then eventually, the use dies off as they do not seem as easy to use as cards, etc. So, during studying- absolutely pick some, read the meanings in the book- but then use the following days to delve deeper into the meanings.

Rune study lasts a lifetime. I am an infant in training, only working with them intensely for the past 10 years. Before then, I had looked lightly, but then put them away. I took a year off from using any other divination system and focused only on the runes- it was then that my study really started. Each time I use them, I learn something new. There is no other way to describe them, other than really stressing how much they are their own entities.

Best of luck to you in your studies, hopefully the above websites can give you at least a bit of a taste for the different rune types, meanings and history. I am always happy to answer any questions if you want to PM as well. :)

Richard

I would suggest making or buying an Elder Futhark rune set, get Edred Thorsson's At the Well of Wyrd (subtitled A Handbook of Runic Divination), and jump right in. All of Thorsson's books are worthwhile.

alca

LRichard, thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Penthasilia, if I get the Anglo-Saxon one and work with that, the meanings, etc. would it affect the meanings if I changed to the FUTHARK system?

Would it be a bad idea to study more than one type of divination at a time? Of course I'll focus on each of them when I'm trying to understand the basics of them. But after doing that, is it effective to learn two or three types of divination on a level beyond the basics? Where I'll alternate between the time I spend on each but definitely at least once a week. Since I'm at uni, and especially when it's nearing exam period where I might have to stop it altogether.

I like the wooden runes on their website - I never liked the ones I saw before that were a dark wooden colour. I like the bone runes too.

Also, do most people that study runes make their own set at some point during their journey? I prefer to buy mine since it looks neater, and I'm pretty fussy too. Do you know if there's much of a difference between handmade and ones that are bought? It's the same with tarot cards, that we need to get to know our deck, etc. except it would be impossible to make ourselves.

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions, Penthasilia! :)

Penthasilia

Penthasilia, if I get the Anglo-Saxon one and work with that, the meanings, etc. would it affect the meanings if I changed to the FUTHARK system?

Nope! You can just put the extra ones aside. :)

Would it be a bad idea to study more than one type of divination at a time? Of course I'll focus on each of them when I'm trying to understand the basics of them. But after doing that, is it effective to learn two or three types of divination on a level beyond the basics? Where I'll alternate between the time I spend on each but definitely at least once a week. Since I'm at uni, and especially when it's nearing exam period where I might have to stop it altogether.

I don't see where it would be a problem working with more than one. Just make sure that you listen to your own body/spirit and if it becomes tiring, take a break.

Also, do most people that study runes make their own set at some point during their journey? I prefer to buy mine since it looks neater, and I'm pretty fussy too. Do you know if there's much of a difference between handmade and ones that are bought? It's the same with tarot cards, that we need to get to know our deck, etc. except it would be impossible to make ourselves.

I am HORRIBLE when it comes to stuff like that. I haven't made my own permanent set and have been working with them for years. I did make sure to repaint mine with an ochre dye, and blessed them according to my customs. Which is why it was important to me to buy from someone I trusted. Now- I have made some temporary sets- cutting the fruit-bearing branch, painting them, casting them, then burning them- when there was a really great need. And it was very powerful. But I don't see why you cannot use a bought set that you have blessed and made your own.

:D

alca

Ok, thanks, Penthasilia.

Is the part about blessing your set mentioned in books too?

I've also heard about using runes alongside with the tarot. Do you use the runes during or after the tarot reading for further insight? That's the idea I'm getting. Is there a book that covers that area?

And, do you know where you can get the Anglo-Saxon system runes made of gemstone and comes in all sorts of colours? I'm sticking with the Anglo-Saxon system because there's more letters in it.

Since I'll be using the Anglo-Saxon system, what books would you recommend/not recommend from these titles/authors;

-Discover Runes by Tony Willis
-Northern Mysteries and Magick by Freya Aswynn
-Runelore by Edred Thorsson
-Reading the Runes: A Beginner's Guide
-Bernard King books
-Futhark by Edred Thorsson (for the 24 system)
-An Introduction to English Runes
-The Runecaster's Handbook by Edred Thorsson
-The Rune Primer: A Down to Earth Guide to the Runes
-Kveldulf Gundarsson books
-Teutonic Magic by Kveldulf Gundarsson
-9 doors of Midgard (that you mentioned but the 1991 or the 2011 version?)

