Gilded Tarot Vs Gilded Tarot Royale

ann0087

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has the new Gilded Tarot Royale from Ciro Marchetti and what yours thoughts are on how it compares?

I find the art work and the deck itself stunning and mesmerizing, but I still prefer to do readings with my original Gilded deck, which was the first deck I ever had.

MzMcKee

If you do a bit of research, you'll find the this was one of his first decks, that he was new to tarot and it was early in the development of his digital art technique. Ciro himself has said he was never truly happy with the deck. When he approached Llewellyn about redoing and re releasing the deck thay weren't interested. That's when Ciro decided to self publish the deck. I've seen both side by side, the art work on the Gilded is good, but in the Royale! Wow! Such an intense difference! I love my Royale deck.

The cards are a bit bigger and it makes shuffling a little different for me...but even so I love them.

ann0087

I have all of his decks, but I have to say I agree that the Gilded Tarot Royale is the most breathtaking- however like you said, the cards are hard to shuffle so I rarely use them for readings. The artwork though is simply stunning and I definitely use them for studying/reflection.

If there is ever a mass-market edition of the GTR I would absolutely buy another, just in hopes it would be easier to shuffle than the current one I have.

Wynter_Wytch

I am with you on this one, Ann. I also have all of Ciro's decks, and I much prefer reading with the Gilded over the Gilded Royale. Until the Gilded came along, I despaired of ever truly "connecting" with any tarot deck. Card stock and shuffling issues aside, I think I prefer the Gilded simply because it's like a comfortable pair of shoes, just broken in perfectly. The Gilded Royale is more like a gorgeous pair of strappy 4" heels, strictly for special occasions only.

Wynter Wytch

Le Fanu

I only use the Gilded Royale. Never connected with the original Gilded but the Gilded Royale is a masterpiece.

I use it for reading and looking at and the size doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't feel like a special occasion deck. It reads effortlessly and is so vibrant and rich. This feels like the deck that all of Ciro's artwork and induustry was working towards.

It feels like a sigh of relief; at last, he has achieved his vision! (I'm sure it's not like that but that's how it feels to me!)

MzMcKee

It feels like a sigh of relief; at last, he has achieved his vision! (I'm sure it's not like that but that's how it feels to me!)

Actually it could be just that. I've seen several post and even those form Ciro, the Royale and the Gilded Lenormand are his last decks. He's moving on to other ventures though he Santa said what they are only it's not tarot related.

Owl Song

I agree with Le Fanu. I love the Gilded Tarot Royale. Actually, it is my favorite Ciro deck. It has the freshness of the original Gilded combined with the polish of Ciro's later works. I like the size because you can really see all the details in the cards.

VGimlet

I have both, and I like them both, but the Gilded Royale IS a big step forward.

I use the Gilded for clients - when I give them a choice of decks at least 70 percent choose the gilded. I would love a mass market edition of the GR, which I would definately use for clients.

For now I just enjoy the GR as a treat sometimes for personal readings, if my Mary-el seems like it might be too deep.

RichardG

Where does THIS HIgh Priestess fit into it?

Hi All.
I was searching Google images admiring Ciro's artwork when I came across the High Priestess card attached.
I was immediately drawn to the J and B in the domes on the pillars.
I love how they glow - like filaments in incandescent globes.

This is not the High Priestess card in my Llewellyn Guilded or in my fool's dog Tarot Royale app.
I've watched youtube videos comparing the Gilded to the Royale - and the J & B are not there either!

Can anyone identify which edition this mysterious High Priestess comes from?

Thanks,
Richard.

Attachments

• J and B Gilded Tarot High Priestess.jpg
    J and B Gilded Tarot High Priestess.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,713

Madrigal

Hi All.
I was searching Google images admiring Ciro's artwork when I came across the High Priestess card attached.
I was immediately drawn to the J and B in the domes on the pillars.
I love how they glow - like filaments in incandescent globes.

This is not the High Priestess card in my Llewellyn Guilded or in my fool's dog Tarot Royale app.
I've watched youtube videos comparing the Gilded to the Royale - and the J & B are not there either!

Can anyone identify which edition this mysterious High Priestess comes from?

Thanks,
Richard.

Gilded Tarot Royale.