How do you read Knighted cards ?

ghost271

I've heard of Knighting but I'm not sure how to read those cards. Do you read them individually, paired, or all together ?

Thanks for your input.

garmonbozia

what is Knighting?

andybc

Hi ghost271 and garmonbozia.

Knighting is a technique used in the grand tableau spread, although you could use it in a fairly limited form in the 3 x 3. It’s called ‘knighting’ because it creates a combination in the same way a Knight, in the game of chess, moves:

Two positions left or right and then one up or down
Two positions up or down and then one left or right
One position left or right and then two up or down

So if you had this tableau:

06 - 18 – 11 - 08 - 32 - 07 - 10 - 21
04 - 35 - 25 - 15 - 14 - 28 - 20 - 05
26 - 12 - 34 - 27 - 29 - 24 - 16 - 01
30 - 02 – 19 - 17 - 33 - 36 - 03 - 23
** - ** - 13 - 09 - 22 - 31 - ** - **

You might want to knight card 05 (Tree) to look at health. You would then have cards 7, 24, and 3.

As to how they are read, it's up to you. I use knighting as part of a sequence (House, Mirroring, Knighting) of looking at individual areas.

Houses show what the main issue now is, mirroring explains why, and knighting how it will go in the future. If I want any extra information I use counting (ninth card and then every thirteenth). I read knighting as pairs: so with the Tree: 5 + 7, 5 + 24, 5 + 3.

garmonbozia

Thank you andybc!

That is really interesting. I am not very familiar with the grand tableau spread (there is a serious lack of Lenormand books in English) and have only learned about much smaller spreads so far. I hope there are more complete publications coming soon.

Are there any resources you would suggest?

Tag_jorrit

Houses show what the main issue now is, mirroring explains why, and knighting how it will go in the future. If I want any extra information I use counting (ninth card and then every thirteenth). I read knighting as pairs: so with the Tree: 5 + 7, 5 + 24, 5 + 3.

This idea of counting is a new one to me. Why would you pick the 9th card and then every 13th?

andybc

Hi Tag_jorrit.

The 9 and every 13th card is an old method used in continental and eastern Europe. You'll see it in a few books at the turn of the last century, particularly on 32 card spreads (the ancestor of the GT).

I cover it fully in my how to on the GT.

garmonbozia - in English you have Iris Treppner and Britta courses, or for free Lord Elwin's site and my free course.

Tag_jorrit

Hi Tag_jorrit.

The 9 and every 13th card is an old method used in continental and eastern Europe. You'll see it in a few books at the turn of the last century, particularly on 32 card spreads (the ancestor of the GT).

I cover it fully in my how to on the GT.
Any of those books in English? Where is your how to on the GT? On your blog?

garmonbozia

Lord Elwin's site and my free course.

Is your course on your blog? I'm not sure where to go to start. What about lord ewin's?
Thank you!

halil

Is your course on your blog? I'm not sure where to go to start. What about lord ewin's?
Thank you!

Andy's course is on his blog. On the left sidebar, you'll see "Cartomantes Cabinet." That's Andy's course. Ewin's site hasn't been updated for years.

Instead, you might try Cafe Lenormand. It has a really useful article to help you learn Lenormand.

ghost271

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.