Can Tarot really foretell the Future ?

dancing_moon

Well, there seem to be two questions, actually.

Can Tarot really foretell the future? - Yes, it can, according to my (rather small) experience.
Will Tarot foretell the future with 100% accuracy every time? - No, it won't, ditto.

Moonbow

Tarot as physical cards can foretell no more than any other print form, but Tarot in terms of Mentalism can, but then is that the Tarot or the human psyche foretelling the future? Tarot is the tool.

EyeAmEye

Did you ask specifically about her? Because if you asked specifically about this woman, then the cards were wrong. However, if you didn't specify ( though I imagine that you did) then I can see how the cards were " sort of right" and the error was due to human Error

Hi Olivia,
Sometimes I did ask specifically, other times I did not.

I don't always believe the cards answer the question you ask directly. I think the answer points you in the direction and not necessarily a direct answer.

In my particular situation, where both women were right in front of my face daily, the answer was predicting an outcome of an ongoing situation.

Another wrinkle in the prediction was there was always an element of something hidden that would take me by surprise and no matter how much I tried to extract some information on what it was, I could never get any kind of answer that helped. Now that I look back over the years this whole thing unraveled as it did, I understand that if I had understood any of what was happening it would have altered it completely.

Like I said before, I believe some things have to happen, others not. If your foreknowledge of something could change the outcome, you aren't going to be shown anything that would alter it.

Nikita_

Well, there seem to be two questions, actually.

Can Tarot really foretell the future? - Yes, it can, according to my (rather small) experience.
Will Tarot foretell the future with 100% accuracy every time? - No, it won't, ditto.

The real question is the third one, the one you didn't ask....why is it that sometimes it works, other times it doesn't ?

Nikita_

I believe some things have to happen, others not. If your foreknowledge of something could change the outcome, you aren't going to be shown anything that would alter it.

I totally agree with this...and that goes back to the idea of destiny....that we can't really change....

Nikita_

I have been warned by entities that I deal with that if I ever actively pursue tarot as a public service I will have a reoccurring problem with my predictions being good until somebody comes to count upon them and then at the most opportune moment for maximum emotional devastation the rug will get pulled from underneath and the answer will be dramatically and destructively wrong.

Well, ravenest can ridicule your explanation as much as he/she likes, placebo, but the fact is, what you described here seems to be precisely what happens, to a lot of people I've spoken with....tarot will always get it right, until that time, when it has gained your trust, on that incredibly important occasion, when it suddenly lets you down and causes devastation....call it entities, call it the Devil's doing, like Catholics do, give a philosophical explanation or a scientific one with statistics and the laws of probabilities, but the fact remains, I've heard this story, exactly like you put it, dozens of times, and it really does seem like a perverted mechanism... very dangerous...I'm sure we will never get to the bottom of this question, no matter how long this thread goes on for, the most we can do is learn to take tarot predictions with caution-more than we ever did-as a pinch of salt...
And even ravenest cannot be sure that the explanation for this is logical, rather than crazy or " magical "...

trzes

The real question is the third one, the one you didn't ask....why is it that sometimes it works, other times it doesn't ?

How about pure coincidence? It is a reasonable assumption to think of the future as being probabilistic as Debra and many others have stated before. That means many outcomes are possible, but there is no way of knowing in which of the possible future scenarios we will end up. This would add some uncertainty to every prediction made, even if our knowledge of the present can identify trends for the future. In a way that sort of conception seems hard to accept for many people, and you don't seem to like that mindset either, but it would answer your third question.

IMO human relationships in particular are so complex that they are very hard to judge even regarding the present and much harder to predict, since it is often small coincidences that have a big impact, like who meets whom at random, a wrong word in the wrong situation, people staying together due to a lack of other opportunities etc. etc.

Nikita_

How about pure coincidence? It is a reasonable assumption to think of the future as being probabilistic as Debra and many others have stated before. That means many outcomes are possible, but there is no way of knowing in which of the possible future scenarios we will end up. This would add some uncertainty to every prediction made, even if our knowledge of the present can identify trends for the future. In a way that sort of conception seems hard to accept for many people, and you don't seem to like that mindset either, but it would answer your third question.

No, I guess you're right, I can't accept that mindset; it just doesn't fit in with my view of reality, or the world as I see it, my experience.....yes, I guess it would answer my key question, and to me, it would also be a clear NO to the question that is the title of this thread, but as much as I've tried to come round to that way of thinking, I just can't be convinced....

Zephyros

Then I guess you won't be either way. It is a question of subjective belief, even ravenest's so-called mocking. You will never get definitive proof either way, which it seems is what you are looking for.