The Teleplasmic Cabinet of Devilish Doom!

Mycroft

My knowledge of music and movies would have me Shane'd beyond belief so thank goodness for the DivineGooglingator.

Since the lyrics of several of the songs refer to a young starlet who changes her name and it doesn't seem to be Marilyn, I'm going to follow the "Jane" clue and say Jayne Mansfield. Jayne died in a car crash in Louisiana (Elvis started that clip you provided singing about Dixie) at only 34 yrs old.

The original clue indicates the quote may not have necessarily been associated with the spirit and with all the "shine" clues, I'm going to go with the message from the movie The Shining:
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."
Some great deduction here, and although neither the spirit or the message are correct, they were both on my final short-list, which has to be worth a point,

image008.jpg

"zannamarie, un pwoant - zannamarie, one point"

zannamarie (+1)

2daa.jpg

I'm going with Ginger Rogers, friend of Bette Davis, who did films for RKO which is referenced in the opening song of Rocky Horror - and she was a dancer, which the Time Warp gives steps for dancing and so does Jessie J's song.. Ginger was also in a film 'Flying Down to Rio' ..
also of interest is that the opening song to Rocky Horror is about a Double Feature and you can purchase "Heart Beat - Ginger Rogers / of Human Bondage - Bette Davis, Double Feature" on DVD (Of Human Bondage was an RKO film)
Ooh, we're getting deep into Rocky Horror territory now! All very good stuff, all wrong, but still worth a point for mentioning 'Science Fiction Double Feature',

9sca.jpg

"TheValkyrie, un pwoant - TheValkyrie, one point"

TheValkyrie (+1)

2daa.jpg

Might be worth mentioning that Syd Barrett was the founder and original leader of Pink Floyd, and that the original Rocky Horror stage show contained songs that are not in the movie (but are in another movie.)

moonbear

I seem to have missed out on my 'nul points' :mad: so it's time to give this another try.

The famous person is Guido von List (blind German occultist) and his message to humanity is "A star is extinguished, another will begin to shine." Seems logical, what with all this talk of dead celebrities (stars).

Sorry, couldn't think of a suitable rock/pop/rap You Tube link. Do I lose points for that?

Mycroft

I seem to have missed out on my 'nul points' :mad: so it's time to give this another try. The famous person is Guido von List (blind German occultist) and his message to humanity is "A star is extinguished, another will begin to shine." Seems logical, what with all this talk of dead celebrities (stars). Sorry, couldn't think of a suitable rock/pop/rap You Tube link. Do I lose points for that?
Well, who's been a studious little moonbear then! Although it isn't Guido von List in the cabinet - most people seem to think we're looking for a deceased female movie star who changed her name - he is indeed the 'inspiration' for Count Otto;

"The row of 18 "Armanen runes", also known as the "Armanen futharkh" came to List while in an
11-month state of temporary blindness after a cataract operation on both eyes in 1902."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_von_List
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armanen_Futharkh

This worthy piece of academia simply has to be worth a point, and Gennaro is also informing me that you should have had a point for divining the divine Emma in your challenge, so -

nu0k.jpg

"moonbear, deux pwoant - moonbear, two points"

moonbear (+2)

2daa.jpg
2daa.jpg

And it would have been four points! If only you'd played your joker by linking to some really, really great music - something like this,

Let's re-cap on the story so far - we now know that for the MYSTERIOUS MESSAGE there's a Pink Floyd and a Shining connection here, as well as something from It's A Knockout, and if we start putting together some clues they can all mean only one thing - that's right, South American soccer.

We'll begin at the very top with the world's best player, Lionel Messi of Argentina. In the picture on the left, Lionel's looking very pleased because he's just scored for his side Barcelona as they beat Manchester United to win the Champions League in 2009. By way of contrast, in the picture on the right Lionel's looking very pleased because he's just scored for his side Barcelona as they beat Manchester United to win the Champions League in 2011,

ykrh.jpg

"Messi!! Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!! BARCA!!!"

Now let's check out Lionel at the recent Fifa Ballon d'Or awards. Although the invites were strictly black-tie, Lionel opted for a red suit that hogged all the attention and completely upstaged Cristiano Ronaldo who won the award that Lionel had received for the last four years. However, harsh comments followed, "Everyone is rocking a black tux and Messi shows up in a red one like he's Beyonce" was one of the publishable comments from Twitter. Fortunately, a good friend of this thread has kindly volunteered to show Lionel just how to rock a little red number,

vmcj.jpg

Two of these people are cute and adorable

None of this is actually relevant (or is it?) What we're interested in is the fact that Lionel is often referred to as The New Maradona. They have a lot in common, they're both Argentinian, both left-footed, and both have a face only a mother could love. Maradona himself, seen on the left with some chums celebrating a successful shop-lifting spree, also scored the infamous Hand of God goal on the way to World Cup victory in 1986 (although in the same game he scored the best goal of all time as well.)

