Lenormand significator WORK

fee90

I have a question, I'm a tarot fan but decided to learn lenormand as well, boy it is different! I'm using The Lenormand Oracle Handbook ( Mathews) and I've ordered the Secrets of the Lenormand Oracle ( Steinbach)

In the Handbook I'm learning about significator cards to choose a topic, so if you have a question about love, you use the HEART card, shuffle, search the HEART card and read the card before and after. Question about your home, the house card etc.
For work, Mathews uses the Moon card, she describes the moon as a card for: Job, honor etc. But after some nights on the internet, I've found different significator cards for work, like:
Fox- job, daily income
Bear- Money, work ( I thought fish was money:) )
Anchor- Work, income

So, wich one to choose? Or is it just personal preference?
The fox at first didn't fit for me, I learned it was wrong, beware.
But on the other hand a fox is always providing food for the cubs, making sure they will survive
The bear I thought was power, strength.
The anchor I learned is stability.

What do you use? Since combinations with moon will give different answers than cards with anchor? Or cards with bear?
Or should I stick at one system for a reading, deciding wich one I use before I start?

I'm from the Netherlands, is it possible it's also different in each country?

Today I've also ordered a Dutch book set, wich claims to have brought back the lenormand to the old symbols and meanings, claiming they are historical correct( De lenormand set, Christiane Renner). Very curious about that one.

Lunajade

significator work

Hi fee90,

There are different traditions or schools of Lenormand. The French use the fox card as work (Steinbach and George). In the German school the anchor stands for work (Treppner). The moon is used as the work card in the Dutch/Belgium school (Mathews).

I think you should find a system that feels right for you and stick with it.

Lunajade

Teheuti

I use several work cards:

Moon - the career/profession for which you are known. The card means recognition; achievements, acclaim, plus a 19th century Belgian deck that came with verses in Dutch, French, German and later English, states career in the verse.

Anchor - whatever makes you feel secure and stable, for instance a 9-5 job providing a steady income.

Fox - a task, project, planning, strategy; temp job; something to get done. (I use this only rarely as "work," however it can imply "working on" something).

Ship - commerce; buying/selling; import-export. This can come up as selling on eBay or Etsy, for instance.

Fish - money; liquid resources; finances in and out.

Bear - investments, savings, stored resources. Can also be one's boss, a CEO or a mentor.

If it's clear that the topic is work/business or work cards are adjacent, then:

House can be any small building, including a shop or family business. It tends to suggest success & prosperity unless negative cards are adjacent or it is under the Person's Significator.

Tower can be any large or tall building, including a department store, mall or corporate headquarters, government. It tends to suggest longevity, unless negative cards are adjacent or it is far from the Person's Significator.

Having more than one work card can be handy in a Grand Tableau as it allows you to see how the work situation is progressing, while lending nuance to different aspects of one's work.

Today I've also ordered a Dutch book set, wich claims to have brought back the lenormand to the old symbols and meanings, claiming they are historical correct( De lenormand set, Christiane Renner). Very curious about that one.
Another book, which focuses almost entirely on 19th century meanings as given in several different places and languages is Anthony Louis' ebook: Leormand Symbols.
http://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Symbols-Exploring-Origins-Images-ebook/dp/B00J7229O2/

Amanda

I consider Moon for work if it's got something else along with it to support that. Primarily, Anchor is my work card though.

Also, I make this distinction as well in regards to money/finance:

Bear - investments, savings, stored resources.

Lee

I use several work cards:

Moon - the career/profession for which you are known. The card means recognition; achievements, acclaim, plus a 19th century Belgian deck that came with verses in Dutch, French, German and later English, states career in the verse.

Anchor - whatever makes you feel secure and stable, for instance a 9-5 job providing a steady income.

Fox - a task, project, planning, strategy; temp job; something to get done. (I use this only rarely as "work," however it can imply "working on" something).

Ship - commerce; buying/selling; import-export. This can come up as selling on eBay or Etsy, for instance.

Bear - investments, savings, stored resources. Can also be one's boss, a CEO or a mentor.

