I Ching: Which I Ching passages do you turn to most often?

Rusty Neon

For me, when browsing the I Ching, or comparing new translations of the I Ching at the bookstore, there are certain passages I turn to most often:

Hexagram 18 (Corruption/Renovation)
Hexagram 37, esp. 37:3 (Dwelling People)
Hexagram 48 (The Well)
Hexagram 56 (Sojourning, Quest)

I find hexagrams 18, 48, and 56 enigmatic, not to suggest that other hexagrams aren't. :)

I was wondering what passages you fellow I Ching enthusiasts turn to most often?

Logiatrix

Hexagram #58:
Tui (Joy)

I always go to that page when I am looking at a new translation of the Book of Changes.

When I was little, my Mom told me that trees grow as long as thay are happy, and that being near trees, will make us happy, too.
She and I shared many searches for "happy twees" whenever the opportunity arose.
Even now, in the city, we try to park or sit near trees whenever we can--for that "joy" vibe.
So, when I began my study of I-Ching, it was kind of cool to see that the 58th Hexagram is "Tui," which is "Joy."
It's just a nice little story between Mom and me--and now, you, too.

There other translations for that hexagram, but that's the one I hope to find when I turn to that page.
:)

Alta

What a great story tauni! And Rusty, I hadn't thought of it that way. I do, of course, I just hadn't realized it until you mentioned it. I sort of go at it backwards. I check out the two hexagrams which bother me the most, 44 and 54. In the Wilhelm/Baynes version these are (to me) worrisomely sexist hexagrams. The first is about a woman who dares to present herself as equal to a man. In the late eighties, when I was working so hard to move my career ahead, I used to get this one often and many times it rocked me back, thinking that I was 'out of place'. 54 is The Marrying Maiden, wherein the woman enters a household as the lesser or second wife and needs to humble and obedient. Not strongly developed characteristics in me.
I think that's one of many reasons why I love the translation that I now use so much. Wilhelm, nowadays, is criticzed (and by me too) for translation being forced along rigid Confuscian lines. Under this system of rigid obedience and a family/community/state hierarchal system, you darn well knew your place and kept to it. Anyway, those are the hexagrams that I check in any new translation.
Good topic Rusty.