Cicada spread (5)

Ze Monsta's Haus

This is a spread I've been tinkering with that's inspired by cicadas, which are a potent symbol for me. For those that don't know, cicadas once hatched burrow into the ground for the duration of the nymph/dormant stage. In magicicadas this period typically lasts 13-17 years depending on brood. They then all simultaneously emerge from the ground, molt their shells and enter the imago/adult stage. At which point they sing and reproduce.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada for more scientific information, audio clips, images, as well as mythology and symbolism.

Anyway, this spread was created to give you perspective on things that you may be holding dormant.

1) Nymph/dormancy: What are you holding dormant or unused? This could be knowledge, a talent, an emotion, etc.

2) Emergence: How can you awaken it?

3) Molting: What can you leave behind that is holding you back or constraining you in your efforts to utilize that which is dormant?

4) Imago/maturation: How can you utilize it or make the most of it?

5) Song: How will it transform or change you and your life?

The layout is a T shape:

3*4*5
**2**
**1**

The thinking behind this is that in 1 and 2 you're dormant and emerging. In 3 this is something you want to leave behind you, 4 is something you're doing right now to use whatever is dormant, and 5 is how this will transform you--the results of which are still unknown.

I hope this is useful!

astronautica

This is such a beautiful spread, and you've fitted it in so well within the theme of the cicada's life-cycle. Thank you for sharing, I look forward to trying it out!

Ze Monsta's Haus

Oh, that's very kind of you :) This is the first spread I've written so I wasn't sure how well it would go over. I'd love to know how your reading goes for you.

Gitarist72

This is one for the archives! My personal archives at least! It was the perfect spread when I needed it. It told me I am one tough sucker and I have a fight ahead of me. It continued to provide me with support and hints on how to triumph over my adversary. Thanks for this great spread!

Trogon

Fabulous! Another one for my notebook. I love the flow and the symbolism you used in creating the spread itself. Definitely one I'll have to try out. ... ... hitting "print" ...