Books in French on the Marseille

Diana

Rusty Neon: And I am very much looking forward to your opinion of it. :)

Rusty Neon

Kléa book

Diana said:
Rusty Neon: And I am very much looking forward to your opinion of it. :)

Diana ... I received Kléa's book in the mail from amazon.ca late last week. It gives new insights into the minor arcana as I was seeking, but I'm sure it also will be inspiring me to look more closely at the major arcana as well. As you noted, this book is strange ... but then, some other TdM books such as Alain Bocher's are too, so this one's in the ball park. :) Actually, Kléa's book is less strange the Bocher's.

Some parts of Kléa's book mystify me, unlike Sédillot's, so one must often re-read passages.

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the book. It's a solid resource along with Sédillot's book. Before my purchase, I read one commentary on a French tarot list about Kléa's book and the person posting called it the Bible of tarot books, hopefully not just because of its 996 pages. Thanks for the tip.

Rusty Neon

Some new people have joined the boards since jmd started this thread. It would be interesting to see what resources you have, and especially, the ones you find useful.

P.S.: Moderators, would it be possible to move this thread to the H&I forum? Some of those who come to the H&I forum may not be coming to the Books forum. Thx.

smleite

I have the Portuguese translation of the book « Cartes et destin », by Alain Hadès; the latest French edition, as far as I know, is Flammarion, Paris, 2002, ISBN 2082007847 (mine dates from 1970). He wrote 87 books, most of them about astrology, and is a renamed astrologer (?), so he points out several relations between astrology and the tarot cards. I’m not sure of what to think about the book; when I first read it, it looked really superficial, but the truth is that I’ve found some help there. For beginners in the study of Marseilles, like me, it could be a start. There is no English translation (?). If someone has already read it, I would like to hear some opinions.

Diana

Re: Kléa book

Rusty Neon said:
Diana ... I received Kléa's book in the mail from amazon.ca late last week.

I missed your post when you posted it, so thanks for bumping the thread up. What I want to know is: Who is Kléa?? And that is what I am going to find out. :)

smleite: When I go up to town next time, I'll have a look at the book you're talking about. Thanks for mentioning it.

Rusty Neon

The synchronicity is interesting. I saw the Kléa book at a bookstore while in Montreal last autumn and was sorely tempted to buy it. However, I decided to exercise restraint, vowing to spend more time with tarot books I already have. Yet the days of winter brought back my book acquisition temptations.

smleite ... Does the book you mention cover the Marseilles pip cards from a number + suit + design detail perspective?

tmgrl2

glad this thread got bumped up....printed out list of books..but did order Klea's book on alapage.com

ty

terri

Rusty Neon

tmgrl ... You may find it cheaper (total price with shipping) to order Kléa's book thru amazon.ca. Remember prices there are quoted in Canadian greenbacks.

tmgrl2

Rusty Neon said:
tmgrl ... You may find it cheaper (total price with shipping) to order Kléa's book thru amazon.ca. Remember prices there are quoted in Canadian greenbacks.

Hasty moongirl that I am...never thought of that...I did a search on Amazon.us and then did a general search and it took me to the French site...not even sure what the franc is going for in dollars...hope it isn't an ouch! Canadian would have been much better.... Can't wait to get it though...have three other books that were mentioned on another thread...in English, I believe, so will search Amazon first...

ty for the future...I'm a netaholic orderer...it's so easy!

tmgrl2

Rusty Neon

tmgrl ... The Kléa book is quite unconventional but fun to own. If you want something closer to a more conventional 20th century post-Marteau French tarotist approach to the 78 cards of the TdM, you may also wish to check out Sédillot's _Ombres_ book (see details in one of my earlier posts), available through amazon.ca.