Books for learning about Runes, particularly Rune Divination

Ace of Stars

I've got Ralph Blum's book, The Book of Runes, but looking on Goodreads I see a lot of criticism about the information he shares.

So, what are some GREAT books about runes? I consider myself a beginner.

Thank you!

Aeric

I highly recommend Tara Hill's Runic Journey.

http://www.tarahill.com/runes/

The meanings are available as a text file.

I approve this one because it gives a distinctly Norse perspective of the runic meanings, and utilizes the direct lines from the Icelandic runic poems.

For example, Blum and other books often give Ansuz ᚨ as generic 'god' or 'God' and it means a higher power is working in your life. TH specifically lists it as Odin and how the attributes of Odin appear in castings. The modern "blank" rune, often called "Odin's Rune," is ignored.

Richard

I am not afraid to admit that I like the Edred Thorsson (Stephen Flowers) books. His academic qualifications are impressive, his books are readable, and he is objective: taking into account contradictory source material. Don't let the McCarthyite witch hunters scare you off: Thorsson is not a Nazi.

magpie9

I recommend Diana Paxton's "taking up the Runes". Deep, understandable, well written, excellent. Her research is impeccable. I like Thorsson a lot too, but I think Paxton is better.

frac_ture

Ace of Stars, there was a thread running about this subject not too terribly long ago that you might want to check out here. I wrote little entries about a few of the Rune books in my collection, and a few other people chipped in some of their thoughts on the subject, too, so it might be helpful for you to take a look (it's not too long, either).

I echo Aeric's praise for Tara Hill's site -- that's actually where I got my own Runes, and the meanings section there really helped to get me started when I began my studies in this area.

I'm also with magpie9 in liking Diana Paxson's Taking Up The Runes. I haven't actually read it through, cover to cover, but the more I dip into it, the more I'm appreciating it. I wrote a bit about it in that other thread.

Also, several of us have been doing a Rune Reading Exchange in which we read for each other. This month, instead of sticking to set spreads as we probably would if reading with Tarot or other Oracle cards, we're adding in the possible choice of doing an actual Runecast. Should be a lot of fun, and very educational! Please feel invited to participate, or if you don't feel ready for that just yet, it still might be helpful to just follow along as we read for each other and give feedback. The thread for the April RRE is here.

I hope this was of some help to you!

jeffrey2530

I highly recommend Tara Hill's Runic Journey.

http://www.tarahill.com/runes/

The meanings are available as a text file.

I approve this one because it gives a distinctly Norse perspective of the runic meanings, and utilizes the direct lines from the Icelandic runic poems.

For example, Blum and other books often give Ansuz ᚨ as generic 'god' or 'God' and it means a higher power is working in your life. TH specifically lists it as Odin and how the attributes of Odin appear in castings. The modern "blank" rune, often called "Odin's Rune," is ignored.
The website doesn't have the reversed meanings of the runes, eh? I wonder where can I find the reversed meanings...

magpie9

According to my runemaster, reversed meanings are so much hokey. The people who used the elder furthuk and carved it all over the place went in any direction they chose...up, down sideways, catty corner, you name it...hence, no meaning to reversals. Personally, I think the concept is a carry-over from tarot.

jeffrey2530

According to my runemaster, reversed meanings are so much hokey. The people who used the elder furthuk and carved it all over the place went in any direction they chose...up, down sideways, catty corner, you name it...hence, no meaning to reversals. Personally, I think the concept is a carry-over from tarot.

wow...I've been waiting for someone to clarify this..!! I have an intuition that the reversal is not necessary too. but, need someone more professional in runes to clarify this.

May I know who is your runemaster?

magpie9

His name is Saxon, he is from Braveria, and lives here in New Mexico now. He has a Facebook site which I can send you by PM if you want it. He's in process of writing a Rune book now. He teaches Runes and connected subjects face-to-face here. He also reads professionally.

jeffrey2530

His name is Saxon, he is from Braveria, and lives here in New Mexico now. He has a Facebook site which I can send you by PM if you want it. He's in process of writing a Rune book now. He teaches Runes and connected subjects face-to-face here. He also reads professionally.

oh cool, can I have his facebook?

and I have to take back my words on reversal is not important. I tried not to use reversal, but I can't read the runes without it, I just have to use the reversal. :(