Looking for I Ching cards

Logiatrix

I have a very interesting little kit that uses I-Ching sticks (not the traditional yarrow stalks, but rather 6 small sticks) to cast the hexagram; the book in the kit is written by Frits Blok.
The whole kit is very nice, and I have thoroughly enjoyed trying this method of casting, however, it is Blok's book that continues to impress me.
I have often pulled the book out of the kit box just to look up a hexagram...
I imagine his card set is equally as impressive.
Good thing I'm so strong...
*squirm*
:D

Logiatrix

Pagan X said:
Tauni, rest assured I will not think ill of you if you enjoy a deck with Osho cooties!
I'm just being a poop today.
On the contrary, I'm quite glad that we were able to confront the Osho Issue...(say that three-times-fast! :D )
I appreciate the opportunity to explain how I handled my own reservations regarding the Tao Deck, in case someone else needs to know that the 'Osho Cooties' are indeed quite minimal... ;)

Logiatrix

Pagan X said:
hehehehe...gonna get you again Tauni!
...This thread is going to be the I Ching Cards reference thread if it kills me...
Indeed, I believe you are creating a monster, Pagan X! })
Excellent! ;)
LOL...
Where are you getting this stuff, anyway?!!
:)

Pagan X

Obsessive Googling.

I got my I Ching Pack today. The cards are beautiful, and I like it that they do not have any English on them.

The problem is that many of them don't seem to illustrate the "images" well, if at all, and they are all serene. The "BCB" (Big Companion Book") is well-done, but the text is not keyed to the cards at all. It's as if they were just put together because, hey, we need a book with these cards. The book doesn't really use the cards.

Lau's "I Ching Tarot" has much better integration of cards and book, and better explicit connection between card illustrations and I Ching "images".

I have noticed that one of the difficulties in creating an I Ching deck is that the I Ching has several sets of images assigned to each hexagram: the written picture in the ideogram itself, the situation being described (such as a sacrifice), an image suggested by the lines of the hexagram (such as a mouth), and the two elements of the upper and lower trigrams. "The Visual I Ching" was a set of cards of only the latter-- pretty and boooooring.

Lee

I'm glad the I Ching Tarot gets high marks. It's on its way to me in the mail. :)

-- Lee

Alta

oh, you three are being such a bad influence. grrrr. Marion mutters under her breath. Tries not to look at lovely card images.

Lee

LOL, Marion! When I first started getting interested in I Ching, I decided I was only going to buy one I Ching book and no I Ching decks.

HA! :D

-- Lee

13thFaeChylde

I have Barbara Walker's I Ching of the Goddess deck. The cards are both tragic and beautiful, and some downright scary...but I have no idea what to do with them.

I bought these for the artwork, but have no knowledge of the I Ching...and the book is for people with more advanced skills (at least it seems that way to my little head!)

Logiatrix

SWW,
If it's beautiful artwork you seek, then I highly recommend the Tao Oracle...
It's gorgeous and quite usable.
Of course, if you STILL get stumped (it can all look so different and untarot at first), you can come back here for help!
I find I-Ching cards to be especially flexible in application, thus allowing the student to evolve into greater knowledge of the Oracle at an autonomous pace.
Besides, there's no "right" or "wrong" way, IMHO...
;)