Dealing with 'proofers'

Shade

One thing I do take to heart:

Th weatherman gets it wrong

Accountants get it wrong

Doctors get it wrong

No one is suggesting that there is no merit to meteorology, economics, or medicine.

nisaba

Well, I read cards. You don't have to.

No, they have nothing to do with Satan. I don't even believe Satan exists.

No, I don't have to believe in them, any more than I have to believe in a brick wall. They are there and they work - that isn't an article of faith, it's experience.

Then I'll add from now on:

Th weatherman gets it wrong

Accountants get it wrong

Doctors get it wrong

No one is suggesting that there is no merit to meteorology, economics, or medicine.

<grin>

nisaba

Hi :)

How do you deal with people critiquing & wanting you to proof that ... explain yourself.

Explain myself? When is my self-esteem so feeble that I *need* to explain myself to strangers?

Sandalwood

Oh wow, so many great views, experiences and responses :)

I always tell people to believe whatever they want to believe about the cards. Then I go on to explain that it's a system of sorts that seems to work out quite well for me. If they don't believe it works then they should walk away.

That's what I normally do, thanks.

@Aj, yeah I could see that too. Sometimes it's nice to open up the conversation. It's always interesting to hear the other side, like what @ravenest said about having an open minded intelligent conversation.

And @shade, agreed, would refuse to read, convincing and/or debating I find a waste of energy.

I do not have to demonstrate my faith in catholicism/Hinduism/whatever and for the same reason I do not have to demonstrate faith in tarot. So, talkingabout religion, no one usually will ask you why you believe in God, and for the same principle, on one should ask you to justify your faith in tarot. More or less it will be my answer

I do think there should be a way to just hear/talk what one sees & feels without letting people sign on for it ;)

@Lrichard: thanks. Can see that. Sometimes I think even when someone is interested it does tend to come to debating situations though. Which is quite normal in all kinds of life situations.

@Nisaba: good point. I'll best leave the ego's to themselves.

Sandalwood

I would welcome a debate or even argument on the subject, but if one is to enter that arena one should know well what one actually thinks ( and so actually have some valid ideas oneself about it first) and how it is working for you ... and how to answer the others points and the twists and turns as the conversation goes along.

But I am talking about an intelligent conversation, not one where the other refuses to answer poignant questions , lays red herrings all over the place, is unaware that they tripped themselves up, cant logically string together their ideas, doesn't contradict themselves, doesn't interrupt or 'invalidate' your relevant points with the assertion that your mother wears army boots and doesn't think questioning their ideas and seeking their validation of them is a personal attack on their character.

I few times I have dealt with them when actually reading (at my market stall) ... of course one doesnt have time for that then ... once there was the age old question; this guy challenged me and thought if it was true two consecutive readings on the same question should throw up the same cards. he seemed quiet smug about it and thought he had worked out a way to 'mis-prove' tarot (without even first finding out what I was doing or how I viewed it :laugh: ) ... so instead of explaining all that I invited him to sit down and 'let's try it'. To my surprise (and his) a large number of cards and a few in the same place came up again (much more than when I have ever done that experiment myself). But I didnt let him know that ... I just let him go off to think about it.

Thats one of the interesting things about tarot ( and other 'related' subjects ) ... how come THAT time it worked so well ?

Love this. Thanks so much for sharing your views :)

Grizabella

I just smile. Let them say what they will. If they were so sure it doesn't work, they wouldn't have sat for a reading, would they?

Time usually takes care of the issue and when they reappear in my life it's usually to come back to tell me Tarot was right after all.

Zephyros

I tell them I agree with them. What a silly notion reading fortunes with bits of paper is!

Now that that's done with... let's read your cards. })

ravenest

I just smile. Let them say what they will. If they were so sure it doesn't work, they wouldn't have sat for a reading, would they?

Thats EXACTLY why the guy in my post above sat for a reading :)

Well, okay, maybe not exactly ... I had something to do with that :) ... he started off as a not really abusive but perhaps sardonic passer-by (yes they would do that every so often, but usually not verbal, just sneer or make a smart comment to the people they were with ). He wanted to challenge me with the old 'demand the unprovable proof' trick ... I guess my demeanor and willingness to get sucked into his plan made him sit .... he he he - sucked in dude }) .

Sandalwood

I tell them I agree with them. What a silly notion reading fortunes with bits of paper is!

Now that that's done with... let's read your cards. })

Lol. That's great :)