What tarot book and deck for beginners?

Le_Corsair

The Beginner's Guide To Tarot by Juliet Sharman-Burke, with deck by Giovanni Caselli. This is a book/deck set and retails for less than 15 dollars US. The deck is an RWS clone, and so can be used with any generic tarot book. The book is softcover but good quality paper, sewn instead of glued; very durable. The deck is uncoated stock and a trifle thin, and unfortunately has an unattractive back. Still, it is probably the single best value in the tarot world.

A review of the book/set combo is available here from Tarot Passages, written by Aeclectic's own Mari Hoshizaki.

Bob :THERM

edited to add link to review.

Emily

Hi LeeChrista,

The Morgan Greer also comes with a companion book - its not one of the best companion books I've seen but it will give you a feel for the deck and then just about any Rider Waite book can be used with it. :)

Silverlotus

I quite like Tarot Plain and Simple, along with the Robin Wood Tarot, if you are interested in pagan symbolism. Ms. Wood follows RWS symbolism quite closely as well, so that should make moving on to other RWS-based decks easier.

lark

Hi LeeChrista

I have heard that a companion book for the Midieval Scapini will be coming out this year.
I have a hard time with my deck too.
So I'm hoping that the book will clear up a few things for me.
You have many fine replys here.
Just a matter of looking a few up and picking one that speaks to you.
Let us know what you chose.

LeeChrista

I chose Beginners Guide to Tarot by Sharman Burke

I ended up chosing that one because it seemed to be the best deal. I will let you know how it goes once I recieve it. Thanks so much, Lee

ncefafn

There's a lot of stuff in 78 Degrees of Wisdom that I disagree with, and I'm not sure it's the best book for a beginner. I do like many of the other recommendations I've seen here, such as Joan Bunning's book and website, Nancy Garen's book, as well as my personal favorite, Tarot for Your Self, by Mary K. Greer.