Books on the Divine Masculine - pagan gods

Owl Song

Any good books on working with god-energy? So many encyclopedic goddess books but I'm having a hard time finding ones on gods -- (the pagan perspective, not Christian based; there are a lot of those.)

Books about gods across the world would be great. Or ones about embracing and honoring god-energy.

Thanks in advance.

Aeric

The Witches' God - Stewart and Janet Farrar

One of the more well known books on the subject. It covers the God from universal archetypes: vegetation gods, death gods, sun, war, etc., with rituals and powers. It's a companion book to The Witches' Goddess.

Earth God Rising: The Return of the Male Mysteries - Alan Richardson

Traditional English Witch perspective of the Horned God, Cernunnos, Herne. A bit sarcastic, reverence for Aleister Crowley's work.

Path of the Green Man: Gay Men, Wicca, and Living a Magical Life - Michael Thomas Ford

Written in response to strong heteronormative aspects of Wiccan fertility, designed for gay male pagan spirituality with reverence for the Goddess while focusing on the God. The practitioner becomes the Green Man and the disciple/lover of the God, envisioned mainly as the Horned God Cernunnos.

Owl Song

Aeric, thank you so much. I'm trying to bring some more masculine energy into my practice.

Chrystella

A few more:

"The Pagan Man" by Isaac Bonewits
"Sons of the Goddess: A Young Man's Guide to Wicca" by Christopher Penczak
"Sacred Paths for Modern Men" by Dagonet Dewr

Also, there may be some tradition-specific books on male deities. For example, if you're interested in Yoruban traditions, there are individual books on male orishas.

Aeric

If you're willing to shell out the money, find a copy of the Sol Invictus Tarot. The guidebook is excellent and very thorough in discussing the God aspects of paganism.

ravenest

A few more:

"The Pagan Man" by Isaac Bonewits
"Sons of the Goddess: A Young Man's Guide to Wicca" by Christopher Penczak
"Sacred Paths for Modern Men" by Dagonet Dewr

Also, there may be some tradition-specific books on male deities. For example, if you're interested in Yoruban traditions, there are individual books on male orishas.

Interesting suggestion ! I never thought of that one. My main orisha experience was with 'Simbi la Flambeau' where sexual differentiation seemed moot. Others in our group, however, saw me more as a 'Papa Legba' type. His position seems related more to my 'self' than my 'process' ( I see an affinity with his function and my 'Hermetic Mercurios' .... also recently I have developed a permanent limp :bugeyed: ) .

ravenest

Aeric, thank you so much. I'm trying to bring some more masculine energy into my practice.

Have you considered working 'male aspect' from your 'female aspect' ? By that I mean; in many traditions, 'Wica' (and related practices) work a Sun / Moon : Male / Female polarity.

But a 'polarity' can be worked on 'one side' ( think of the yin yang symbol where one side contains part of the other side). A woman ( or, if one wants, a man) can work the 'priestess' side of the Sun energy; a 'Priestess of the Sun'.

We worked a form of it for years .... it IS a pagan thing, but this particular rite ( from which some evidence exists that this rite was 'mined' and used for the first versions of 'Wica' Great Rite and other subsidiary Wiccan rites) is in a form of more 'ceremonial magick' . In the right the focus seems a LOT on the Priest, but a few 'Priestess of the Sun' I have worked with have said that there is a LOT more going on for them (within the rite and on a subtle and magical level) than would appear to outward experiences.

I tried it once ( the priestess role, in this rite) .... yep ... a LOT going on ... a lot more than I could comprehend from just doing it one time.

Here a few snippets to give an idea:

The PRIESTESS is clothed in white, blue, and gold. She bears the Sword from a red girdle.

The rite starts with the Priest 'dead' in the tomb, the priestess purifies the temple and raises the priest and adorns him for the rite, they go to the shrine and she is concealed behind the veil (see the Priestess card ) . Then they both start invoking the Goddess of the Sun) into her.

The PRIEST: O circle of Stars whereof our Father is but the younger brother, marvel beyond imagination, soul of infinite space, before whom Time is Ashamed, the mind bewildered, and the understanding dark, not unto Thee may we attain, unless Thine image be Love. Therefore by seed and root and stem and bud and leaf and flower and fruit do we invoke Thee.

the Priestess answers:

The PRIESTESS: "But to love me is better than all things; if under the night-stars in the desert thou presently burnest mine incense before me, invoking me with a pure heart, and the serpent flame therein, thou shalt come a little to lie in my bosom. For one kiss wilt thou then be willing to give all; but whoso gives one particle of dust shall lose all in that hour. Ye shall gather goods and store of women and spices; ye shall wear rich jewels; ye shall exceed the nations of the earth in splendour and pride; but always in the love of me, and so shall ye come to my joy. I charge you earnestly to come before me in a single robe, and covered with a rich head-dress. I love you! I yearn to you! Pale or purple, veiled or voluptuous, I who am all pleasure and purple, and drunkenness of the innermost sense, desire you. Put on the wings, and arouse the coiled splendour within you: come unto me!" [Liber AL, I:61] "To me! To me!" [Liber AL, I:62] "Sing the rapturous love-song unto me! Burn to me perfumes! Wear to me jewels! Drink to me, for I love you! I love you. I am the blue-lidded daughter of sunset; I am the naked brilliance of the voluptuous night-sky. To me! To me!"

