Just curious about I Ching readers

bradford

Hi all-
I just had to speak up here. This is a really great list for Tarot questions.
But nobody here knows Diddly Squat about the Yijing and there's a lot of bad advice and suggestions getting posted on these forums. There's some good stuff in the archives if you know where to look but nobody wants to bother using the search engine, so the same old stuff gets repeated ad nauseum. To actually hear someone recommend Diane Stein's "I Ching for Stupid Angry Lesbians" was the last straw for me.
You really should go to a good Yijing site for advice on this subject. Preferably one put together by someone who knows the book in the original Chinese. I personally would start by taking the free tutorial at Clarity, and reading the book reviews there and at the Steve Marshall / Joel Birocco site.

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/index.html
http://www.biroco.com/yijing/
http://www.anton-heyboer.org/i_ching/yi_index.html

I don't recommend my own site for beginners, but there is a great bibliography here:
http://www.hermetica.info/F-YiBib.htm

Sheri

This was probably not the way to go...

I tried I Ching with a kit I bought at Barnes and Noble. It came with yarrow stalks. I liked it but it seemed to take a long time to do a reading.

valeria :D

thinbuddha

Beginner getting something out of your site

bradford said:
I don't recommend my own site for beginners, but there is a great bibliography.....

Thanks for the info Bradford. I actually stumbled across your site on my own looking for translations that I could read, and I am finding your "Introduction" and "History" sections very helpful in forming a picture of "what's going on in the world of I Ching". It never really occured to me that the translations would be so wildly different from one another.

I just started looking at your (non-matrix) translation today, very breifly, and found myself..... needing a little more time and attention than I could spare it at the moment :)

I finally ordered the Thomas Cleary translation (mostly because I like the packaging of the Shambahla books and because I saw it in bold in your bibliography.) The reviews on Amazon were mixed, so I'm not sure what to expect- but it's a place to start.

Thanks for the reference links- I have seen a great number of sites- at least 90% of them were useless. Clarity was one I've spent some time looking at, but I hadn't come across the others yet.

Alta

Thanks bradford and I appreciate your post and references. I have Stein's book and it only still remains because I find it hard to throw out books.

And I agree, no one here really knows much about it because most of us are tarot people, but appreciate help!

Fulgour

bradford said:
...nobody here knows Diddly Squat about the Yijing...
I do! :laugh: I do! I know diddly squat!

did·dly-squat also did·dly·squat
n. Slang

A small or worthless amount.

[Alteration of diddlysh*t (influenced by doodly-squat)
diddly (probably from diddle2) + sh*t, an intensive.]

diddle2 : To jerk up and down or back and forth.

poivre

Sorry...
my post means Diddly Squat.

Mods can delete if you wish.
No offence taken.

ros :)

Rainbow Aurora

bradford said:
.... and there's a lot of bad advice and suggestions getting posted on these forums.
Hmmmm... I would hate to think I was posting bad advice
to others. Whilst I have quite a good number of I Ching..
sorry~ Yijing, books I do use my Alfred Douglas copy quite
a lot and think of him as a respected Author I am glad to
see he is listed in the bibliography site quoted.

Rainbow

Sophie

Rainbow Aurora said:
Hmmmm... I would hate to think I was posting bad advice to others. Whilst I have quite a good number of I Ching..
sorry~ Yijing, books I do use my Alfred Douglas copy quite
a lot and think of him as a respected Author I am glad to
see he is listed in the bibliography site quoted.
LOL. Ditto for me and the bad advice :D. I am enjoying Stephen Karcher's rather strange translation - used alongside Wilhelm's and Master Huang's, for contrast - but my real reference is a book in French, by Javary and Faure, which is considered THE reference in French for translation and commentary. Sadly, however, it is not in the bibliography, which is monoglot (in English). But nobody's perfect, even people who do know diddly squat about Yi Jing or I-Ching or the Book of Changes ;)

Of course, if I were really serious, I'd learn ancient Chinese.

bradford

The Douglas book is a fair, if slightly dated rendering. It's a decent version.
Karcher is a little too deconstruuctionist for me - I like to think that the authors were actually trying to convey intended meanings in coherent sentences.
Lest anyone think I'm anti-feminist, Barbara Walker (who also wrote The Woman’s Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects and The Woman’s Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets) wrote a fairly deep and articulate book on the Yi from that perspective -- I Ching of the Goddess. Only it isn't a translation and it doesn't have the line texts. She represents the bright, smokin' hot lesbians.