Gift

ravenest

I called in on a friend this morning, she is moving and asked me if I want a book no one wants, otherwise it is on its way to the charity shop.

I went to look at it ; about 40cm x 60cm (so rather large), every 2nd page a full size colour plate opposing a page of text about the image, a book of Tibetan Buddhist Tankas ... its absolutely amazing and highlights the detail and colour so well... some of them are mind blowing (which is one of their purposes I suppose).

Of course I decided to give it a home :)

(Hmmm wasn't I throwing Tankas at people around here a couple of weeks back ? :) )

Anyway, I think it is amazing and will supply endless hours of spiritual contemplation - thankyou .

Milfoil

It never ceases to amaze me how the Universe brings the right thing to the right person at the right time. Some of these wonderful gifts have journeys of their own and I'm glad that you are part of that journey for this book.

celticnoodle

WOW! What an amazing gift!

It never ceases to amaze me how the Universe brings the right thing to the right person at the right time. Some of these wonderful gifts have journeys of their own and I'm glad that you are part of that journey for this book.

I agree. It makes it all the more powerful and special too, doesn't it? :)

Padma

Ravenest, I am glad you were united with the book! What a lovely gift!

Sometimes it feels like life is a game of Dungeons and Dragons, and you have to go around collecting the bits and pieces that will see you through to completion ;)

ravenest

I like that :)

Do you know the Sufi story of 'Fatima the Rope Maker' ?

Padma

Nope! Do tell it, please?

ravenest

Fatima lived in a poor family on the edge of the village in a family of rope makers. She was required to work most of the day. She didn't like that at first and complained that she wanted to be a Princess and have a beautiful white horse that she could ride across her desert domain (and a Prince husband) and a large treasure chest that she could use to help her family and the other poor people of her village.

Her mother said, "Don't we all want that my dear, dream on ... while you work and maybe one day , God-willing , your desires may be granted.

So she did and resigned herself to her fate and decided, for now she would do the best she could. Eventually, with the help of her grandmother she became very skilful in the art of ropemaking and the family became known for making fine good quality rope and this increased business. Eventually the family was on the verge of success, a large order had come in for rope in another village far away across the desert and as a reward Fatima (who was now much older) was allowed to accompany the caravan delivering the rope with her Uncle, to learn the trade side of the business.

As she travelled across the desert, which she loved, and overjoyed at visiting another village she had never been to and travelling far, she gave thanks to God in a prayer.

But just as she finished the prayer a band of bandits charged over a sand hill, charged and dispersed the caravan, captured many of the camels (Including the ones with Fatima's ropes ) and captured Fatima herself and rode off into the desert ....

(TBC)

Padma

I find myself impatient to hear the rest of this! It is very interesting...please finish her tale, Ravenest! ;)

Mi-Shell

I called in on a friend this morning, she is moving and asked me if I want a book no one wants, otherwise it is on its way to the charity shop.

I went to look at it ; about 40cm x 60cm (so rather large), every 2nd page a full size colour plate opposing a page of text about the image, a book of Tibetan Buddhist Tankas ... its absolutely amazing and highlights the detail and colour so well... some of them are mind blowing (which is one of their purposes I suppose).

Of course I decided to give it a home :)

(Hmmm wasn't I throwing Tankas at people around here a couple of weeks back ? :) )

Anyway, I think it is amazing and will supply endless hours of spiritual contemplation - thankyou .
Oh!!
I am sure, I saw ta copy of this book - in a book store in Kathmandu! :)
It is large indeed. and magnificent. we just had an afternoon of teachings about tankas and how they are painted and all the symbolism hidden in the paintings.....
.... I was VERY tempted by this book, but it is waaaaay toooo big for our luggage.....

Attachments

• WhiteTara.jpg
    WhiteTara.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 108

celticnoodle

how beautiful, Mi-shell! thank you for posting that.

I, too, am interested in reading the rest of the story. :) Can't wait for ravennest to finish it!