And so on .... eventually they consecrate the cake and wine and it is shared amongst the 'congregation' or 'coven'.

http://hermetic.com/sabazius/gnostic_mass.htm

~

Then there is the other side; in the 'typical' arrangement ( man woman : Sun Moon ) the woman can play the part of the God (in the following case; Pan ). Some people have been shocked at (and even got angry at ) the idea of this. We did it once in a large (about 200 people) spring equinox rite ... our 'God' bailed and we had to get a new one, no one wanted to. I suggested it as a joke to a woman and she said 'Okay, I will do that."

And W O W did she do the best job of it ever ! Man ... I have never seen a 'performance' ( 'possession' ? :laugh: ) like that , seriously, she was fantastic .... phenomenal actually !

She ended up with the nick name of Mrs Pan . :laugh:

I was going to say, that is another story ... but, ah what the heck ... I should explain what I mean.

I had the idea to conceal Pan in the centre of a circle ( a large on that could hold the 200 people) where there was a small inner ring of stones. We had dug a little pit previously and covered it with plants and flowers. During the rite, we got everyone to face outwards and she slipped backwards and into the hollow. Then we went on to the invocation of Pan. Without anyone but the 3 officers knowing at the appropriate moment she was to emerge 'out of the earth' and do the next bit.

Well she shot up out of there like a meteor, up into the air in a fountain of plants flowers and dirt ... even I didnt know what was going on ! Covered in that she commenced running and jumping around the circle on galloping on all fours and looking like a 'God know what' then she started running full pelt and jumping and flipping and contorting her body wildly in the air, landing somersaulting, etc. . Thats when I got worried, thinking the energy had somehow got the better of her and she was about to break her neck. But she transitioned to the next bit ... and maintained it all in energetic form throughout the rite.

I have never seen anything like that before ! I asked her what the hell happened later. She smiled and said she used to work as a circus acrobat.

Circus acrobat or not ... she certainly had the Pan energy in any case and pulled it off beautifully. It was an amazing rite !

I know some people poo-poo this and say the man has to be the God and the woman has to be the Goddess . But I believe we are all to an extent, a mixture - especially magically speaking. There are many ways to explore that. The above are just two of them.

MandMaud

This is sitting in my Amazon wishlist: 'Gods in Everyman' by Jean Shinoda http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00134XE...TF8&colid=1PO3PY73FYB9J&coliid=I1E3NGFZOGSI9R
(also its counterpart, 'Goddesses in Everywoman')

It appears to be a psychological take on archetypes. The blurb:
"In this challenging and enlightening companion volume to the bestselling Goddesses in Everywoman, Jean Shinoda Bolen turns her attention to the powerful inner patterns--or archetypes--that shape men's personalities, careers, and personal relationships. Viewing these archtypes as the inner counterparts of the outer world of cultural stereotypes, she demonstrates how men an women can gain an nvaluable sense of wholeness and integration when what they do is consistent with who they are. Dr. Bolen introduces these patterns in the guise of eight archetypal gods, or personality types, with whom the reader will identify. From the authoritarian power-seeking gods (Zeus, Poseidon) to the gods of creativity (Apollo, Hephaestus) to the sensual Dionysus, Dr. Bolen shows men how to identify their ruling gods, how to decide which to cultivate and which to overcome, and how to tap thepwer of these enduring archetypes in order to enrich and strengthen their lives. She also stresses the importance of understanding which gods you are attracted to and which are compatible with your expectations, uncovers the origins of the often-difficult father-son relationship, and explores society's deep conflict between nurturing behavior and the need to foster masculinity."

Could also be worth googling individual gods' (or archetypes') names with terms such as "book", "ritual" or whatever's appropriate to you.

ravenest

Excellent suggestion MM - get the perspective from the mythological archetypes :thumbsup: !

On that level I would recommend the works of Liz Greene , Patrick Harpur and Jungian psychologist Robert Moore and mythologist Douglas Gillette ;

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/07/31/king-warrior-magician-lover-introduction/

it has great triangular diagrams of the subset combinations.

I find Harpur particularly insightful and up-to-date, his analysis of the current male archetype paradigm as Faustus is brilliant (there are extensions of this such as the 3 fold Robert Johnstone one - which is also great ; http://www.amazon.com/Transformation-Understanding-Levels-Masculine-Consciousness/dp/0062505432 )

MandMaud

Excellent suggestion MM - get the perspective from the mythological archetypes :thumbsup: !
I am so glad you said that. :) I felt out of my depth here in this thread, among you lot all so much more familiar with this stuff.

Zapping the whole thread to my kindle to read thoroughly and then probably following up every single link. not that I'm trying to get closer to my inner bloke for now :D but the wider question is important. ... And I have got sons, too.