Oracle of the Mermaids Study Group

Celtictarot

Since more than one person has this deck and the guidebook is slightly confusing, it is time this deck had a study group!

silvereye

Since more than one person has this deck and the guidebook is slightly confusing, it is time this deck had a study group!

My deck just arrived, I love the images but find the tag lines at the bottom of the cards a bit generic, will try run a few readings first to get a feel for it.

How do you find the deck?

Golden Angel

Hello...

I find the available meanings for the cards to contradict itself. So I find I have to be more intuitive with this deck than other Lucy Cavendish's deck. But I find the spreads in this deck to be amazing.

silvereye

Hello...

I find the available meanings for the cards to contradict itself. So I find I have to be more intuitive with this deck than other Lucy Cavendish's deck. But I find the spreads in this deck to be amazing.

Which spread have you used so far?

Kristyjnh

I recently received this deck as well, I really enjoy using it for smaller readings. I haven't yet "met" all the cards yet, but I like most of them, only had trouble with a few - Coral's Wisdom (31) I had the most trouble with. I kind of wish the Cohellen Druith card actually had a red hat/cloak. Also, is it just me or are there a lot of pregnancy/birth cards in this deck? I wouldn't normally associate that with Mermaids.

Anyone else still using this deck? Favorite cards or least favorite cards?

lalalibra

I've been working with this deck daily since I repurchased it about two months ago. I am quite certain by this point that it's one of my absolute favorite oracle decks in my collection. It's energy is so soothing, and the cards are so extreme in their beauty that it feels like such a "treat" to have this deck, to have it out, to work with it. I do such "silly" things with it that I surround it with crystals and seashells and strings of pearls, and then I sit back and admire how aesthetically pleasing the arrangement is :D (yes, I'm quite enthusiastic about this deck lol)

I love that there is so much to "get to know" in this deck. For me, definitely a deck to have an evolving and growing relationship with rather than trying to "figure out" asap - I mean, I do look at all of my decks in that way, but what I mean to say is that I also find that I have to be especially intuitive with this deck, that is, to get to know what it is saying for me personally and in the moment - apart from the guidebook meanings - and with that, the cards still feel very mysterious; like only "time will tell" what they really mean to me, and like it will change and grow as I do, as a reflection would in a mirror...

And yet, I quite like the guidebook too. I love Lucy Cavendish's unique style of explanation... And I've gotten some very crystal-clear readings with this deck. I also love the "Cycles of the Moon" spread - I do that one each lunar month now as it is suggested. So I do that, as well as a daily draw in the morning (1 card, but occasionally 3 when it feels right)... and sometimes another draw during the day/evening/whenever depending on what my needs are.

I recently received this deck as well, I really enjoy using it for smaller readings. I haven't yet "met" all the cards yet, but I like most of them, only had trouble with a few - Coral's Wisdom (31) I had the most trouble with.

In my own experience, the second to the last sentence in the "reversed" meanings was a key thing for my understanding of this card. Musing about coral colonies and how delicately linked they are to the environment brought to mind "seeing the bigger picture" and your place/belonging/role in it... Not sure if that helps or whether or not you already felt like came to find the message you needed from that card, but I just thought I'd share what I got from it personally.

I kind of wish the Cohellen Druith card actually had a red hat/cloak.

Oh, but she does!! ;)

Also, is it just me or are there a lot of pregnancy/birth cards in this deck? I wouldn't normally associate that with Mermaids.

Yes, indeed! I love how they did that. I think it fits in perfectly with the Divine Feminine and with the water element. I also think it fits in well as being another side of the theme represented in cards such as "The Return of Aphrodite" and "Divine Sexuality" - cards that represent the strength, freedom, and inherent purity & health of sexuality in its essence, all being a part of natural beauty and life force/expression.

Favorite cards or least favorite cards?

Love all the cards, but some favorites that really were really striking in my experience so far:

4. The Unseen - it is the best! so glad that there's a card like this in the deck. it's the ultimate "warning" card (one that I learned I should really listen to!)

27. Adrift - the image so beautifully and so perfectly captures "surrender" (this is the card that really drew me to this deck, actually)

43. Endurance - love the guidebook description about accepting challenges as part of our experience, and it's such an awesome card to get when you are so exhausted and at the risk of edging closer and closer toward despondency; really snaps you out of it and into a better and stronger (more confident) perspective while still being very understanding and comforting given where you are now

14. Water Flight - I didn't totally love this card at first, but it has been so sweet when it's come up for me during times of worry. and I'm always fascinated by the delicate relationship between thought and emotion, and what we can do to bring it back into balance (or not)

20. Falling in Love - I love the intensity of their expressions and their body language, I love how they are "different" from one another as if from different worlds (but not really; therefore challenging the superficial)... Love manifest in this physical world - both the beauty and the inevitable, as well as the difficulty and the pain and the ability to overcome the "impossible" (this painting was actually originally titled "Impossible Love")

sonjasingh

Let's get this group going

Hello Everyone,

My deck arrived today and I am so excited to work with these gorgeous cards. I did notice that they are a little tricky to work with. The guidebook meanings sometimes doesn't make sense and I feel lost.

I noticed this study group hasn't been active for a long time and I am writing to invite everyone who is working with this deck, has worked with this deck and are willing to learn bond with this deck, just like me to start this study group again.

Anybody out there?

Love,

Sonya

Kristyjnh

Ive never done a study group and I'm only on here sporadically, but I still use my Mermaids deck so I'm up for it.

(Also, in regards to my comment above, I figured out why the idea of pregnant mermaids freaks me out - their lower half is fish. So... how? Actually that's the part I don't want to think about.)