Help me interpret this dream?

Jeh

I'm auditioning for a musical in a week and a half and I've been working extremely hard on my skills because rumour has it I have a chance at one of my dream roles. I've enjoyed seeing a lot of progress on my voice as I've worked hard. I don't usually remember my dreams, but I wrote this one down as soon as I woke up and remembered it.

I had a dream last night that I auditioned and didn't get a callback, so I thought I didn't get the part and was very disappointed, ready to go home and be sad, but I took the director aside and asked her if they were still considering me, and she said yes. It immediately switched to the performance of the show. I went to sit in the audience of some huge theatre with my friends, and after the first couple of numbers, the music director came to find me and tell me I needed to immediately jump in and play that part with no rehearsal. He fitted me with a body mic and I told him I wasn't ready yet, I didn't quite have the high notes and he said that wasn't important. The show involved children (even though it's a very dark musical not really suited to children in real life), and I did an amazing job, was a natural and it didn't matter I'd never rehearsed. The play in my dream was a mix between the actual play in real life and one of my favourite TV shows. At the end, I saw all my friends cheering for me. Then I woke up.

Is this literally telling me I might get the part? Or is there a less literal interpretation?

moon_light

It depends on if you believe it was a "prophetic" dream or not. Have you dreamed the future before? If you don't take it that route, you can look at it as your subconscious telling you that it's okay and not to stress. You are good enough and you can draw from the confidence that knowledge gives you to come across as a stronger candidate. Good luck with your audition!

Jeh

I don't usually remember my dreams, but for the past 6 months or so I've been having a lot of deja vu, so I do believe that on some level I have seen things before.

The thing about not quite having the notes yet is true, and my confidence is a little shaken now that I've been to the general meeting. There are other guys auditioning for the part who probably have the notes, what makes me special? I think the answer is that nobody works as hard as me, I've been rehearsing 2-3 hours a day for this audition. I asked the vocal director and the director if it was worth auditioning for the part if I didn't quite have the notes but would get them during the rehearsal process and the vocal director didn't give me a straight answer, and the director deferred to the vocal director, but I'm still going to go for it.

I'm just concerned this will be a repeat of the past - when I was 19 I got my first leading role, and since I was a 19 year old girl, my voice was still developing and I had a lot of vocal problems during the show and burned some bridges - that director dislikes me and it affects my chances with that company.

I'm transgender, have been on hormones for 3 and a half years, so I'm once again in a place where my voice is developing, now as a male voice even though I'm biologically 30. Vocally, I'm like a 19 year old guy now. So if I even manage to get the role, will I get the notes? Or will it be another show where I don't live up to expectations and I ruin my reputation with this group?

Stuff for me to think about, at least.

NightVision

Hi. I dabble with dream interpretation, using my own system.

In my experience, prophetic dreams do exist but they are rare.

The feeling I have for you is that this dream is more a reflection of your love for musical theatre. The presence of the children may reflect that your ability to entertain is based on a very pure love, that which later in life we may experience as parental love.

What is unusual is that this could have easily manifested as an anxiety dream (you turn up, your costume is missing, you're nekkid on the stage, you've forgotten your lines) but this is the diametric opposite of that. So I concur with moon-light on this too, you can trust your confidence in this field.

I hope it IS a prophetic dream, of course (is it the Phantom? Gosh I love the Phantom. With Les Mis in second place.). But if you don't get the part don't be disheartened because your psyche seems to be telling you very strongly that this is the field in which you belong.