... and do you have any other recommendations for my runes booklist and about using runes as charms?

neeya

I'm on my way to learning runes beside Tarot. After reading the posts above, i guess the journey would be that long.
I'm a slow learner myself, but for something i have passion into i won't break down. Even it would take forever to learn, i will try :)

alca

neeya, I'm glad that the thread helped. I didn't find anything on the basic of runes and there wasn't much with a google search either, so I just asked. I do ask a lot of questions, it would be from general to specific, as I knew more of it.

Cat*

They are nothing like tarot. Learning the runes, really knowing them, requires quite a bit. Each rune is it's own entity, it's own spirit. Unlike the cards which hold archetypes and patterns of thinking- each rune is it's own being. In order to learn them, you have to take everything you think about the rune and suspend it for a bit- then really work on gaining your own interpretation and relationship with each one. A book will only give you that author's interpretation of his/her own work. It is why I like Galina's book- gives you a chance and some ideas on how to form your own relationships.
Well, I definitely didn't learn to read tarot by learning book meanings by heart... ;)
I still agree that runes seem very different from tarot, though. For one thing, they seem a lot less easily accessible to me. And I haven't even reached the point where I have a fairly concrete idea of how studying the runes would even look, let alone being able to use them for any purpose except studying (I don't remember ever being that "huh? :confused:" in front of any tarot deck, but maybe I'm just forgetful?).

A good place to start is reading the old poems- on how Odin was able to find the rune spirits, and each individual rune poem. Then, you can sit and study the image, sing the rune name, work in whatever manner it is that you use to meditate/journey/etc and then find the rune spirit to learn what it has to show you.
That sounds like good advice to me. Because even if I don't know how else to go about any rune study I may take up (I'm still undecided but remain interested), I'm pretty sure that learning someone else's meanings by heart is NOT the way to go (at least not for me).

Thank you for explaining all these things to us (maybe-)wannabe rune students!

Penthasilia

Ok, thanks, Penthasilia.

Is the part about blessing your set mentioned in books too?

I've also heard about using runes alongside with the tarot. Do you use the runes during or after the tarot reading for further insight? That's the idea I'm getting. Is there a book that covers that area?

And, do you know where you can get the Anglo-Saxon system runes made of gemstone and comes in all sorts of colours? I'm sticking with the Anglo-Saxon system because there's more letters in it.

Since I'll be using the Anglo-Saxon system, what books would you recommend/not recommend from these titles/authors;

-Discover Runes by Tony Willis
-Northern Mysteries and Magick by Freya Aswynn
-Runelore by Edred Thorsson
-Reading the Runes: A Beginner's Guide
-Bernard King books
-Futhark by Edred Thorsson (for the 24 system)
-An Introduction to English Runes
-The Runecaster's Handbook by Edred Thorsson
-The Rune Primer: A Down to Earth Guide to the Runes
-Kveldulf Gundarsson books
-Teutonic Magic by Kveldulf Gundarsson
-9 doors of Midgard (that you mentioned but the 1991 or the 2011 version?)

... and do you have any other recommendations for my runes booklist and about using runes as charms?

I do love Thorsson's books, but he tends to stick with the FUTHARK only, just to let you know. For starting out- The Well of Wyrd is a great book. And I have the 1991 version of the 9 Doors of Midgard- so I cannot give you any input on the 2011 version. Gundarsson is also wonderful- but he doesn't go much into the Anglo Saxon runes either. I still would recommend them in the future though- as they have some great stuff on the FUTHARK runes.

Galina Krasskova's book- Runes: Theory and Practice is my favorite book that includes all 33 runes. I would highly recommend it. I like it much better than some of the others out there. Remember, there is a relative lack of books that cover all 33 runes, most cover the FUTHARK only and some may just touch on the "extra" runes. There is alos one by Alaric Albertsson- Wyrdworking: The Path of a Saxon Sorcerer. It is an okay book as well, if you want a second source. Not as good as Galina's, but pretty acceptable. R I Page's- Introduction to English runes is an excellent historical book- but not very practical. I have it, and love it, but it is more for the history rather than use.

For the blessing- that is up to your own practice. I would suggest blessing your runes as you see fit. You can find some idea from the poem itself. Though I will say that traditionally, it was thought that you could empower them by using either red ochre stain, or a ink mixed with your own blood. If you are squeamish- the red ochre works well. If you don't have that, then just put your intention into it.

I don't use runes with tarot. But if you are very familiar with tarot, then I could see how you could use it to help understand a rune reading if you are stuck. I am not familiar with any books on this topic.

As far as rune sets in different stones, there is a set on Mengloth's market: http://www.menglothsmarket.com/futhorc-runes.html#ecwid:category=315851&mode=product&product=946728 but you can also google Anglo Saxon rune sets and see what comes up. :)