Quotes that 'hit the spot'

Zephyros

And if we're on the subject of Rumi, here's one that actually was the one that made me take up Tarot in the first place. It was in an Enigma album booklet.

Allah

I tried to find Him on the Christian cross, but He
was not there; I went to the Temple of the
Hindus and to the old pagodas, but I could not
find a trace of Him anywhere.

I searched on the mountains and in the valleys
but neither in the heights nor in the depths was I
able to find Him. I went to the Ka'bah in Mecca,
but He was not there either.

I questioned the scholars and philosophers but
He was beyond their understanding.

I then looked into my heart and it was there
where He dwelled that I saw Him; He was
nowhere else to be found.

danieljuk

I often say to myself "whatever happens you will be okay" to get through things. It's always been true, whatever happened!

I've always loved this Andy Warhol quote:
The most exciting attractions are between two opposites that never meet

Sulis

My signature:

'Be excellent to each other' from 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure' - says it all really.. If everyone was excellent to each other the World would be a much better place.

And then the Roal Dahl quote - I have it framed above my work area and I love it:
'And above all watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it'.

Milfoil

One I came across today which made me think:

I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

First it made me think about even having enemies in the first place, surely that is not a desirable way to be but sometimes it cannot be helped and it's their issue with anger, truth or otherwise not necessarily mine. It only becomes my problem when an enemy wishes to build bridges and I refuse.

Flaxen

“Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance.” Epicurus

This is something I'm trying to work towards - more joyful experiences and less 'stuff'.

enchanted spirit

One of my favourites, which I DO find genuinely useful, is from a children's book:

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst," said Little My.

Recurs throughout the Moomins: Tove Jansson

Wow! I used to say that all the time but didn't know it was a quote. LOL

Ok, mine would probably be:

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself." from Ralph Waldo Emerson. It reminds me that I decide how I react to things.

Richard

"A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent." --William Blake

Sulis

'The best things in life are not things'... don't know who said it but I think it's a good one.

Bhavana

on being stingy and miserly:

you'll never see a luggage rack on a hearse

Debra

"What you are looking for is what is looking." Attributed to St. Francis.