What is Manteia?

Kiama

Hi all,

I've seen numerous references to this 'Manteia' on TarotGarden. I think it must be some sort of magazine dedicated to Tarot, because it always seemed to have images of different decks in it.

I'd greatly appreciate it if somebody could enlighten me further as to what Manteia was? Is there any chance of getting it anymore?

Kiama

Le_Corsair

Apparently it was a quality Tarot magazine put out by a gentleman named Frank Jensen. Holly Voley has a link on her site to a copy of it in PDF format. That's all I know, I think JMD is acquainted with Jensen.

Bob :THERM

jmd

Manteia was the Tarot Journal produced for about ten years by Frank Jensen, who also happens to possibly have the largest collection of 20th century decks.

Many of his articles (and I have only seen few) go into quite meticulous depth regarding differences between these various decks, and their printing. For example, it is through his work that the fine differences in the printing technique used in very early RWCS showed not only how they were made, but also where some of minutia of details altered with time.

Hope this helps :)

Le_Corsair

Le_Corsair said:
Apparently it was a quality Tarot magazine put out by a gentleman named Frank Jensen. Holly Voley has a link on her site to a copy of it in PDF format. That's all I know, I think JMD is acquainted with Jensen. The magazine is no longer published.

Bob :THERM

Oops! See what happens when you hit "Quote" instead of "Edit?"

jmd

Corsairs think alike :)

Lee

You can read or download an issue of the Manteia Courier here:

http://www.tarotpassages.com/tarotpub.html

Scroll down a few entries to Manteia Courier. You can download it or read it online, but you need Adobe Acrobat Reader to do either.

It contains a fascinating article comparing different versions of the original Rider-Waite deck and discussion of printing techniques current at the time.

-- Lee

Umbrae

The cover of the Manteia index states:

"Manteia was published from 1989 to 1997 with the purpose of documenting and reviewing mantic systems of the period in particular tarot & cartomantic decks and related literature."

It is well worth your time, trouble, and expense to hunt down a complete set of all 18 issues (16 Manteia and 2 Manteia Courier). They are rare and wonderful.

blue_fusion

is it possible to download all manteia back issues?

truelighth

blue_fusion said:
is it possible to download all manteia back issues?

Unfortunally it is not possible to download all the Manteia issues. I was very lucky to finally get my hands on the set a few years ago. I did talk to Frank and although he isn't planning on ever reprinting them, he is in the process of setting up a website. Maybe in the future, he will add the Manteia magazines and articles on there, but he wasn't sure yet. Mind you, that was about half a year ago that I heared about that from him, so I don't know how the plans are proceeding.