Pain and visionary experiences

Milfoil

When I was 11/ 12 I was tortured. Taken away from my pagan / shamanistic father and stuck into a christian orphanage. They wanted me to become christian....
I was beaten by nuns on the back, belly and upper arms and legs - where the welts and bruises can not be seen when wearing cloths.
They used thin swishy iron rods - like curtain rods, leather straps and other fine equipment..... My only chance to survive was to "escape" the pain by going into trance. There I could see, what was going on elsewhere at the same time - or earlier or what will happen.........
I did not feel the pain then, only after.... and then scare the nuns even more when reporting that back to them what I saw and when it was found out to be accurate.

Now I usually "journey" on the pain, when at the dentist - so I do not need freezing.....

Journeying to feel the physical pain of a client is something different - Then I feel their pain in my body while on the journey - but it is all gone when the journey ends. I am just exhausted.....

Not sure I'm quite at the point where I can ride the pain without medication at the dentist! Perhaps sometime but not yet.

Sometimes I feel things with clients, aches where I had none before and which go away after a person has left, that sort of thing but not, so far, in a journey. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Dee Ell

hmmm... maybe I'm not very "advanced" in this way, but I've never had any visionary experiences nor "gone anywhere" despite the fact that I do "leave my body" when in painful/traumatic situations (unless it involves other people - then I'm hyper-alert to mitigate disaster). But it's more like I go into a space of oblivion rather than traveling anywhere or seeing anything.

Does anyone have thoughts on how I might move beyond that "space of oblivion" to something more - to somehow harness the pain/trauma for something "productive" so to speak, rather than simply blank avoidance/escape?

I'm also curious if there is a difference for people with Chronic pain vs Acute pain?

And if perhaps the duration of the trauma/pain affects one's ability to utilize it? (e.g. if it goes on for years and years, beginning from a very young age, maybe this other "sense" becomes dulled/numb? I know that the brain is severely affected when it's still developing in children and trauma is ongoing rather than a single event).

ETA: 2dogs pointed me to this thread from his fascinating oracle reading thread :)

Mi-Shell

Dee Ell, what happens to you sounds to me like you are "dissociating from reality" in order to avoid the pain. but pain is a symptom of something "wrong / amiss/ broken / in need of attention. So pain will persist - or get worse, when a patient dissociates.
What I do with my shamanic clients suffering from chronic pain - or pain from other causes is, journey into the centre of that very pain, ask it to manifest as a Being and then ask this Pain Being, what it wants, what it needs in order to subside.
It is extremely astounding, what comes out of these journeys.
Some people have BECOME the pain, they are afraid, that when the pain goes away, they loose their identity. They would not know, how to be a healthy pain free person.
Some encounter an angry child lost in -> the accident that caused the back injury for example.
Some get "perks" out of "being the suffering one in the family", that they would have to relinquish, when they change.
Some have a skeleton like Weasel gnawing at the spot and ifff in the journey they feed love and appropriate food - a dead Mouse to that Weasl, the pain is gone when they wake up......
What kind of Being is your pain?
Have a conversation with it - and ifff you want, PM me and we talk.....

Rhapsodin

A most interesting post and approach.

I'm naturally sorrowed to hear of your treatment Mi-Shell, it seems too often kids have been abused while in care. Prosecutions are rife now and good too, at least some comeuppance for the abusers although that won't even begin to erase residual pain or memories.

Dee Ell

Mahalo for that Mi-Shell -- I have tried some shamanic work (well, I should say, I have had others "do" shamanic work to me, if that makes sense - I don't know the right terminology - I was living in a non-english speaking country at the time so my translations of things are fuzzy) to try and work through these issues (at the time I didn't know I had chronic PTSD) but I will pm you about the details. Thanks again for your detailed input and suggestion.

ravenest

A most interesting post and approach.

I'm naturally sorrowed to hear of your treatment Mi-Shell, it seems too often kids have been abused while in care. Prosecutions are rife now and good too, at least some comeuppance for the abusers although that won't even begin to erase residual pain or memories.

Mi-shells experience (and attitude and resultant shamanic skills) seem close to the way it was, until recently, worked here (with the Australian Aboriginals). Pain was used and inflicted, to help people get to that state ... ( but not to punish them or make them change their behavior - on that level there was punishment but it worked differently). When the Aboriginals first witnessed floggings done by whites they were horrified, firstly, at the cruelty and secondly at the misuse of a sacred 'method' ... pain.

The personification of a process (the weasel and its feeding) can greatly improve treatment ( or untreated make it worse, eg. in cases of 'possession' where the 'complex' takes on 'personality') , in some cases in western medicine, this exact approach of 'personification' (including animal and other 'identities') has worked quiet well ... sometimes when no other cure can be found.

http://www.theisticpsychology.org/books/w.vandusen/presence_spirits.htm

MandMaud

Something I know a lot about. Fascinating.

