Contacting Spirit Guides Safely

danieljuk

I was reading through this thread recently - Contacting Spirit Guides Through Tarot and got a bit worried about my casual talking to my spirit guides and it's a new thing for me in the last 18 months. It's just the beginning stages I guess and I feel safe talking to them and that I am protected and they help me. But in the discussion in the thread, it's pointed out that some entities out there are not nice and masquerade and seem like they are helpful and good.

This concerns me now because I don't want to invite or attach anything negative to myself! I wondered if anyone has any suggestions in this area and also ideas for protection?

Reading google, people have a lot of different ideas! One site says you should have a protection technique before anything, divination (even a tarot reading), talking to spirit guides and any other spiritual work.

I do sometimes ask for only good and do protection and white light, but not for talking to my spirit guides. I wonder what is the 'line' where you do need to protect yourself and how to do it? I never even considered the negative part before reading that thread and slightly anxious I started to get in to something I need to research more about now.

A lot of the websites online are also from people who sell "curse removal" on people and so I wonder about this or is it just scaremongering. I think I do need to start doing protection though in some form.

Briar Rose

You'll probably end up reading my forum post in Crystals on protection. I would recommend the same book here-

Judy Hall's book on, Crystals for Psychic Self Protection.

It may not seem like doing a bunch of steps would be important, or that doing nothing is ok b/c this stuffs come naturally after a while and you don't need any protection..... bull.

However, I have known and have heard of a lot of illnesses contracted by psychics and energy healers and I believe that not fully understanding what working with energy is, is the #1 cause for health problems. Me for example played around with meditation and kundalini and experiencing kundalini, I truly believe that was the cause of my diverticulitus. I didn't do the research and played around with energy without knowing what to do to protect myself.

ravenest

I was reading through this thread recently - Contacting Spirit Guides Through Tarot and got a bit worried about my casual talking to my spirit guides and it's a new thing for me in the last 18 months. It's just the beginning stages I guess and I feel safe talking to them and that I am protected and they help me. But in the discussion in the thread, it's pointed out that some entities out there are not nice and masquerade and seem like they are helpful and good.

This concerns me now because I don't want to invite or attach anything negative to myself! I wondered if anyone has any suggestions in this area and also ideas for protection?

Reading google, people have a lot of different ideas! One site says you should have a protection technique before anything, divination (even a tarot reading), talking to spirit guides and any other spiritual work.

I do sometimes ask for only good and do protection and white light, but not for talking to my spirit guides. I wonder what is the 'line' where you do need to protect yourself and how to do it? I never even considered the negative part before reading that thread and slightly anxious I started to get in to something I need to research more about now.

A lot of the websites online are also from people who sell "curse removal" on people and so I wonder about this or is it just scaremongering. I think I do need to start doing protection though in some form.

This surprises me that you have not read about it before. I have written so many posts, about it or referring to it and similar and asking people if they would just leave their front door open for anyone to walk in and 'help' them, outlined the dangers, some problems and what one should do about it. Spirits, ouija, the 'safety principles' in magic, evocation, invocation ... comparisons to be an electrician or not - playing with with the wiring, etc. etc.

Cant believe you missed all that.

danieljuk

You'll probably end up reading my forum post in Crystals on protection. I would recommend the same book here-

Judy Hall's book on, Crystals for Psychic Self Protection.

It may not seem like doing a bunch of steps would be important, or that doing nothing is ok b/c this stuffs come naturally after a while and you don't need any protection..... bull.

However, I have known and have heard of a lot of illnesses contracted by psychics and energy healers and I believe that not fully understanding what working with energy is, is the #1 cause for health problems. Me for example played around with meditation and kundalini and experiencing kundalini, I truly believe that was the cause of my diverticulitus. I didn't do the research and played around with energy without knowing what to do to protect myself.

Thanks for the great advice Briar. I think that was exactly my problem, I felt into this with some sort of intuitive and spiritual development and things started happening. But I just went with it but I didn't think about this! Then reading threads where people felt in danger and also reading google that you can't trust everything!

Definitely going to read the threads and get the book on crystal protection. Although I said I never use protection, I didn't do it every time but I am nearly always wearing crystals against negative energy as an empath and sometimes do a white light protection but I did do meditations and talk to my spirit guides. I will learn from this and improve the safe part!

Just lost a little confidence in my spiritual work :( I was doing meditations and talking really and only to my spirit guides. That is interesting about spiritual illnesses! If I am going to work with energy than I have to become more wise about it! Thanks :)

This surprises me that you have not read about it before. I have written so many posts, about it or referring to it and similar and asking people if they would just leave their front door open for anyone to walk in and 'help' them, outlined the dangers, some problems and what one should do about it. Spirits, ouija, the 'safety principles' in magic, evocation, invocation ... comparisons to be an electrician or not - playing with with the wiring, etc. etc.

Cant believe you missed all that.

I know, I know!
I have to say I do know my limits. I just do scrying and meditations, I don't really invoke or do ouija! I do what I feel safe with. But I think I should have protected against that :( Like I say I don't contact any spirit out there, I just am getting in touch with my spirit guides but it never occurred to me there could be risk there! They might not be who they seem!

DownUnderNZer

As a teen Ouija scared me and I have heard many a horror story over the years since.

As a young adult on I have never had problems with boards of any kind, but I respect everything I try.

Never done candles, stones, salt, smoking sage, rituals, but now and then will do a little prayer to creator, my ancestors and those I trust in spirit etc.

