What would you say is the scariest/creepiest Tarot deck?

videojob8

In terms of artwork.

Le Fanu

The Barbara Walker deck. It doesn't even try to be scary like these jumped-up teen vamp decks of nowadays.

There is just something unsettlingly odd and wrong about it.

Lokismile

The Barbara Walker deck. It doesn't even try to be scary like these jumped-up teen vamp decks of nowadays.

There is just something unsettlingly odd and wrong about it.

I was just talking to my girlfriend about the Walker last night. I am going to open my sealed copy from my collection and show it to her tomorrow.

The Luciferian, which I use regularly, evokes everything from concern to superstitious fear based on a theoretical, sight-unseen response. The more troublesome cards of the Thoth, however, hit much harder in person.

Lokismile

p.s. the Alchemical wedding is now on my purchase list

SixDegrees

I find the art on the Tapestry Tarot quite unsettling. I'm also unsettled by the fact that it is still in print.

Starshower

I think mine is the Liber T. The lovely colours & title, which initially drew me in, make its pictures all the more shudder-inducing when scrutinised. I'm happy to sell my copy, if anyone's interested.
I agree with Le Fanu too. This does feel weirdly 'wrong'.

If anyone's opening a book, I'll bet there'll be a few mentions of the Hanson-Roberts as creepy (though I actually like it) and the insect-y Secret Forest, which I love the idea of, but can't face the creepy-crawlies - they make me itch! :-o

eta Just checked out the Tapestry & eugh! I quite agree - it's quite scarily horrid.

swedishfish612

I know that the Cosmic has a big fan base here, but something about it creeps me out big time. I looked at it once, then put it under my bed and tried to forget that I bought it! I looked it at a second time when the long thread about it kept getting bumped, and I didn't find it quite as creepy as the first time, but it still felt unsettling to me. There are a lot of weird looking dudes in that deck.

Yet, I keep it. Partly b/c everyone loves it so much and I'm afraid I'll change my mind and be sorry I got rid of it.

Cocobird55

Deviant Moon. I tried very hard to like this deck, but it just didn't happen for me. I passed it on to a friend who likes it just fine.

Tarotwolf

Phantasmagoric Theater Tarot is downright creepy in a perverted sort of way. Not the sort of emotions I want to access when reading cards.