I have only once had that sort of experience/vision while in pain - and that was a migraine. Not my first intensely painful migraine, not my worst ever, nor my only or first travelling experience (my others have been during healing; I'm not yet very good at getting into that state without another healer's help). Nor my only time in intense pain, come to that. I'm not sure why it happened that time and no other. I haven't had much intense pain lately to try and harness this.

Dee Ell, my feeling is that the intensity of the pain would help, rather than the duration. Though being trapped for any length of time (under fallen rubble, say) would have its own effect.

The time it did happen during the migraine, I learnt afterwards that what happened was "psychic surgery"*. I felt myself hollowed out, my innards removed etc, and was left feeling very pure, healed, cleansed.

* I use quote marks only because I don't like labelling these things - whichever terminology you choose, you're choosing a belief system to go with it. I need to make up my own vocabulary. :)

My migraine history is unusual and nowadays I get the "side effects" without the headache. Mainly visual stuff, the classic aura - psychedelic zigzags etc with mood alterations - there's a fantastic website collecting lots of people's experiences of this which I'll try to find again (scotoma is the word for the blind patches, I believe). It shows art of what people see, and some of it is exactly what I get. I don't count this as visionary, though the shapes are common to trance images and some ancient cave drawings apparently - my background was entirely orthodox Western so others will know more about that side of things.

... Aha! Found the website: Migraine Aura Foundation
I could have sworn it had a menu down the left-hand side but it's not there on the home page - it turned up on other pages, though (don't ask me how the site's structured!). However, spirituality is mentioned: http://www.migraine-aura.com/content/e27891/e27265/e42285/e42419/index_en.html ("VS" stands for visual scotoma).

Sorry to focus so much on migraine, but it's what I know about.

A long time ago I recognised that for a Western thinker to say "This IS neurology," and to dismiss "This IS made by spirits working on you" as impossible, isn't logical. This was long before I knew spirits are to be taken seriously! :) I now find it easier to work with this stuff using the metaphor of spirits than to work with the neurological framework. In other words, when I decide to interact with the spirits/presences/consciousnesses who I feel aware of, I make progress in a way I don't when I decide to study the medical side of things and think of myself as a patient.

Also, I can no longer distinguish psychological from spiritual. I think this is a step forwards, not back. :) It's all just the psyche. And that's not too separate from body, either.

Yes, the physical (neurological) signs are there (I have MRI evidence of mine), but we can't say they come before the mood/spiritual/sensory effects, causally.

In fact it was this and other (mostly emotional) traumas that led me into thinking and reading about shamanism - having never come across it in the circles I hung out with - which was the path that brought me to this forum, and to being a healer and to wherever I'll be heading next. Hmm... :)

And separately - I've read about the phenomenon of detaching from an experience, common among those who have undergone physical abuse over a long period (usually in childhood). On a forum I once "overheard" a conversation about it, people comparing notes on the way they put the painful experience into a box somewhere apart from the rest of themselves. They were swapping labels for this, in a supportive way (in a "Don't worry, you're normal, we all do it" way, I mean). But over the years I've moved from those labels towards other terms. Shamanism would name it soul loss, for example. Part of the person escapes the trauma by retreating to an inaccessible place.

I don't think it's always retreat, though. I think my migraine thing, and what you're describing, Milfoil, are simply accessing somewhere "else".

Mi-Shell, I know exactly what you mean about chronic pain, about people becoming their pain. I've had a chronic pain condition for years and the learning curve took me through that. It's interesting that Dorothy Rowe writes about the very same thing with regard to depression - the fear that with the suffering removed (depression in her books, physical pain in what you're referring to), if the person got to the centre of themselves, there'd turn out to be no identity there. Healing is largely about taking that risk (supporting someone else to take it), and finding there is someone in the middle after all. :) Interesting too that you yourself have stayed working with regular, maybe everyday, physical pain...?! :)

Also PTSD, that's another label (again, I have / have had it) for soul loss and there must be names for the same thing in all languages.

I can feel a huge waffling-on approaching... so I'll stop now! The next bit is just about the value of perceiving damage (whether a sprained wrist or hurtful words spoken or whatever) as BIG, being an essential step in healing it. Hence sometimes dramatic damage is easier to recover from than what is apparently minor. But I can't quite justify how that connects with the rest of this thread so I'll save it for another context. ;)

Annabelle

In very severe pain, no. My body and mind shut down, hard.

On strong pain medications, YES. Wow, whoa, yes. In an altered, calm state, I start to see the world in terms of archetypes. I start to really feel the widening gyre described by Yeats, you know? It's amazing.