Runes

Shadow Wolf

Are runes difficult to learn. If I buy a set, will it come with a book explaining them ??

Is this a good way to start ??

I just pulled the Crane in the Celtic Animal Oracle and it said that the crane was the guardian of the sacred alphabet and it recommended that I try to read runes to gain greater insight and
advance on my spiritual path!!

Any suggestions ??

I'm going to Barnes and Noble today and they carry a Celtic Rune
kit. I've been interested in this for quite some time but it seemed
a bit complicated !!

Thanks for the input!!

Umbrae

Shadow Wolf said:
Are runes difficult to learn. If I buy a set, will it come with a book explaining them ??

Any suggestions ??

I'm going to Barnes and Noble today and they carry a Celtic Rune
kit.

AHHHHHHHHH…Umbrae runs from room screaming.

Runes are not difficult to learn. And there are a ton of books out there on them. Most of the books are wonderful – for starting fires. I always carry one for survival purposes. If you boil the pages…

I only recommend 2.5 books on Runes. The one by Paul Rhys Mountfort (Nordic Runes), or by Kveldulf Gundarsson (Teutonic Magic). Edred Thorsson wrote a ton of books. They are the same one written over and over with few changes in the presentation so he could put a different title on them.

If the book has a 25th or Blank Rune…Put it down and keep walking..

Runes…There’s a lot of krap on the market. I prefer stone, or wood. There are a ceramic and composite out there – in the stores and on E-Bay that I cannot recommend. If you want to use wood, begin with a hardwood, and think about carving your own.

Also, the Rune section here is not to be overlooked.

zorya

the 'book' i use the most is the one i printed out from the links listed here;

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15597

i've not yet read the first book umbrae mentioned (but am making a note to remind myself to do so). i would also recommend edred thorsson's 'runecasters handbook', and 'gundarsonn's teutonic magic'.

i much prefer to use divination tools made from natural products. i believe that they carry vibrations that man made materials, like the composites used in many rune sets, cannot. plus, they feel really good!

raeanne

Hi Shadow Wolf,
I suggest that you make your own set of Runes. There are very few, if any, commercially prepared sets that will give you the energy that you will get from your own set. Runes deal with a very primal energy. By making your own set, you help open the pathway to connect with this energy. Runes aren't difficult to learn but they are very different from Tarot. The books that have been suggested are very good. Enjoy!

dolphinprincess

Tara Hill Designs (she has a website) makes beautiful handcrafted Rune sets. You can choose the wood. She also has a ton of info about runes on her site, as well as sells a self-published book....

I think you can buy a set too that allows you to carve the runes yourself.

Astraea

Here's a link to the Tara Hill site: http://www.tarahill.com/

The wooden rune sets and wands are lovely and look as if they are crafted with respect.

Shadow Wolf

Thanks for the info !!!

I'll conider all of it before I make a decision !!!

Umbrae

I like the Tara Hill Runes...

I have a set of Yew staves and Bog Oak squares...They rock...of course I will never turn my back on my stones.

Working with stones is a wonderful thing. Very different than wood, but equally accurate readings...

Difficult to explain the difference.

DesertHowler

making your own runes

I made my own runes and it was quite an experience. I used a branch that fell at my feet from a friendly maple tree. I sliced the branch into eliptical slices on a band saw and drew the runes on them with a pencil. Then I went over the lines with my nephew's wood burning set. It is really a simple process.

When I finished the set, I made a bag for them from a scrap of buckskin.

I put them at the head of my bed and had to move them because the energy kept me awake.

I can't imagine ever buying a set of runes.

DH

Shadow Wolf

I did go to B&N last night. I picked up a set of Norse Runes.

They are made from terra-cotta. The book goes into details on
making your own as well. It also give the history and mythology of runes. I'm finding it fascinating. I saw one of the books th at Umbrae recommended, I'll be picking it up over the weekend.

As soon as I opened them and felt them in my hands, it felt like
I had been reunited with an old friend.

Thanks for the information. Can't wait to use them !!!