Pythagorus and Numerology

TemperanceAngel

This system keeps popping up in strange places in my life and it is a system I am really liking, but am finding it hard to get book(s) on the subect or Pythagorus himself.

I am more interested in his esoteric side, as opposed to his triangle side :laugh:

A very intriguing and interesting person...

Any suggestions on books or web-sites greatly welcome :)
Mainly looking for book(s) though....

XTAX

TemperanceAngel

Very helpful, thanks Rusty :) XTAX

rota

Not stricly Pythagorean, but you would probably find some interesting hints: try 'The Key of it All: The Western Mysteries' by D. A. Hulse. This is one of my favorite reference books for interrelationships between language and number.

Umbrae

Refine internet searches to The Tetractys.

MeeWah

In Manly P. Hall's "The Secret Teachings of All Ages", there are at least 3 chapters devoted to a discussion of his life & philosophy; his theory of mathematics/numbers & his theory of music & colour, respectively.

Recently, I found a reader's edition of this epic tome. An edition eminently more readable due to its text reset & the renumbering of its pages to the contemporary numbers rather than its original Roman numerals:

ISBN 1-58542-250-9

Published by Jeremy P. Tarcher/Penguin

By all accounts, a fascinating man whose details of birth have been compared with that of Jesus.

Edited to add a link to the homepage of The Philosophical Research Society, founded by Hall & which continues to publish mostly his writings:

http://www.prs.org/about.htm

Information about the book can be found on the website.

I found the reader's edition at a local headshop (The Heritage Store). This edition is apparently published through an arrangement with PRS.

The book also includes a chapter on Tarot.

DeLani

I know you're just looking for books about Pythagoras, but I thought I'd also toss in that the Nigel Jackson Tarot's "little" white book has a lot of very cool and interesting stuff about Pythagoras and the tetraktys. Even if you don't care for the deck, I think the little book is worth the money.

TemperanceAngel

Umbrae said:
Gotcha! Thanks XTAX

Chiska

Umbrae said:

I know this was a while ago, but thanks to the magic of SEARCH, I have found these simple words of wisdom.

And now I go, "D'oh!! Why didn't I think of that?!"

;)