Fiction with Tarot

rota

"The Tarot Murders"

By chance, I ran across this detective novel: The Tarot Murders,
by Mignon Warner.

I cannot recommend it as literature. It's mannered and arch, and anyone who reads fiction above a 12th-grade level will figure it out after the second chapter.
Still, each of its 22 chapters is named after a Majors card, and the heroine is the knowledgeable tarot reader brought in by the chief of police to solve the series of crimes.
Nice to have if you're assembling a collection of tarot-related fiction. The dustjacket art is pretty okay. Find it at Amazon.com; shipping will cost you more than the book. :)

tabbycat

The Book of Paradox by Louise Cooper.
Going off on a tangent, does anyone remember the UK TV series Ace of Wands? Wasn't really based on tarot, although the hero was called Tarot and it had a lot to do with the supernatural. My memories of it are pretty hazy - TV was still only in black and white in those days!

Jilly

Jewel

Mark of the Cat and Year of the Cat by Andre Norton - based on the "Outer Region's" world of Karen Kuykendall (Tarot of the Cat People). Apparently the book focuses on the "Traveler's Report" which was in Ms. Kuykendall's complete records. The "Outer Region's" world, according to Ms. Norton, were immortalized in Ms. Kuykendall's book of paintings and in her Tarot of the Cat People. Amazon sells these books as a 2-in-1 volume.

Another book is "The Fool's Journey" by Lynn C. Miller. I have not read this book either, but the back of the book sais that it is witty. It is set in modern day, and the protagonist is passed over for a promotion as a result of her lover of some years. She is told to turn to the Tarot for guidance and there is where the story trully begins. Sounds like it would be pretty hilarious.