How can you improve one's dreams? (Maybe a brief interpretation?)

LovelyMissAries

I see people dreaming of dragons, and bombs, and colors and all this cool stuff. My dreams are never like that. I am usually doing something practical with MAYBE unusual circumstances (like a flooded toilet, or being emotional.)

The best (by best I mean most creative) dream I've had recently was doing a photoshoot with my mother and a photographer in a huge mansion with GIANT windows. It was as if we were on an island. A big monsoon crashed over the house but didn't break anything. I remember walking around the town and seeing an orca in the water too, but farther away from me. The sky was foggy.
Suddenly I was at a night time party in a rich mansion and a cat kept biting my toe over and over. A girl was standing over me talking, and trying to help me get it away. I threw food in the opposite direction to get it away from me and somehow it died (can't remember how). It was nighttime and we were by the pool.

Anyways I've been dying to share that with someone for the past week. I'm wondering what it's signifying (based on what I know about dream symbols I see a lot about intuition, femininity, and emotions here.) But I do also want to know how to have more expressive dreams!

dancing_moon

I get the most expressive dreams when I go to bed early. Like 9 or 10 pm. :) And I do have lots of really bright and unusual dreams, too. Not that I care to interpret them, though.

Also, it helps to write down your dreams right after you wake up. This way, it's also very easy to see the connection. (e.g. a monsoon dream could be connected with something you saw in the news, etc.).

LibraX

Try and sleep on your back - from a scientific point of view there is a certain hormone your brain releases when you dip into Delta (deep sleep) mode when in that particular position.

Have fun!

~Amy

LovelyMissAries

Try and sleep on your back - from a scientific point of view there is a certain hormone your brain releases when you dip into Delta (deep sleep) mode when in that particular position.

Have fun!

~Amy

Interesting. I'm a toss / turner, but will try. Thanks!

Roy

if you want real vivid action packed dream put a nicotine patch on before you sleep.

Roy

How does that help?
I thought you wanted interesting dreams? If you use a nicotine patch while sleeping you'll get crazy movie like dreams.. look up nicotine patch dreams and you can read stories :)

michick34

I've been trying to develop skills in lucid dreaming for awhile, for some it's easier than for others, I guess. I make break throughs and then I can't remember any of my dreams for awhile. I think I'm figuring it out, but it's been a process. From what I've read and been trying: Sleep in segments of 1 and a 1/2 hours. That's what it takes to enter the REM cycle. The longer you are asleep, the longer the REM cycle gets. A dream journal by your bed is really helpful. Write your dreams down and try to write in as much detail as you can about what you remember. It will help recall. Many people find it helpful to have a gradual alarm, also some say get up for an hour in the middle of the night and then go back to sleep.

I never heard that about the nicotine patch before. I have heard of a Mexican dream herb that you can make tea out of and that is suppose to give you very vivid lucid dreams.

Queen Hippolyta

Had a good book on lucid dreaming once. Darn if I did not lose it when I moved! Hate it when that happens.

tohrutohno

A lot of good responses here about keeping a journal. This is key to helping remember dreams you want to go back to later. I would never call myself a psychic or say I am a clairvoyant, but I have had an unusual number of dreams that have come true. Whether it was predicting finding out a friend was pregnant or a coworker being fired etc, without ever having previous knowledge of such events. I'm certainly no expert but based on my own experience the journal proves a couple functions. One it helps you differentiate between dreams that possibly mean something and those that are just you working through things you either saw or heard throughout the day. Another is a way to prove to yourself (or others if you must) that you truly did predict something before it happened since you've written it down when you dreamt it.

I also don't pay any attention to the dream symbolism books. The dreams that you have are unique and specific to you. Therefore the meaning cannot be measured with a universal paintbrush of interpretations. Only you can see what your dreams are trying to tell you, and the message will come to you more in an abstract form or it can be quite literal. I find if you dream of a pail it's usually just that, a pail. It's the people you interact with and how you interact that have meaning, not individual objects. I'd only pay attention to them if they are a repeating theme. Even then, again the message is unique and only meant for you, so the interpretation will be unique as well. I hope some of this helps