My Crystal Ball

Laura Borealis

The difference on an atomic level is that crystals have a regular structure. As the crystals grow, the atoms are arranged in lattices. With glass, the atoms are randomly arranged (amorphous).

This is all new to me, but I would think the atomic structure of a natural crystal has a lot to do with its metaphysical properties (as well as physical ones). With glass you might not have strong metaphysical properties? Though as that one quote says, everything has its own energy. And glass definitely has physical properties that quartz crystal (for instance) does not, like refractive and optical properties. We don't make lenses for glasses or telescopes out of quartz, we make them out of glass because it does those tasks best... even something like a simple suncatcher that scatters rainbow lights, we use glass not quartz crystal because quartz won't do that.

As far as scrying goes I can imagine the optical properties of glass might actually enhance it in some ways :)

GotH

What do you think about glass/human-made materials?

If we can skry in a blank smartphone screen ;) I'm sure glass crystal balls are fair game for gazing. But it does seem a little cheesy, I don't know.

You are exactly right Laura! If you can scry with everything and anything why do some people turn their nose up at glass balls? I wondered that myself and decided to think about it for a bit. Here's my opinion on this. A couple of things came to mind. Let's pretend the spheres are food. ;) Everybody understands food these days right? Glass balls are created by man, or processed. Crystals are formed naturally by the earth. I know that when we eat processed foods we miss out on a lot vital nutrients that nourish your body. The processed foods are basically junk. Edible or scryable yes, but limited in nutrients or information. Scrying with a glass ball, a blank screen or something else man made may limit your visions because they don't hold the vast information that crystals do and are not as strong conductors of information as crystals are. Especially clear quartz. Another example.. With my limited experience I can tell you that when I scry with my natural made spheres, I seem to get really deep images and scenes like one would feel while reading a detailed history book or science fiction novel. When I'm scrying with wet sand on the beach I usually get entertaining images but I'd say it's more like flipping through an entertainment magazine. I just think it's about the quality of material and information the crystal holds, literally and visually.

That is why the wild salmon filet and vegetables costs more than the "cheesy" burger and fries on the menu. ;) Me? I personally like BOTH. :D

I hope this makes sense..

Laura Borealis

and I went and found the healing properties of glass (metaphysically speaking)

"Many consider glass to have no metaphysical properties, but others who are aware, realize that glass has energy like all else in the Universe, and thus has its own set of properties. Glass is a melding of the traditional four elements, because through fire and air the silica earth element is made molten and transmuted into a liquid only to return to its earthly state as an apparent solid. It can be made to focus light or allow light to pass through invisibly or carry lightwaves great distances through tiny strands. Metaphysically, glass represents and carries the energies of transformation, merging of elements, rebirth, focus and communication. The colors of the glass bring the vibrations of those specific color energies."
(Meanings.crystalandjewelry)

Now that is really interesting... (now that I actually slowed down and read it :D) The merging of elements, the rebirth (through fire! like a phoenix). And again, I think the optical properties are really important! Glass allows us to see both vast distances (telescopes) and the very very small (microscopes). Using a glass sphere for scrying seems quite apropos now that we've explored this!

thanks Laura, for posting this site....they have decent prices too--and some that I can easily afford. I think I'm going to be making a new "want list" and instead of tarot cards it'll be crystal balls. :D This site can easily become my playground!

Yay! Please feel free to buy the one I first linked, if it calls to you. I like it, but I am also craving a $70 jeweler's saw :D Right now I think I want to put my funds toward my metalsmithing...

They also have a lot of drop dead gorgeous crystal balls, though some of the prices! Oof! There's a $600,000 pietersite (it's HUGE) and they have sold spheres as high as $46,500. I can't even imagine. If that much money was pocket change to me, I'd be using it to fund Habitat for Humanity projects and the like, not buying rutilated quartz balls no matter how beautiful.