If it's clear that the topic is work/business or work cards are adjacent, then:

House can be any small building, including a shop or family business. It tends to suggest success & prosperity unless negative cards are adjacent or it is under the Person's Significator.

Tower can be any large or tall building, including a department store, mall or corporate headquarters, government. It tends to suggest longevity, unless negative cards are adjacent or it is far from the Person's Significator.
This is an excellent list and a great example of how widening our perspective a bit can result in much more nuanced readings. It's a good exercise to go through the whole deck like this and find groups of cards that represent various aspects of major topics like love, sex, communication, etc.

danieljuk

I would never have associated Moon as a significator card for work before but really interesting, can see that now! I am noticing Tower coming up a lot for readings for me and for others, representing a place of work. Always someone who works in an institution or big company (1000+ workers type place).

I think it's important to always remember there is many cards that represent different areas and themes. We have to find the best on that fits for us personally in that spread :)

DownUnderNZer

Free style for me FOX would be the main job card and FISH a business or entrepreneurship. Cards flanking it to the right side would indicate the direction like BEAR is finances or a cafe/restaurant/chef etc.

Moon next to FOX would be Psychic etc. Moon alone would not be a job to me.

In the GT Anchor is work. :)

Teheuti

Moon next to FOX would be Psychic etc. Moon alone would not be a job to me.
Based on the time and place in which the cards were created, the Moon represented the public and so one's public image, public regard and fame. Some have added the idea of thoughts, feelings and emotions as well as dreams, imagination and psychic abilities to this card but that has come from conflating it with the Tarot Moon.

1846 (Philippe instructions): Moon is a sign of great honour, if this card is located next to the person; on the contrary, if it is distant it announces misfortune.

Streerath (1855): Profit and honour; also misery.

Belgian(1865): by the person, this is a sign of great honors; away, you can expect grief.

Belgian Brepols (1910): When the friendly moon shines down at you from close upon your shores, he is announcing a nice career, glory and honour are to be yours.

DownUnderNZer

I do see MOON as world known, famous, a celebrity, highly recognized, so yes a public figure. Even I suppose high up when it comes to achievements or being professional. Like Leonardo Di Caprio (Actor), Obama (President), Pablo Picasso (Artist) and/or John Edwards (Celebrity Medium) etc etc etc.

Not Tabitha Ryan seeing if she should be looking at a career change or if Bradley Johnson wants to know the future of his job at Target.

FOX/ANCHOR for me, still, is work/jobs. :)

Based on the time and place in which the cards were created, the Moon represented the public and so one's public image, public regard and fame. Some have added the idea of thoughts, feelings and emotions as well as dreams, imagination and psychic abilities to this card but that has come from conflating it with the Tarot Moon.

1846 (Philippe instructions): Moon is a sign of great honour, if this card is located next to the person; on the contrary, if it is distant it announces misfortune.

Streerath (1855): Profit and honour; also misery.

Belgian(1865): by the person, this is a sign of great honors; away, you can expect grief.

Belgian Brepols (1910): When the friendly moon shines down at you from close upon your shores, he is announcing a nice career, glory and honour are to be yours.

Teheuti

I do see MOON as world known, famous, a celebrity, highly recognized, so yes a public figure. Even I suppose high up when it comes to achievements or being professional. Like Leonardo Di Caprio (Actor), Obama (President), Pablo Picasso (Artist) and/or John Edwards (Celebrity Medium) etc etc etc.

Not Tabitha Ryan seeing if she should be looking at a career change or if Bradley Johnson wants to know the future of his job at Target.

FOX/ANCHOR for me, still, is work/jobs. :)
In a short spread I'd pay attention if any one of the work cards turns up as the card turning up would give nuance to the answer. In a Grand Tableau I'd check out all the work cards, especially to see there is a progression in relation to their work - unless I pre-selected a specific topic card for the work question.

If I say, "Do you like Dr. Xyz for your dental work?" then that's Moon. He doesn't have to be Leonardo Di Caprio to be known for his profession.