The Teleplasmic Cabinet of Devilish Doom!

Debra

I'm voting for Elendil.

prudence

I'm with Debra....Elendill is my bet.

Also....am I (or Flaxen) allowed to make guesses on this one, since we are trapped in the...what was it? Vortex or ether or beyond the veil? I know we have some access to certain electronic devices, but I wonder if we're allowed to, or able to, participate in the usual way?

moonbear

I'm with Elendil on this, although what exactly Mycroft would want with the beautiful and talented Miss Emma Watson, alone on a desert island, is quite beyond moonbear.

Mycroft

zu24.jpg

Hi Everyone - Emma here! I've had to temporarily take charge of this thread due to the behaviour of the people allegedly 'running' it. To be brief I received an e-mail from one 'F Truffaut' inviting me to do a camera test for his new film 'La Déesse sur le Rivage'. However, when I arrived at the 'exotic' location (which was actually a beach in Bognor) I was greeted by a sad old grandad, some guy who kept shouting "nul point" and a raving transvestite! Needless to say I quickly administered some 'stiletto discipline' and the three of them are currently cowering in Harry's cupboard under the stairs while I sort out this mess of a thread. I mean what is going on here! It starts out as a sort of Alan Moore Gothic horror pastiche of Victorian spiritualism with a 'Dirk Gently/Dr Who' overtone - then the next minute we're playing 'It's A Knockout!' and there are people wandering round in giant Tweedledum costumes! I think you'll all agree the shambles that passes for a script urgently needs a woman's touch, and as for the dinosaur rock that Mycroft's been playing - well we can put that right straight away with a modern anthem for liberated women,

Okay, first things first. Mycroft (in his usual half-arsed way) seems unable to comprehend that the purpose of a 'Quickfire Divination' is to test people's divination skills, not to bugger about with silly answers, so after I've sorted out the points scoring, I'll be demonstrating how it should be done. But let's have a look at some of your answers first,
...Emma Watson played a wardrobe mistress in My Week With Marilyn...
OMG! OMG!! OMG!!! I am soooo thrilled that you loved my movie! (FYI - If you haven't bought the DVD already, it's reasonably-priced and available from most major outlets.)

xhmg.jpg

Now that has to be worth a point, and just for you Elendil (what a nice name) I'll even do the voice,

jw83.jpg

"Elendil - un pwoant - Elendil one point"

Elendil (+1)

2daa.jpg

...so my guess is Marilyn Monroe as the celebrity...who made a cameo appearance in the Bette Davis movie All About Eve....from which I will take the quotation and mysterious message: 'Fasten your seatbelts its going to be a bumpy night'.
Yes, I think an empowering female icon like Marilyn who was unafraid of her sexuality would be just what is needed to bring this thread back on track, or, better still - me looking a bit like Marilyn, well sort of (BTW I borrowed this dress from Dan Radcliffe, but SHHHHHHHHHH SHHHHHHHHHH don't tell anybody!)

tlv5.jpg

"No, you're not having it back Dan"

...am I (or Flaxen) allowed to make guesses on this one, since we are trapped in the...what was it? Vortex or ether or beyond the veil? I know we have some access to certain electronic devices, but I wonder if we're allowed to, or able to, participate in the usual way?
Oh Prudence dear, don't ever think you need a man's permission for anything! Just post away and if Mycroft complains, ask him if he wants another broken bone in his foot.
I'm with Elendil on this, although what exactly Mycroft would want with the beautiful and talented Miss Emma Watson, alone on a desert island, is quite beyond moonbear.
I know! I mean AS IF!! I think once I've had lunch with J K, I'll probably pop round to my lawyers and get them to slap a restraining order on these three weirdos (maybe Alan Rickman as well just for a giggle!) Well, this has been fun! I'm going to finish now with a PROPER 'Divination Challenge' but do let me know if this bunch get out of hand again and I'll pop back and REALLY deal with them.

Emma's Divination Challenge - Everybody

Q. Bette Davis 'appears' in which Stanley Kubrick film?

a) 2001 - A Space Odyssey
b) A Clockwork Orange
c) The Shining
d) Eyes Wide Shut

zannamarie

b) A Clockwork Orange
c) The Shining
d) Eyes Wide Shut
Having seen none of these movies nor read any of the books, I went with the 'flip a coin' divination method. Heads was a yes and tails a no. Flipping one coin for each of the option came up with 3 heads on round 1. I then flipped those heads and only one came up heads a second time--a) 2001 - A Space Odyssey. Looking back through this thread I noticed that book is on the library shelves at Divination Towers.

Perhaps our famous person is someone 'lost in space' which is why they are in the polarizer in the first place.

Emma Watson did wizardry work in the Harry Potter movies and I think she flew through space in them too. So maybe not 'lost in space' but 'flying through space'.

All I can think of is Albert Einstein as any one astronaut probably wouldn't rank as "very famous". Although Al probably could figure out how to get out of the polarizer so I guess I have no guess right now. :D

prudence

Hmmm, you're being a bit too tricky here, Mycroft...

b) A Clockwork Orange
c) The Shining
d) Eyes Wide Shut

I had a strong feeling that she wasn't an actor in any of the listed films, but I did do a google divination, to make sure.....and she did not act in them. I did not research any further, as I felt like I was already cheating on this one, but I am thinking her image or one of her movies must have been playing/shown in one of those films....that is why you wrote "appears" rather than "acted in"....

My guess without delving further into the google vortex of possibly cheating, ummm it has to be the shining or eyes wide shut, so I will go with Eyes Wide Shut. Nul points, Prudence. :D

moonbear

Isn't anyone just a tad concerned that Mycroft might have been abducted?

Debra

In that getup? Not a chance.

Mycroft

Isn't anyone just a tad concerned that Mycroft might have been abducted?
Yes, we're all fine. Emma finally let us out of the cupboard once we'd all read the complete works of Germaine Greer and gained a complete appreciation of feminist values. Being the wonderful person that she is, she also decided to give a complete demonstration of both the correct attire and correct choreography for receiving spirits,

d8xh.jpg

"It's just a jump to the left"

The Count and I have been cropped out of these photos because apparently, "We don't want to scare the nice people at home, now do we."

The strength of the etheric field has also now weakened enough such that we can start to give some clues, and I'm aMAZEd no-one has got Emma's Stanley Kubrick poser yet.

For the mysterious message I'm going to be oblique and implore You Crazy Diamonds to Shine On.

For the famous person, well we are fortunate to welcome the spirit of the late great Les Gray, who's going to lead us through the redemptive tale of Abigail Rocket-Blast - get ready to shoulder-rock - it's Mud!!

Metafizzypop

I saw all four of those Stanley Kubrick movies, plus a couple more. It wasn't intentional, I assure you. It just sort of happened that way.

Anyway, Bette Davis 'appears' in The Shining, I'm fairly certain. The word Appears is probably in quotes because she only appears in a manner of speaking. That is, she doesn't have a role in the movie. But the camera does briefly show a photo of her on a wall, along with photos of several other celebrities. She is one of many guests who stayed at a big hotel. So she appears in the movie without actually being in it.

At least, that's what I remember.