Chinese Fortune Sticks

stellar4

I found a beautiful set of Chinese Fortune Sticks in a charity shop yesterday. There are 60 of them, numbered but with chinese characters on them too. They came in a red leather covered wooden cylinder decorated with a dragon and a phoenix. I gather that for divination purposes the cylinder is shaken and tilted until one of the wooden pieces protrudes or falls away from the others - that is the one that denotes your fortune!

I am dying to get on and use it, but there is a slight technical hitch - no booklet with it.
I've scoured the net but there is nothing online. Any chance that some wonderful ATer has this set and wouldnt mind letting me have a copy of the booklet?

I have no idea what it is called but know this set is still being produced and sold and is unusual because it contains 60 sticks rather than the usual 78 or 100.

Anyone?!

Emily

I found a beautiful set of Chinese Fortune Sticks in a charity shop yesterday. There are 60 of them, numbered but with chinese characters on them too. They came in a red leather covered wooden cylinder decorated with a dragon and a phoenix. I gather that for divination purposes the cylinder is shaken and tilted until one of the wooden pieces protrudes or falls away from the others - that is the one that denotes your fortune!

I am dying to get on and use it, but there is a slight technical hitch - no booklet with it.
I've scoured the net but there is nothing online. Any chance that some wonderful ATer has this set and wouldnt mind letting me have a copy of the booklet?

I have no idea what it is called but know this set is still being produced and sold and is unusual because it contains 60 sticks rather than the usual 78 or 100.

Anyone?!

This might not be what you are looking for but I found it so thought I would post.

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/pdfs/chinese_fortune_sticks.pdf

:)

Emily

I also found another site where you can download booklets from but I'm wary of downloading onto my laptop so i can't verify this site.

I've deleted this site, I couldn't get it to download to my ipad and it seemed to be riddled with ads.

stellar4

Thank-you Emily for all of your efforts! I've looked at a few sites that say you can download Fortune Stick meanings but they don't look as if they will be too good for the health of my computer.......
Never mind, will keep on looking.

stellar4

Thanks for that Pathwalker, but it doesnt look like the one for my set. (However, ended up looking at more of the site and seeing even more books I want!!)
I'll keep on looking.

Milfoil

I've just come across a set of 100 sticks for £2 but number 19 and 32 are missing so I will have to make a couple to complete the set. They are just strips of bamboo with a notched top and dipped in red lacquer.

Milfoil

Found this site which has the original Chinese meanings (in Chinese) for the 100 sticks of the Kau Cim sticks. (Called Chi Chi sticks in the American edition of 78 sticks).

http://www.csfqw.com/html/97/list1.html

I tried using Google translate but it's not too clear. Do we have any Chinese speakers here who could translate?

Milfoil

I also found translations (literal) of the Kuan Yin oracle (100 poems) also used in the same way. Apparently there are many books of 100 poems (ascribed to different deities) which can be used with the 100 oracle sticks depending on the deity being worshipped and prayed to.

Kuan Yin poems translation into English

Scroll down!

Edit: or this is a file of the poems I put together from the information on that site.

Attachments

• Kuan Yin poems.doc
    97 KB · Views: 173