Tarot Music

Isisdownunder

I'm wondering if any of you have come across some tarot music that you could recommend???
All I have ever seen is "Osho Zen Tarot" by Osho, "Music of the Tarot" by David and Steve Gordon and "Wheel of Fortune: Music for Tarot" by Gregor Theelen.
Do any of you listen to specific tarot music? Can anyone recommend anything?

Isisdownunder

Dolphinicus

Re: Tarot music

Well ...... here's an odd twist.

I had just finished the main portions of an Art / Progressive Rock tune, earlier this month, that I wrote to the theme of my beginning interpretations of the card XIV - Temperance / Art. (In short, interpretively - working to bring 'balance' in something.)

I thought I'd listen to the tune (titled: "XIV - Temperance") as I haven't for a few weeks. Now - in my 28 years of writing songs, this is the first time that I've ever written a song, that sounds strongly similar to the styles written in by my most favourite band period, Saga. (A Canadian Progressive Rock band, with strong 'classical' influences.)
Less the 1 minute after starting the song playing, I received notification that email had come in: The first newsletter that I've received from that band's website, in about 3 months.

It's odd how all of these things tie together. ;)

Season's Greetings to you,

Isisdownunder

It surely is.
Isisdownunder

jmd

As I personally see Tarot more as occupying the sphere of imagery, I don't tend to associate them so much with music - yet I'm willing to read words about them (here, in books, etc) - so maybe it would be wonderful to consider musical aspects to Tarot.

You may be interested in also considering some of the associations made between various systems by, for example, AMORC & BOTA. The latter is discussed a little in a thread titled 'Tarot Cards and Musical Notes'... though I personally do not think it an accurate correlation.

Problem is, though I personally do not see it as a problem, is that I like to listen to harmonious arrangements - whether these be spontaneous or composed.

There are quite a number of earlier threads which have touched in music, in most of them finding myself unable to make useful comment. One of these seems a little similar to the question you have, and in which Jeannette (from Tarot Garden) makes interesting suggestions: songwriting. A much earlier thread which also mentions, specifically a CD, is The Sound of Tarot - music CD.

In one thread on Classical music and Tarot, firemaiden mentions the occurence of cards in sections of Strauss and Bizet.

Ross Caldwell also begins a wonderful thread which lists music contemporary with early Tarot.

On a totally different note - excuse the pun - lunalafey begun a thread on which songs could be associated with which cards, and littlewing started a similar one one which lyrics could likewise be related. Firemaiden also proposed a series of musical instruments (and their peculiar tones) in musical minors?.

Given my difficulties in participating in this kind of discussion, I hope this helps somewhat - rather than add to the confusion :)

Isisdownunder

????

No I think you've added to my confusion!! I don't need music to read to, but thought it might be cute for my clients!!!!
Isisdownunder

jmd

Oh I see... you want some Tarot related music for your clients...

I have personally preferred no background music when reading - but others have made other suggestions in various threads - from Bach to McKinnett.

Possibly the thread titled songwriting (mentioned earlier), if not much more comes in this thread, may provide some suggestions...

Isisdownunder

I'm pretty well versed musically I like the idea of celtic music, but there are tarot cd's around, just wondering if anyone had heard them sort of thing? Or could recommend one?
Isisdownunder

Shade

Wasn't there an album entrely inspired by the Rohrig tarot. I got that one but failed to ever truly understand the connection betwen the deck and the music.

Isisdownunder

thanks

Thanks Shade, I will check it out!
Isisdownunder

HearthCricket

I find I only use music once in a while for clients, and I try to match the cards/music to the particular client, if possible. For example, if I have a Christian client I may use the Medieval Scapini deck, and have chanting monk music in the background. If I have teens, I have a tendency to use a Whimsical or Hanson Roberts deck, with theme music from Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings. I may use Enya or McKennit with more celtic type decks, etc. I only do this for some, and only for fun and atmosphere. The most important thing is to use a deck that I can get an accurate reading from. Too many candles, music, incense can sometimes be intrusive, rather than helpful. But, for those whom I read on a more regular basis, it can be fun to spice it up, a bit!