It's the all singing, all dancing enabling Thread #4

magicjack

I'm not so sure but let's try ;-)

I purchased the Night Sun without knownig why I did so, too. The deck fascinated me somehow althoug it's totally not up my alley with all the CG stuff and this uncanny valley look. I think the creator could have called the deck the Uncanny Valley deck, the human figures are so weird, so alien, so nearly-there. But on purpose.

The deck is still fascinating me with its weirdness. I trimmed it and edged it in black which always makes me feel closer to a deck. It's a thought provoking deck, it uses a lot of geometric symbols and glyphs, and when I tried reading with it, it actually worked okay. I don't know why I don't use it more, it's a deck that feels less approachable than others.

The "difficult" cards are much stronger than the "positive" cards, the artist conveys melancholy, longing, inner conflict better than joy or simply pleasures. The restricted use of colour and many shadowed corners make it an atmospheric deck. It's like a night scene in a film noir, there is no safe corner anywhere.

The Pentacles suit is for me the most expressive suit of the deck, and that's quite rare. Often, the pragmatic Pentacles are treated like a harmless afterthought with lush vegetation. In this deck, the green is uncomfortable and the earth is much less kind than in other decks. It's not lush or lovely. I like that. There's something sword-ish in the other minor suits.

Three books that I like very much for practical work with my decks are Lynda Knowles' Tarot Playbook, Christine Jette's Shadow Work and Alison Cross' Tarot Kaizen. In an ideal world, I could spend much more time with my decks and these books! I do the Tarot Kaizen exercises with the Night Sun although it would be very good for shadow work, too. I'm a bit afraid of the results so I didn't try it yet. But it's a deck that calls out to do shadow work with it IMO. The Kaizen exercises made me appreciate the deck more and I discovered its strengths.

I think it's an interesting deck and it doesn't flatter, it challenges. It's not a comfort deck, it's a discomfort deck. I'm very glad I have it.

Nemia! That was pretty good! This is how I am feeling about this deck. It's not my kind of deck either and yet it keeps grabbing my interest. I am actually "grabbing" it more than I thought I would. Your right about the dark corners. You have to spend some time with the cards because at first glance you do not notice some of the little things. Your so right about the Pents! The main reason why I got it was because of the astrological symbols were so easy to see. Well, I've decided I'm not going to give up on it. This has been happening to me a lot lately. Decks I think I have no interest in are turning out to be my most readable decks. You talked about shadow work. I have never really used a deck in that way. This deck seems to want to be read reversed while being upright! It's not a boring deck for sure. I'll check out your book recommendations. Thank you!

nisaba

My question:

... So somebody, tell me why I should buy:

1) The Wonderland in a tin

2) the Barbara Walker in a Tin

and last but not least:

3) The Sun and Moon in a tin.

What specific details make these decks desirable and necessary, given that I don't yet own their untinned siblings? And why is the tin so important?

Go for it, folks: make me hit the Buy Now button. My last online purchase was a weatherproof jacket and before that was another non-Tarot item - tell me why I am an idiot for squandering my money on other things and why I need to buy these decks.

The reply:

You need them all because you don't have them yet. They come in tins and are therefore extremely cute. The Wonderland is just so damn quirky that you simply can't not add it to your collection. The Sun and Moon is pretty. The Barbara Walker has gods and goddesses and is multicultural. What's not to love, indeed need, about that?

They arrived today! And I'm so delighted you took the time to grab my finger and press it on the "buy now" button. It must be time to organise another meet.

The tins get scratched ...

But that is a part of their charm. Rather to my shame (in my capacity as a non-RW-fan), my Centennial-in-a-tin has been riding around in my bag for months, and hasn't gotten properly battered yet.

Actually - enable me on something else. I like well-aged decks. I now have four Tarots-in-tins. Should I put one deck under each wheel of my car and run over them? Will that make them look venerable and used? Or just render the tins disappointingly un-open-able?

JylliM

My question:

The reply:

They arrived today! And I'm so delighted you took the time to grab my finger and press it on the "buy now" button. It must be time to organise another meet.

But that is a part of their charm. Rather to my shame (in my capacity as a non-RW-fan), my Centennial-in-a-tin has been riding around in my bag for months, and hasn't gotten properly battered yet.

Actually - enable me on something else. I like well-aged decks. I now have four Tarots-in-tins. Should I put one deck under each wheel of my car and run over them? Will that make them look venerable and used? Or just render the tins disappointingly un-open-able?

Not sure. I'm willing to be there to witness the experiment, though. But I'd like a look at the decks FIRST! :D