Meditation Buddies?

dancing_moon

I hope your dog is getting better. :heart:

When doing meditation, I don't think clock time really matters that much. After all, 'time' is an abstract idea, and if you have done an extra meditation round, that's just that: you've done an extra meditation round. It's the effort that counts, I think.:)

greatdane

Ah thanks Dancing Moon!

My dog thanks you for the well wishes and I agree about time :). But it was strange not meditating within the time I normally would (it's usually between about 1-3 pm). So yes, I am in the habit now if I felt I missed something and wound up meditating after midnight
:). I must admit setting my online timer just starts it off for me. I just click onto the timer, set the prep time for about a minute, the interval time for ten minutes and the meditation time for twenty. A gentle chime goes off after each of these. It's just a nice part of the practice for me and an encouraging tool.

Tash

im a complete newbie to meditation, but I think it's something that I should be doing.
I've been reading and reading trying to understand just how to.. but if anyone would like to push me in the right direction.. im happy to jump on the experience train :)

greatdane

TASH For me, simpler is better

If you just focus on your breath, neither try to keep thoughts out, nor just focus on one thing. There are different types of meditation, but this is the one I do the most. There are online meditation timers that allow you to set like a one minimum preparation time, to let yourself get all settled, then you can set for 20 or 30 or 60 minutes and even set an interval, half time's up, timer if you wish. Then just either sit in a yoga position, or sit in a chair with your back straight, I close my eyes, that's optional. Then you can either think in, out as you take a breath in or out or I do here, now. If thoughts come in, let them, but don't dwell on them. Acknowledge and release them. For instance, I have a train near me. I live in a small town and almost everywhere you can hear it. Rather than distracting me, I think yes, it's the train. It's about being "present" to me. If my dog barks, I notice it, but then I don't think oh, yes, well, next week he has to get his shots, which can lead to oh that was a cute dog at the vet's we saw last time, and on and on. I don't let thoughts in the current moment lead me to other thoughts. But if you just focus on your breath, it helps a lot. I hope this helps a little. There are also free intros on youtube if you put in meditation. There are all kinds of meditation. You can sample different ones and see what most appeals to you. GOOD LUCK and I hope you share your experience. GD

Tash

thanks for that GD.. I have a day off today so im going on a search.. will keep you posted