Lenormand vs Playing Card Oracles

ann823

I'd like to try something other than tarot and these two are the ones I'm considering. From what I've read the Lenormand can be "blunter" than tarot and that is one thing that appeals to me, perhaps the Playing Card Oracles are the same. If you've used both, what are the strengths and weaknesses of these two systems? Are they used for different types of readings? Which would you recommend to start with?

Le Fanu

I'd go for Lenormand. I don't go for the "blunter" idea necessarily, I just find the cards very endearing and we're going to be seeing much more of them so you might as well learn them! I love the Playing Cards Oracle too but I have to confess after a few years of saying how much I love them, I cannot really read with them. I have read the book countless times, studied the cards and I just cannot settle on any meanings, either the actual system's meanings or my own made up ones. It's as if I'm constantly straining between the image which I know should mean something and then this void. I do readings and there is always that sense that I'm really not getting it. Lenormand, by comparison, is like a snowball, you just keep associating meanings. It starts coming so naturally after a while but I suppose that is just the difference between a deck you click with and one you don't.

I keep trying with the Playing Cards Oracle but there's a flatness about my attempts to read with it and yet I love the images.

DownUnderNZer

I'd like to try something other than tarot and these two are the ones I'm considering. From what I've read the Lenormand can be "blunter" than tarot and that is one thing that appeals to me, perhaps the Playing Card Oracles are the same. If you've used both, what are the strengths and weaknesses of these two systems? Are they used for different types of readings? Which would you recommend to start with?

I have used both if your talking about your everyday ordinary deck of playing cards.

I used the "playing cards" for years and followed a particular style/method. It was very accurate and covered all areas of ones life, but in a "general way". No questions needed to be asked, but the sitter did need to randomly select 13 cards. However, having said that, they were quite on to it from car accidents, hospital visits, buying homes/cars, baby girls or boys to be born, health problems, winning money to people you needed to watch out for! :)

May depend on what method you use, but I found for PLAYING CARDS and the method that I used:

STRENGTHS:

1) Covered alot of everyday things/events/people without being too negative or caught up in the macabre. e.g. Future death prediction.
2) Didnt need any questions at all.
3) Easy to read after some time individual cards, pairs, triples, combos and left to right...middle...front to back.

WEAKNESSES:

1) Couldnt always nail who it was talking about specifically outside of the sitter if other KINGS, QUEENS, JACKS came up as there were no star signs or physical traits to go by for the method I used. Would maybe get down to female or male - young or old, but that was it. However, at times sometimes the sitter could work it out, if there were things going on at the time with a particular person that fell into the card chosen at the time. eg Moody male.

The Lenormand tackle specific questions, I dont feel they are "blunter" as the tarot can be quite a reality kicker, however, the Lenormand have lesser cards to deal with and can be quite to the point if you know how to phrase your questions and are objective.

STRENGTHS:

1) Direct and to the point.
2) Less cards to shuffle and work with as a reader.
3) Specific questions/Specific answers.

WEAKNESSES:

1) May not show the layers and depths like Tarot would depending on what you want to find out in a question.
2)) Not as structured as tarot can be depending what method you learn. (I like that).

Hope that helps in some small way....

NOTE: Go with something like Blue Owl or Mystique to start with...traditional ones...avoid the ones with lots of writing as this can be distracting and/or if you understand French/German etc it may bias your own intuition or development.

celticnoodle

I have used both playing cards and the Ana Cortez Playing cards Oracle deck as well as now currently learning to use the Lenromand.

I'm not sure if it is just because the Lenormand is my 'new' interest, but I find them a bit more appealing.

While I do agree with Le Fanu that I don't really think the Lenormand is 'blunter', they just feel easier to grasp and they do seem to also be right on the mark. I've not used this deck yet for any clients-yet, just myself and a few close friends.

With the Ana Cortez playing card oracle, while I love the deck, I don't seem to really connect with them.

And, yet, when I first began to read cards, it was with an ordinary deck of playing cards, purchased at the drug store. I tried quite a few different ways to read, including the well known Hedgewitchery way for reading playing cards and then adapted a bit from here and there for my own style. I read this way for many years, and loved it and was considered 'quite good' by those for whom I read. But, then tarot took my interest and I got away from the playing cards and don't seem to want to go back to them for good.

The Lenormand I think is just so easy and it flows so easily. Perhaps it is the simplicity of the cards. Much like my oracle the Tea Leaf Fortune reading Cards, but not quite so many. That Tea Leaf Deck is simple to use also and I love it and seem to really read well w/it, but so many cards!

I also feel that Downunder covered each well with pointing out the weaknesses and strengths in a very good way. I will add that the Lenormand cards are generally smaller in size, (even compared to playing cards) and also not having quite as many cards, it is easier to handle and to carry with you.

so, right now the Lenormand gets my vote!

Bhavana

I only have one lenormand deck - but not because I don't like them - more because I don't want to look too closely and be tempted into a whole other area of collecting. I don't really even know how to use the lenormand.

But - I love the Playing Card Oracles. Find the deck easy to use, easy to understand, easy to read with. And interesting. This may be because I have some past experience with reading with regular playing cards - but even if I hadn't, I think I'd still like the system.

It wouldn't cost too much to experiment with the PCO deck - you can buy a mini from USGames for $8.

ann823

Thanks everybody! While I like the pictures on the playing card oracles I'm really leaning toward the Lenormand, at least to try first. The Blue Owl deck has the verses on instead of the playing card inserts, is that preferable? I think I like the look of the Mystical more...I can see how these could become addicting!
Any tips on learning to read with them? Bpoks, websites?

DownUnderNZer

Thanks everybody! While I like the pictures on the playing card oracles I'm really leaning toward the Lenormand, at least to try first. The Blue Owl deck has the verses on instead of the playing card inserts, is that preferable? I think I like the look of the Mystical more...I can see how these could become addicting!
Any tips on learning to read with them? Bpoks, websites?

Blue Owl has been revised from what I heard and Mystical is now my preferred deck although that only happened as of yesterday. :)

Lots of threads on here and two that have the German and French broken down for everyone. Also, a lenormand class. Only a few books out in English. Some good websites. So, you have lots of options. There are practise threads on here too.

ann823

That's a great site, celticnoodle. Why do some have the playing cards on them and other verses and others niether?

Le Fanu

It wouldn't cost too much to experiment with the PCO deck - you can buy a mini from USGames for $8.
?? You mean a small deck of playing cards? Not the Ana Cortez set, surely...