'The Runes of Elfland'

rota

There's a lovely book of paintings by Brian Froud that I noticed on the shelves recently - 'The Runes of Elfland'. Remember his books of fairy paintings? Same guy.
Rune fans, check it out. I think the accomplished rune readers will find this popularization to be a sort of vindication of their interest in Norse lore, and the neophytes will find their dawning interest piqued by these wonderful images.

Here's an easy link if you feel like a quick look: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0810946122/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

(I keep hoping Froud will decide to paint a tarot deck...)

lark

Thank-you for the tip rota

I love Frouds work and I'm just getting into runes so I'm checking this one out!
I just read that the Faeie's Oracle Deck started out as a tarot deck but that the faeries stopped him. They said they wanted their own oracle deck instead.

So I guess as long as Mr Froud is letting those faeries boss him around we won't be seeing a tarot deck out of him. But I'd be the first one in line to buy it if he did.

dolphinprincess

I am thinking of buying a set of runes.. and as I love Froud's artwork, I was thinking of getting this book to help me along..

For those that have the book.. are the runes in the book the 24-rune Elder (Germanic) Futhark ??

Thank you!!!!

skytwig

From the website:

"Brian and I, as artists and each in our own time, stood before the runes and both asked the same thing: 'What are you hiding, then?' We wanted to know what stories stood behind the ancient letters. We wanted to see where those stories might take us. We wanted to find the hidden lands within the lore. Brian painted. I wrote. This book is our answer to that question, our record of what we found within the runes." ~ Ari Berk

Cool, eh? ;)

dolphinprincess

thanks skytwig.. what a cool video trailer on this site.. and the music to the video is awesome!!

lark

Hi dolphinprincess

There are 26 Runes in the Froud book.
There is a poem for each rune. Then a story from the elf perspective about the rune. And then a section that is called the gift. That tells you what that rune means and what it brings to us.
It's a very beautiful book with great art.

The picture for the rune of fortune/divination perdhro/pertra is so wonderful. To me it is the perfect picture of the High Priestess.
Makes me wish even harder that he would do a tarot deck.

They never write the name of the rune in the book they just show a symbol and an identifying word like Wealth, Fortune, Companionship ect.
This very simpified way of doing it actually has helped me remember the meaning better. Now I see a rune and I might not know what it's proper name is yet, but I'm begining to know what it represents and means.
The stories really help cement the meaning in your mind.

I've been reading one rune story every night. And I'm really enjoying this book.
Hope this helped you a little. Namaste. lark

skytwig

rota said:
(I keep hoping Froud will decide to paint a tarot deck...)
Well, did you know that he (& Wendy) tried, but the Faeries wouldn't let them........ :)

lark

lark said:
!
I just read that the Faeie's Oracle Deck started out as a tarot deck but that the faeries stopped him. They said they wanted their own oracle deck instead.

So I guess as long as Mr Froud is letting those faeries boss him around we won't be seeing a tarot deck out of him. But I'd be the first one in line to buy it if he did.

YUP! LOL. I sure do know that, but I still hope those faeries will change their minds one day....

dolphinprincess

Lark, thank you very much for a great description of the book.. ! That helped me quite a bit.

I think I'm going to have to get this.. (was there any doubt???) I also think the stories will be very helpful in remembering and learning the runes... ..

Froud is just amazing!!!!