There are negative energies and entities out there and as long as you dont trespass or attract them to you ~ you should be fine. :)

A good guide or spirit would never steer you the wrong way or do harmful things.Should be a good vibe only.

celticnoodle

Daniel, I highly recommend you do protection and grounding techniques before doing anything related to divination. It certainly won't hurt you, even if you do not believe in it. But, it COULD help you--even if you don't believe in it. You know what I mean?

It can be as simple as a quick one line prayer asking your guides to be around you and protect you from all and any evil. It can be more elaborate, however you are comfortable with.

I, myself, ask my guides and Archangel Michael to watch over me and protect me. Sometimes I ask for the help and guidance and protection of my deceased loved ones too. I do many other things as well, and they are now a part of my daily routine whether or not I do a reading, because as a medium and an empathy, there are spirits around me all the time, whether or not I take the time to acknowledge them.

Always better to be safe then sorry. Protect and ground yourself. all the time. always.

Mellaenn

I say prayers for protection every day when I wake up for general protection from psychic energy, even (especially) from the living, but of course very much so from lower spirit entities. Being an empath, I need the extra layer.

Here is a prayer of protection that I say before each reading that I do:

I call on the Archangel Michael to fill and surround me with your blue flame of healing and protection. I ask you, dear one, to cover me, cover me, cover me, cover me. Cover me to the front and the back, to the left and the right, above and below, and in the center. I ask you to fill and surround my auric field with your great force field of healing and protection. Nothing can enter my field on any level of being without your divine permission. Thank you, dear one, thank you Mother-Father God. And so, it is. I now know my aura is cleared, healed and closed to all but the Christ Vibration.

I have really bonded with Michael as a result. The only drawback is that he is a stickler for truth-telling so I have to behave. :)

I also call for the sitter to imagine a tendril of their energy going down, down into Mother Earth and anchoring there. Then I say something like "We call on our guardian angels and spirit guides to come forward at this time. Dear ones, please bless us with your love and guidance as we cast a light on the path of life."

Once I began to use these prayers and invocations, the quality of information in the readings became so much better and the information seemed to flow forth, is the best way I can describe it. But protection and asking for help are key to me whether I am doing readings or just going about my day.

GotH

I say prayers for protection every day when I wake up for general protection from psychic energy, even (especially) from the living, but of course very much so from lower spirit entities. Being an empath, I need the extra layer.

Here is a prayer of protection that I say before each reading that I do:

I call on the Archangel Michael to fill and surround me with your blue flame of healing and protection. I ask you, dear one, to cover me, cover me, cover me, cover me. Cover me to the front and the back, to the left and the right, above and below, and in the center. I ask you to fill and surround my auric field with your great force field of healing and protection. Nothing can enter my field on any level of being without your divine permission. Thank you, dear one, thank you Mother-Father God. And so, it is. I now know my aura is cleared, healed and closed to all but the Christ Vibration.

I have really bonded with Michael as a result. The only drawback is that he is a stickler for truth-telling so I have to behave. :)

I also call for the sitter to imagine a tendril of their energy going down, down into Mother Earth and anchoring there. Then I say something like "We call on our guardian angels and spirit guides to come forward at this time. Dear ones, please bless us with your love and guidance as we cast a light on the path of life."

Once I began to use these prayers and invocations, the quality of information in the readings became so much better and the information seemed to flow forth, is the best way I can describe it. But protection and asking for help are key to me whether I am doing readings or just going about my day.

That is so beautiful Mell. I'm going to start using this prayer..

ravenest

Thanks for the great advice Briar. I think that was exactly my problem, I felt into this with some sort of intuitive and spiritual development and things started happening. But I just went with it but I didn't think about this! Then reading threads where people felt in danger and also reading google that you can't trust everything!

Definitely going to read the threads and get the book on crystal protection. Although I said I never use protection, I didn't do it every time but I am nearly always wearing crystals against negative energy as an empath and sometimes do a white light protection but I did do meditations and talk to my spirit guides. I will learn from this and improve the safe part!

Just lost a little confidence in my spiritual work :( I was doing meditations and talking really and only to my spirit guides. That is interesting about spiritual illnesses! If I am going to work with energy than I have to become more wise about it! Thanks :)

I know, I know!
I have to say I do know my limits. I just do scrying and meditations, I don't really invoke or do ouija! I do what I feel safe with. But I think I should have protected against that :( Like I say I don't contact any spirit out there, I just am getting in touch with my spirit guides but it never occurred to me there could be risk there! They might not be who they seem!

Its perfectly okay to check 'IDs' and ask questions ... think of the electrician again .

However one has to know HOW to check the ID and bonafides of an electrician or 'spirit'. Both them and us are 'bound' by certain 'codes' and 'contracts'.

General ID is similar to judging a material person's character though. If you are only doing light work ( ;) ) - as it appears - you should be okay :thumbsup:

ravenest

Daniel, I highly recommend you do protection and grounding techniques before doing anything related to divination. It certainly won't hurt you, even if you do not believe in it. But, it COULD help you--even if you don't believe in it. You know what I mean?

It can be as simple as a quick one line prayer asking your guides to be around you and protect you from all and any evil. It can be more elaborate, however you are comfortable with.

I, myself, ask my guides and Archangel Michael to watch over me and protect me. Sometimes I ask for the help and guidance and protection of my deceased loved ones too. I do many other things as well, and they are now a part of my daily routine whether or not I do a reading, because as a medium and an empathy, there are spirits around me all the time, whether or not I take the time to acknowledge them.

Always better to be safe then sorry. Protect and ground yourself. all the time. always.

I agree ... the thing is, these techniques are essential for further work BUT even just in themselves they are highly beneficial, even for one that has nothing to do with spirits or tarot, etc ... the benefit passes into other areas of one's life; physical, mental, emotional, inspirational / creative .