Meditations on the Tarot - Preface

Diana

I started re-reading the Meditations on the Tarot, which I gave up reading last year, as I found it too arduous. Somehow it has become easier now. :)

I don't know if the Preface in the English version is also the one by Robert Spaemann.

Something struck me here when he says (and I translate very roughly from the French - I don't have the English version):

"One canot say which is more surprising: the winding and twisting paths which these 22 letters "from beyond the tomb" have had to follow until their publication, or the sleepy assurance with which, for so many years, and without any publicity, they have reached their destination - the destination being the "unknown friends" to whom they were addressed.........."

I had to rub my eyes. For at first, I thought he was actually talking about the 22 Arcana from the Tarot, and not the 22 letters of the book. :)

For is this not also the history of the 22 Tarot Major Arcana? They also followed twisted and winding roads and sometimes they do seem as if they come from "beyond the tomb". And they have reached many unknown friends.... in all corners of the world.

A analogy that touched my heart.

firemaiden

What a beautiful metaphor Diana. Please keep sharing your impressions on re-reading this. (Is it easy to get ahold of in French?)

jmd

With regards to the English edition, the earlier edition published by Element Books does not include any preface nor supplements by authors other than the Unknown Author - though I am not sure if the newer edition includes this preface, it does include an introduction or supplement by other people.

Interestingly, I have only just earlier this month read this preface from my more recently acquired French version of the book.

I look forward to some of the earlier threads discussing some aspects of the various letters (chapters) of this book being added to, and new threads created :):):)

Rusty Neon

firemaiden said:
(Is it easy to get ahold of in French?)

The French original was (and is still) in print for many years while the English translation was out of print. I find that, unfortunately, French book prices are higher than English book prices. The French original costs about twice the price of the English translation.