Thank you for this Padma! This is so true. EVERYTHING has energy in it and glass does too. however, I never stopped to think that it is the melding of the traditional 4 elements. We live near a glass factory (Corning) and I've seen glass items being created/blown, so I should've realized this as we watched them from start to finish. It is fascinating. Sometimes they offer classes too. I may just look into taking a short class, and make my OWN crystal ball! that would be soooo cool!!! I never thought of this till I read your post here. Now, I'm going to have to make that dream come true! :D

meanwhile, I'll pour over the images in the site Laura provided and dream of them too...:)

Wow, what a fabulous idea... making your own crystal balls! You should definitely do that :thumbsup:

celticnoodle

makes perfect sense, GOTH and thank you to Laura too. I never really thought it through like that. However, my pocket book prefers man made glass balls. :D

and, also, I like to think that it's not just the ball you are using for divining with. LIke anything else, tarot, oracle, runes, tea leaves, etc.. these are just tools and the ability lies deep in yourself. So, in this sense, it shouldn't really matter if the ball is a natural crystal or just a man made one, right?

GotH

They also have a lot of drop dead gorgeous crystal balls, though some of the prices! Oof! There's a $600,000 pietersite (it's HUGE) and they have sold spheres as high as $46,500. I can't even imagine. If that much money was pocket change to me, I'd be using it to fund Habitat for Humanity projects and the like, not buying rutilated quartz balls no matter how beautiful.

And THAT my friends is why I was all excited about going to the gem show in AZ. Trick or Treat Crystal style!!! :cool2:

GotH

and, also, I like to think that it's not just the ball you are using for divining with. LIke anything else, tarot, oracle, runes, tea leaves, etc.. these are just tools and the ability lies deep in yourself. So, in this sense, it shouldn't really matter if the ball is a natural crystal or just a man made one, right?

Since I came in contact with my crystal ball, tarot cards now seem 2 dimensional to me. Basically flat. Just stating my truths here..

Padma

@ GotH - I can see your point about it being apples to oranges....but then, they are both fruit! Good metaphor though, about the food :)

I think glass would still give good results. Or at least, some results, even if not as indepth as crystal. If you hunt around on the web, you can find some pretty good deals...a lot of places are charging more than they should...!

I wish I had more money :) lol! Though Laura I agree, if I had 45,000 $ just lying around, I would fund animal or people rescue...cause after all, you can't take it with you!

@ CN, cool about being able to go and make your own sphere! :D

GotH

Really quickly...

One more thing that's on my mind that I felt like mentioning to figure out my own self is... I've been practicing with a lot of different methods lately and I've discovered something. Like I mentioned in one of the posts above tarot seems 2 dimensional to me now but is highly reliable. I realize that I tend to go off of what each card "feels" to me vs what the pictures are saying. Quite often in my readings I'll say something like, this feels to me..... blah blah blah. I could EASILY read with blank tarot cards with just names on it and do just fine. Where as with the ball, I receive information in images then have to figure out their meaning..

Does this happen with anyone else? I'm curious.. I find the differences fascinating in how people "gather" universal information .

Padma

I realize that I tend to go off of what each card "feels" to me vs what the pictures are saying. Quite often in my readings I'll say something like, this feels to me..... blah blah blah. I could EASILY read with blank tarot cards with just names on it and do just fine.

Does this happen with anyone else? I'm curious.. I find the differences fascinating in how people "gather" universal information .

Yes. Even when the cards are upright, I can feel if they feel reversed. Or, I get a positive card, but it doesn't *feel* positive within the context of that reading. And so on. Even with Lenormands or whatever system I happen to be using at the time.

GotH

Yes. Even when the cards are upright, I can feel if they feel reversed. Or, I get a positive card, but it doesn't *feel* positive within the context of that reading. And so on. Even with Lenormands or whatever system I happen to be using at the time.

Thanks.. This must be what's called, intuitive reading, correct? I'm still such a newbie with terms. :shhh: