Elemental Dignities Study Group Discussion & Index Thread

Xrysalida

The reading can be found here. I've already posted a reply to it.

Rodney
I tried to find the reading and your inter. I want to see it :)
but the link says that the page is not found and I didn't find it either in Your Readings

rwcarter

I fat fingered the link. Try the link in my original post again. Sorry about that.

Kissa

Hi all,
Elemental Dignity Rules
- Fire and Air are friendly and strengthen each other for good or ill
- Water and Earth are friendly and strengthen each other for good or ill
- Fire and Water are unfriendly and weaken each other
- Air and Earth are unfriendly and weaken each other
- Fire and Earth are neutral to each other, but neutral interactions are considered friendly
- Air and Water are neutral to each other, but neutral interactions are considered friendly

My semi scientific and wannabe logical mind has trouble with the Air/Earth unfriendly (nature needs an atmosphere to grow and develop) and Fire/Earth neutral (fire destroy what grows).
I just can't accept a statement if I don't see the logic behind it. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying it is BS, I just need to know how one comes to this conclusion and I am really looking forward to developing my knowledge of elemental dignities.

Kissa

Samweiss

Hi all,

My semi scientific and wannabe logical mind has trouble with the Air/Earth unfriendly (nature needs an atmosphere to grow and develop) and Fire/Earth neutral (fire destroy what grows).
I just can't accept a statement if I don't see the logic behind it. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying it is BS, I just need to know how one comes to this conclusion and I am really looking forward to developing my knowledge of elemental dignities.

Kissa

I'm no expert on the subject but this is how I see it:

Water/Earth: Friendly combination. Water makes the earth fertile and helps things grow. Both are passive elements.

Air/Earth: Unfriendly combination. Air don't like to be contained and heaviness of the Earth drags it down. Here active and passive elements don't mix well.

Fire/Earth: Friendly combination. Sure, fire have the power to destroy, but it also can bring life. This is seen in process of burn-clearing where plant matter is roughly cut down and then burned over to prepare fields for the next crop.

Hope this helps! :)

Richard

.....Air/Earth: Unfriendly combination. Air don't like to be contained and heaviness of the Earth drags it down. Here active and passive elements don't mix well......
That's as good an explanation as any. However, without Earth, there would be no Air: Without the gravitational field provided by the Earth, the molecules of the gases comprising air would disperse and dissipate into outer space.

I don't think it is possible to justifiy ED rationally. It's more a system of abstract algebraic rules. The so-called 'reason' for Air and Earth being 'unfriendly' is just a learning device: an artifice to jog our memory about how Air and Earth interract in the context of ED. Likewise, 'Water puts out Fire' just reminds us that Water and Fire are 'unfriendly' as regards ED. Otherwise, fire and water combine to make steam (in physics) or the Philosopher's Stone (in alchemy).

Samweiss

I don't think it is possible to justifiy ED rationally. It's more a system of abstract algebraic rules. The so-called 'reason' for Air and Earth being 'unfriendly' is just a learning device: an artifice to jog our memory about how Air and Earth interract in the context of ED. Likewise, 'Water puts out Fire' just reminds us that Water and Fire are 'unfriendly' as regards ED. Otherwise, fire and water combine to make steam (in physics) or the Philosopher's Stone (in alchemy).

You are right, of course, we shouldn't take ED's too literally. In our lowly plane of existence, we don't even experience the elements in their purest form. :D We can only experience combinations of them. Like in the classic example of mountain stream: In addition to being water, the stream consists of fire in the form of heat from the sun. Element air is the oxygen and earth the minerals in the water. Bit simple way of seeing these things, yes. But it's a tool for learning them.

laurence

Hello!

I was wondering if any of you pay particular attention to an ace as a central card in a triad??
I've found this information on this page about ED:
http://www.corax.com/tarot/index.html?elemental-dignities-triad

According to them an Ace is an exception to the rule because It is the source of their element.
My exemple is: Fire Ace of cups Fire.
Basically, the central water should be weakened because of the 2 fire flanking cards.
Do you think an Ace can survive among unfriendly surroundings?? Have you ever had this combo before?

Thanks.

rwcarter

I've never heard of an Ace being an exception to any of the ED rules. The link you provided doesn't go directly to where that's stated and I don't have time to look through the site right now, but will in a couple of hours.

Ziev

Hi there,

I know this thread has been inactive for a bit however I am just starting to learn ED's and want to clarify that I understand how to read them and I need to say/type it out to comprehend it a bit better. Please let me know if this is correct.

Card A - Card B - Card C

B is the main focus. Then I think the following needs to be taken into consideration:

BA, BC, AC and then ABC to read the cards. Is this correct?

Also, Rodney (if you are reading this) you are a wealth of information and I really appreciate all the work you put into this thread and the EDSG threads. Thank you. :)

Best ~Ziev

rwcarter

Card A - Card B - Card C

B is the main focus. Then I think the following needs to be taken into consideration:

BA, BC, AC and then ABC to read the cards. Is this correct?
IIRC, by traditional Golden Dawn rules, AC is only looked at when they are opposites, and then they knock each other out, leaving just B. I never pay attention to AC and by looking at BA and BC, I think I cover ABC pretty well.

Also, Rodney (if you are reading this) you are a wealth of information and I really appreciate all the work you put into this thread and the EDSG threads. Thank you. :)

Best ~Ziev
Thanks Ziev! If you have any questions about the previous exercises, please post them in the appropriate exercise. I still have my Original Rider Waite deck set aside with the already pulled cards on the bottom and the remaining cards on the top. I'm happy to post new exercises if/when there is interest.

Rodney