Arthurian Tarot - which edition has the white borders?

Carla

I have the Arthurian published in 1990 with black arches, which I like very much. I would also like to have one with the white borders. Which should I order to get the white cards?

merissa_88

This one has the white borders.

Elendil

So the green box that says 'New Edition' on the front? I am in the UK and so amazon.com isn't viable for me. Would it be this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Arthuri...2105/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355644585&sr=8-1

Hi Carla. The one you link to IS the one with white borders. The original edition is actually out of print and very hard to find....

I have both. I would love to know which one you prefer...I hope you let us know once you have got your copy of the new edition.

Carla

Hi Carla. The one you link to IS the one with white borders. The original edition is actually out of print and very hard to find....

I have both. I would love to know which one you prefer...I hope you let us know once you have got your copy of the new edition.

Oh really? I'm glad I managed to get a copy a year or two ago, then. I trimmed the white edges off, leaving only the black, and I really love them that way. They look rather spectacular when laid out on a black reading cloth!

I will report back when I have the white ones. :) Could I ask which you yourself prefer?

Elendil

Could I ask which you yourself prefer?

I prefer the black one...with the white edges trimmed off (just like you did) - the images have more of a feel of looking through portals into another far distant world this way...

Le Fanu

I have both. And I have two copies of the white bordered ones...

There was much comment about how people prefer the black-bordered ones at the time of the newer edition and so I felt I had to track down a black-bordered one. Not sure it was worth all the searching. And the white-bordered one is so cheap!

The white-bordered one is very nice and as a deck set - compact box with thickish LWB - it is much nicer I think, especially for carrying around (if one is so inclined). The colours are pretty similar. Obviously, the black borders and white borders set the image off differently.

But you know, I sometimes think that if this deck had no people whatsoever in, it would be much nicer and truly revolutionary. I get so much from the landscapes and rolling hills and trees, I secretly wish the Arthurian figures didn't clutter up the views. But that would completely take away the true point of the deck.

RavenOfSummer

Hi all! I know this is an old thread but...I'm still confused and trying to figure out which editions of the Arthurian Tarot have black borders versus white borders? I am hoping to find a white borders edition. Any help is appreciated :)

Also, for the black border versions, it looks like there is one plain black border version, and another black border with gold Celtic knots in the upper corners? Is that correct?

PathWalker

Hi all! I know this is an old thread but...I'm still confused and trying to figure out which editions of the Arthurian Tarot have black borders versus white borders? I am hoping to find a white borders edition. Any help is appreciated :)

Also, for the black border versions, it looks like there is one plain black border version, and another black border with gold Celtic knots in the upper corners? Is that correct?

Yes that is correct.
All the very first versions had plain black arched shaped borders. The deck came in several box types - a clam shell, a cardboard slip case and a boxed set with a plain journal and book. I could find pictures (probably) if you need them. The backs have the figure of a seated woman on them and are not reversible. Dated around 1990 plus a few I would think.

Then there was a reprint of the deck in 2006 - it was done by "Connections" it was called the 'new edition', and it came in a green box that is deck-sized. It had white arch shaped borders with gold curlicues, green backs and a small purple coloured paperback LWB. It's ISBN is 978-1-85906-210-4.
I don't know that it came in any other format, but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

Then is 2014 came "The Complete Arthurian Tarot" - also by Connections. It's the same artwork, but the cards are black arch shaped borders with the gold curlicues and green backs. Bigger box, and an expanded book to include stuff from previously separate volumes. ISBN 978-1-85906-388-0.

I'll see if I can find images...

PathWalker (the Arthurian tarot nerd :) )

PathWalker

Three different formats for the first colourway
(images shamelessly pinched from the net)

http://nzcraighill.weebly.com/uploads/4/9/4/2/4942268/7624961.jpg

https://img0.etsystatic.com/138/0/12941290/il_214x170.968281114_l51k.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSS9-K5rsyC5ToFqL7EzKQsDq4KX87ougjZoH9qd975WOLTjYtH

These versions are the only ones I know of with plain black arch shaped borders. That third image is the packing for the deck, book and journal done by Thorsons, but the deck is just the same images, although thicker card stock.
The backs look like this

http://www.seagrief.com/images/workshop1-top.jpg