What's the Deal with This Dinner Invitation?

Rhoswen

Mods: My bad! I meant to post this in Your Readings. Pls. move, if you wish. SORRY!

Recently a couple whom I know only superficially asked me to dinner at their home... next month! The invitation came out of the blue—we've never before socialized. My suspicion is that the dinner conversation will include a request for me to help them on some yet-to-be-disclosed project (they're very involved in the organization to which we all belong).

Deck: Aquarian—no reversals Query: Tell me about having dinner with this couple.

Chariot / 9 of Pentacles / Devil

I read the 9 of Pentacles as me and how I aspire to be. (This card has come up before with this meaning in previous readings from others, not just self-readings.) Chariot indicates that I need to exert some effort to keep heading in the direction I want to go, i.e., the 9 of Pentacles situation. The Devil suggests that I might be tempted to say yes—they might employ flattery to appeal to one of the soft spots in my vanity.

Can anyone shed light on this for me? Thank you in advance!!

GotH

Recently a couple whom I know only superficially asked me to dinner at their home... next month! The invitation came out of the blue—we've never before socialized. My suspicion is that the dinner conversation will include a request for me to help them on some yet-to-be-disclosed project (they're very involved in the organization to which we all belong).

Deck: Aquarian—no reversals Query: Tell me about having dinner with this couple.

I read the 9 of Pentacles as me and how I aspire to be. (This card has come up before with this meaning in previous readings from others, not just self-readings.) Chariot indicates that I need to exert some effort to keep heading in the direction I want to go, i.e., the 9 of Pentacles situation. The Devil suggests that I might be tempted to say yes—they might employ flattery to appeal to one of the soft spots in my vanity.

Hmmmm.... Yeah, I read more of what their intent is. They have a personal agenda (Chariot) that is singularly based on making money (9 of Pents) that they are currently passionate about. (Devil)

Maryon

I feel these cards are saying that they are interested in moving ahead with your abundance...in whatever form that may take...your assistance, perhaps advice or financial. they may be a bit covert about their agenda so be on the look out....be very clear about any proposals made to you.

what is your gut feeling about them?

x MAryon

Rhoswen

Hmmmm.... Yeah, I read more of what their intent is. They have a personal agenda (Chariot) that is singularly based on making money (9 of Pents) that they are currently passionate about. (Devil)

Your interpretation makes a lot of sense. Yes, indeed. It will be interesting to see if they do have an agenda, and, if so, what exactly it is.

Thank you, goddess of the hunter!

Rhoswen

I feel these cards are saying that they are interested in moving ahead with your abundance...in whatever form that may take...your assistance, perhaps advice or financial. they may be a bit covert about their agenda so be on the look out....be very clear about any proposals made to you.

what is your gut feeling about them?

x MAryon

My gut feeling is that they DO have an agenda, which they'll share over dinner. It's hard to say in advance what precisely that might involve. Perhaps some kind of paying gig? Who knows. This should prove interesting.

Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate your insight.

prudence

Mods: My bad! I meant to post this in Your Readings. Pls. move, if you wish. SORRY!

Going on the idea that you are the 9 Pents gal in this picture, and assuming that you are not using "past, present, future" spread

It looks like you (9pents)will be offered something, an opportunity that can be a roaring success on the one hand (Chariot) or something that can easily become some kind of slavish burden on the other (Devil).

The summary is 4, Emperor. Does the man in question hold more authority or sway in this organization than you? I ask because with this summary I am wondering if it will boil down to him wanting something from you, and if he holds a lot more power than you do within the organization maybe there will be a strong sense of needing to go ahead and do it.

willowfox

Query: Tell me about having dinner with this couple.

***"There's no such thing as a free dinner". So, after you have consumed their food it would seem that you will owe them a favour, its a trap for the unwary. One can easily catch a turkey with a few grains of corn.

Rhoswen

Going on the idea that you are the 9 Pents gal in this picture, and assuming that you are not using "past, present, future" spread

It looks like you (9pents)will be offered something, an opportunity that can be a roaring success on the one hand (Chariot) or something that can easily become some kind of slavish burden on the other (Devil).

The summary is 4, Emperor. Does the man in question hold more authority or sway in this organization than you? I ask because with this summary I am wondering if it will boil down to him wanting something from you, and if he holds a lot more power than you do within the organization maybe there will be a strong sense of needing to go ahead and do it.

Not authority, no. But definitely more status and sway. He's got a named position, is in charge of stuff, and does a good job, actually. But we're all mere volunteers, in the end. I've worked with him, at a distance, on several very small projects.

My instinct is that yes, they/he will want something from me. Thank you, especially for the additional insight about the quint card.

Rhoswen

***"There's no such thing as a free dinner". So, after you have consumed their food it would seem that you will owe them a favour, its a trap for the unwary. One can easily catch a turkey with a few grains of corn.

Sooo.... having been made an offer (invitation) that I couldn't refuse, must I now roll over and cry, "Gobble, gobble"? :-D

I think you've nailed one possible outcome! Do you see in the cards any suggestion for how to avoid a trap?

Thanks for your response, Willowfox.

willowfox

Do you see in the cards any suggestion for how to avoid a trap?

***Politely decline the invitation, as you have a prior appointment elsewhere.