78 Weeks of Study: General Discussion

jcwirish

Wendy,

Ever seen the movie, "Hope and Glory"? You just so reminded me of this great film. I can hear the teacher in the movie asking all the little English children, "and what do all the pink bits mean?" as she's tapping a pinter on the map of the world!

Wendywu

No - I never saw that movie..... but I know that in the old atlas there seemed to be more of the world that was pink than wasn't.

The amount of interference in natural cultural development is horrifying to think about ...... but by their lights (and in all fairness if we are to think about the days of Empire it has to be understood in that way, and not with modern attitudes) what they did was morally right. They brought Christianity and clothes to the poor natives... (ignoring the fact that these people had their own ancient religious traditions, and had such a healthy attitude to their bodies that they felt no need to hide bits of them. Or to wear lots of clothing when they lived in a hot country). To us, it's hugely immoral but to the English of that time it was a duty to spread "civilisation".....

Ah - such damage we did. In the name of bringing enlightenment.......

These days of course, we bring democracy to people and think that this is right and good. And that somehow bringing our politics to people is better than bringing our religion - it's laughable - there is no difference at all. It is still the imposition of a system that has not naturally evolved in a country...

jcwirish

You are so right Wendy. I took some courses on cultural differences in college, and read a great book on the subject where the author claimed that until we take the time and make the effort to truly understand and respect the cultures of other nations, we cannot hope to forge any meaningful communication or depth of understanding. Although off topic, this does point to the empirical nature with which we have chosen to deal with cultures different from our own by merely imposing our ideals and values on them. It's all rather presumptuous and shameful.

Trying to stay on topic, I'd have to say this is a very good example of what the Emperor can become when reversed, unwilling to acknowledge the value of viewpoints other than his own, primarily because they hold no value or merit for him.

SarahRacheal

Just popping in to say Happy New year to everyone!

Twoflower

Hi - just introducing myself as a new participant (I've jumped in with an Emperor post) - feel free to throw any pointers at me if I'm missing the point anywhere :D

T

emmsma

Think this is just not my week. Here it is, Saturday evening, and though I feel close and in tune with my Emperor, I have done no readings on him - either from my books or even my LWB's.

I am extremely unmotivated and would like nothing more than to lay down and go to bed. (Won't be able to do this til my boy goes to bed in a couple hours.)

I will try to post a preliminary tomorrow and then back track when time and motivation permits.

Wendywu

Emm - where are you that it was Saturday evening 5 hours ago? It's first thing Saturday morning for me and I thought you guys were 5 behind us in the UK?

Did your days get muddled or is my brain misbehaving again? I'd accept either :D

Gonna do my write up this afternoon. I've done the contemplation and the meditation - and I found a working small blacksmith forge in a village not too far from me :) Sadly it's only open during the week so - we'll go one afternoon next week and I can take photographs. Hey - I wonder if he does small things as well as gates and railings and stuff.....

emmsma

Yep. Completely muddled. I thought it was Saturday when I posted. At other times in the day I discussed me going to work tomorrow. I'm not back on til Monday.

I'll be so glad when this holiday weekend is behind me and life can get back to normal.

But this also means I DO have time to take care of the laundry. :(

Will work on my Emperor post in the morning.

Wendywu

emmsma said:
I'll be so glad when this holiday weekend is behind me and life can get back to normal.

But this also means I DO have time to take care of the laundry. :(

I totally agree with the getting back to normal bit.

And all my sympathy on the laundry issue. It's a horrible thing the way clothes and linen need to be washed at intervals. I'm so glad I gave up ironing. Y'know my son's girlfriend (lovely girl) - her parents have been married 20 years and this Christmas they got given their first ever iron. They are horrified - they've never done any ironing and don't want to start now .....

And I LOVE THEIR ATTITUDE :party: :royal: :laugh:

But it ain't easy ... especially with children!

(((emmsma)))

zan_chan

Gah! Already Saturday night! How did that happen?? Not only is my vacation almost over, but my Emperor isn't finished yet either! Ok, Sunday it is then. I really have done better with the Emperor than i have with any of the previous ones, however.

How is everyone else doing? Ready to post? Still lagging a bit?

(And, by the way, the best way to get housework done is to live with someone who thinks you do it "poorly" and won't allow you to help :D )