If at this point you're thinking 'Soccer - that's sport! I don't know anything about sport!' Don't worry - the clues are in the words (surely) and so we have,

MESSI - MARADONA - 'HAND OF GOD'

Added to what's gone before, are things becoming any clearer?

moonbear

Yea!!! Deux points

thanks Mycroft :)

zannamarie

The sum total of my knowledge of South American soccer is Pele. :D

I presume this was where the "going down to Rio" clue was heading, but I now can say I feel more confused than I was before. lol

Mycroft said:
the clues are in the words (surely) and so we have,

MESSI - MARADONA - 'HAND OF GOD'
Made me think of the movie Chariots of Fire which probably has nothing to do with any of this, but here's some nice music for you while you are stuck the polarizer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY3XiM7oGj0

I decided to seek some bibliomancy help for this (not that it really helped at all last time) and opened the book The Art of Creative Living: Making Every Day a Radiant Masterpiece to:
"After ruminating and meditating one particular day, a thought popped into my mind: You've been considering this scene only as a sunset view. But I wonder--what would the treetopped ridge look like in the light of early morning?" Which made me think of the saying of "It's the dawn of a new day." which doesn't quite seem to be a message for humanity, but as I was googling famous movie quotes, I came across

Judy Garland says "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

Since her birth name was quite different and she did the Wizard of Oz at the ripe old age of 16 and died relatively young, I'm going to guess Judy Garland for the star with you in the polarizer.

For a quote for humanity (from AFI's 100 YEARS...100 MOVIE QUOTES) I'll select "May the force be with you." from Star Wars. That seems like it would go with a polarizer. :D

Mycroft

I'm going to guess Judy Garland for the star with you in the polarizer. For a quote for humanity (from AFI's 100 YEARS...100 MOVIE QUOTES) I'll select "May the force be with you." from Star Wars. That seems like it would go with a polarizer. :D
It's all good stuff, Judy Garland and Pele don't appear together on many forum boards for some reason, and a bit of Vangelis is always welcome. Quotes from The Wizard of Oz and Star Wars as well mean that although neither the famous person nor the mysterious message are correct, Gennaro confirms that we are going to a Divination Challenge, and it's a welcome return to someone we haven't seen for a while....Vernon Kay!

4l9h.jpg

Vernon's been doing his usual thing, and has surveyed ten of Mycroft's friends, asking them one simple question - take it away Vernon,

Vernon's Divination Challenge - zannamarie

Q. We asked ten of Mycroft's friends - Which is your favourite version of
'Cum On Feel The Noize' - What did our survey say?

a) The 1973 Slade original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68db9iial_U
b) Quiet Riot's 1983 cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2A6ItHeFus
c) The 1996 Oasis version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpfojnOayEc

Some more points worth noting. Emma Watson is a British actress who was actually born in a different European country. In the last picture she has a message on her chest, and in the two pictures above Lionel has something written on his chest.

Voyez-vous?

zannamarie

Oui. Not that it helps me. Just again makes me think of Princess Diana as she died in Paris and I can remember Elton John singing the candle in the wind at her memorial service. And since I can't see how she would tie into any of the other clues I have no guess at this time.

It does seem to tie in with F Truffaut, but nothing came to mind when I read about him on my Googlinator.

Vernon's Divination Challenge - zannamarie

Q. We asked ten of Mycroft's friends - Which is your favourite version of
'Cum On Feel The Noize' - What did our survey say?

a) The 1973 Slade original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68db9iial_U
b) Quiet Riot's 1983 cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2A6ItHeFus
c) The 1996 Oasis version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpfojnOayEc
I personally prefer b (and loved the eyes in the mask at the end of the video! :D), but since Mycroft seems to prefer high heels, I'd have to go with a as guess.

Mycroft

I personally prefer b (and loved the eyes in the mask at the end of the video! :D), but since Mycroft seems to prefer high heels, I'd have to go with a as guess.
Oh Non, Non! You talked yourself out of it! It was actually the Quiet Riot version that five of my friends think is the best version (3 for Slade and 2 for Oasis) so unfortunately it's,

ma0w.jpg

"zannamarie, nul pwoant - zannamarie, no points"

zannamarie (0)​

However, help is at hand, the etheric field is now so weak that Mycroft has been able to enlist the help of the Teleplasmic Cabinet and Auric Polarisers Enthusiasts Society,

rej4.jpg

and their leader, Madame Blasthesky, informs me that they now have a very good picture of the spirit and are helping her to materialise on the stairs,

7o7n.jpg

according to Madame, she was a British actress, born in a different European country, with a UNICEF connection, and she's really looking forward to some breakfast once she's fully materialised.

zannamarie

Ooops. I misread the question. I thought it said what do Mycroft's friends think Mycroft's favorite version is. Oh, well, at least I wasn't Shane'd. :D

Elendil

Okay...
Thanks for the clues...

Audrey Hepburn...is the celebrity...

As for the message...Hmmm...Still don't know....:(