making a magic circle

ravenest

Those rituals arent really comparable - they are not for making a 'magic circle' and are out of context considering Wicca . There are far more complex dynamics at work within them than the simplistic deosil / widdershins movements.

nisaba

It is reversed in the southern hemisphere.

It is also reversed depending on your perspective.

Conduct this experiment with a friend. Get the one of you turning on the spot in a clockwise direction, arms help out. Then the other one lie down with your head near the turning person's feet, looking up at their moving arms. Which way are they turning? Yes. Anti-clockwise. Yet they are still moving in the same direction. Then the one turning, keep turning. The one lying down, stand up. Suddenly they are magically turning clockwise again, again without changing direction!

If we like to think that "Deosil" (anti-clockwise, or in the Northern Hemisphere, clockwise) is somehow positive and "Widdershins" (clockwise, or in the N.H. anti-clockwise) is somehow negative, how do you reconcile this? If you are an earth-worshipper as opposed to a transcendent-gods-worshipper, the earth would be seeing your "positive" movement as "negative".

Oh, and "Deosil" is pronounced close to "jessil"; "samhain from the Gaelic, is pronounced according to Gaelic-speakers as "sav-EEN", not as "SOW-an", which seem to be popular though incorrect.

ravenest

Ummm ... yeah .... what you wrote about with the person twirling is the same dynamic in play between the northern and southern hemispheres.

Of course the direction of rotation is not changing ... that would mean that the north hemisphere of the Earth spins one way and the south hemisphere another way.

I realise that doesnt happen and that it , like many things, is a question of perspective and point of view. :)

The spinning person in your analogy who " Suddenly they are magically turning clockwise again" hasnt pulled off a magical feat. The other person did pull off a physical feat - by standing up and changing POV.

Now, if you can change YOUR POV and instead of a person spinning, visualise a ball spinning in space, and if you view it from above or below (north or south hemisphere) it too will have 'magically' changed direction of rotation (not).

So although if two people were spinning, one in the in the north and one in the south, they go in different directions from their own perspective geocentrically but they are moving in the same direction from a heliocentric POV, which would be the view ( ie, 'at' the earth, from above, below or the Sun, etc) of 'space gods' - if thats what you mean by "transcendent-gods-worshipper".

Again movement is about the 'apparent' motion of the sun across the sky. It will always come up in the east, (earth will always spin the same way , and produce certain dynamics because of that ) but east isn't left or right, left or right is dependant on POV.

No reconciliation is required. A closer look at energetic dynamics might be?

I think the best way to answer your question from a magical perspective is to meditate on these;

http://paulgroomphotography.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/vortex.jpg

http://www.marinebio.net/marinescience/02ocean/swimg/wwdrift.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/52d219686a36d25102ffb5cc237829c3/tumblr_n7esq5zqrs1sn5m9vo1_1280.jpg

ivanna

If you dig through the archives I think somewhere on AT we actually wrote out directions for 'The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram' and 'The Rose Cross' ...

Yep I have info about the banishing rituals an so. I'm definetly not prepared to do this, I don't have enough knowledges, so finally I decided not to do it. Some candles magic for my spell, that seemed to work pretty well, btw.