Beginner book for learning how to apply card x to the question.

Meemai

Hello,

In spreads I am really strugling with the following: Let's say someone or I myself ask the cards 'I am troubled with this.' And then I pull out a card and then I do not know how the hell I am supoed to use that card with the issue at hand or how to see the card and place the card in the perspective of the issue.

Like when I would ask 'How can I be more courageous in life' And I would draw a card like 9 of cups I would not know how to see that card for the question I asked. This of course is just an example no need to tell me what the 9 of cups would mean. Rather I would like to know some good sources or books which covers this subject to a great deal.

Or at least give me the tools to go on with this. Thanks a lot!

rwcarter

I'm not aware of any such beginner book. I don't even know if there's an advanced book that will show you that. I think it's something that comes with experience in reading - you do a reading and get a card in a position that you've never seen before and you have to come up with an interpretation. You then add that interpretation to your arsenal.

One way you can strengthen those muscles yourself is through something I like to call 78 riffs on a theme. Every card can potentially be applied to every position or topic. So pick a topic and apply each card to it. On the topic of "Red Flag relationship warning cards" I came up with this post. How did I come up with those meanings? I took the essence of the card (or the RWS image) and thought about how that could be a red flag in a relationship. The Fool can be seen as being carefree. How can that be a red flag? If one is so free of cares that they become irresponsible (at least as seen by others).

Rodney

Look through each of my responses and see if you can find the link between what I wrote and your understanding of the card. If you have a RWS deck, it will also help to look at the images since a number of interpretations are based on imagery instead of the "traditional" meaning.

Meemai

I'm not aware of any such beginner book. I don't even know if there's an advanced book that will show you that. I think it's something that comes with experience in reading - you do a reading and get a card in a position that you've never seen before and you have to come up with an interpretation. You then add that interpretation to your arsenal.

One way you can strengthen those muscles yourself is through something I like to call 78 riffs on a theme. Every card can potentially be applied to every position or topic. So pick a topic and apply each card to it. On the topic of "Red Flag relationship warning cards" I came up with this post. How did I come up with those meanings? I took the essence of the card (or the RWS image) and thought about how that could be a red flag in a relationship. The Fool can be seen as being carefree. How can that be a red flag? If one is so free of cares that they become irresponsible (at least as seen by others).

Rodney

Look through each of my responses and see if you can find the link between what I wrote and your understanding of the card. If you have a RWS deck, it will also help to look at the images since a number of interpretations are based on imagery instead of the "traditional" meaning.

Thank you, very helpful link. It might work to do it like this, maybe I am asking harder questions that are more open. Maybe I should try and be more specific with my cards. I should think about that start with easy questions follow up with harder. Thanks a lot I will check that list more intensly with a cup of tea later, or wait its so hot, probably some ice! Oh and I will take my Rider Waite with me, thanks a lot. :)

Farzon

Just saw this threat and I immediately thought of Hajo Banzhaf's books.... He is Germany's most well-known author on the subject and they do exist in English, too (just checked on amazon).

He has meanings for different situations, cards as a day card, positive and negative aspects....
Hope this helps ^^!