Crystal Ball

poivre

O.K. help please.
My crystal ball is about 6 inches around a weighs about 1 pound & is clear as a mirror.
What have I got? I have never used it, just had it put away.
Thanks for any ideas.

I don't know anything about them, thanks for the thread!

DeLani

Dead Star said:
Hmm. Well it seems to me that it must have a certain percentage of lead in it. For its size it is indeed surprisingly heavy, which makes me believe it has to be more than just glass. I doubt if it were it would have cost me $75, I'd think it would have been much cheaper. I'm beginning to wonder if the "bubbles" inside are actually just smaller round balls or beads that have been somehow inserted inside during production? I don't know but based on the cost of the item and its surprising weight, it has to have at least some percentage of lead in it. It's very doubtful that I was ripped off from such a store. They actually didn't know the prices or anything when I called them about it, when I got there they had them written on a piece of paper. I asked them over the phone what they were made of, so it's not like I specified that I wanted crystal. They had to look everything up from the consumer I'm guessing, and didn't tell me until afterwards that it was crystal, so I know she wasn't lying to me. Just makes it all the more confusing...

Even if it is leaded crystal/glass, and has just enough percentage of lead to be called "crystal", doesn't it still contain enough pure glass to have bubbles inside (if that's what they really are)?
Hmmm...well, based on what you are saying, then I suppose it could be lead crystal with purposefully included bubbles. It's quite hard to appraise something I can't see or touch!

DeLani

ros said:
O.K. help please.
My crystal ball is about 6 inches around a weighs about 1 pound & is clear as a mirror.
What have I got? I have never used it, just had it put away.
Thanks for any ideas.

I don't know anything about them, thanks for the thread!
Again, it's hard to tell when I can't see or touch the item.
Look carefully at it held up against a white background. Around the edges, where it curves, is there a slight greenish tinge? If it has a slight yellowish tinge it could be quartz.
If it is indeed perfectly clear, it could be either lead crystal or very high quality quartz. I couldn't tell unless I could hold it. Where did you get it?

poivre

Thanks Delani,
I first put it against black & I thought green or blue, then the white & thought green.
The material looks like it would under a microscope, & when the light hits it in a certain way you can see colors, if this means anything.
I bought it in a nick nack store where the sold Pewter items also.
I'm tired tonight also so I'll try tomorrow again.

Aura Wolf

Hmmm...well, based on what you are saying, then I suppose it could be lead crystal with purposefully included bubbles. It's quite hard to appraise something I can't see or touch!

Thanks DeLani. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it is all :D Facts are, it's heavy, is apparently crystal (even if just barely), and has those beads or bubbles inside that were definitely put there intentionally. If what you just said is truly possible then I'm guessing you're probably right about it. It's very interesting, those bubbles. I'm sure this ball wasn't meant for gazing, although if I become especially talented it might work, lol. There are a couple bubbles/beads in the middle that are the largest, as large as perhaps a centimeter across or not quite. Then the others just cluster around them, and they gradually become smaller, fewer, and farther between as they extend toward the edges of the ball. It's like looking into a sort of galaxy, and with the slight opal-ish rainbow capturing the light it's really quite neat. It's just going to be a little more challenging to scry with and get used to, is all. But what you just said definitely seems to make the most sense for this ball...so I trust your judgement :)

Agathe

I saw a ball on thursday and it was made of this stone that when translated straight from Polish would be mountain crystal. I wonder if it's the same in English?
Anyway, it fit my hand nicely and everything but it was kind of repelling. It's hard to explain. I didn't decide to get it. I don't want a ball just for the sake of having one. That would be rediculous.

Agathe

DeLani

Agathe,
Quartz crystal is sometimes called "rock crystal." Perhaps it was quartz? Was it clear or whitish?
But of course if you felt repelled by it, don't buy it!
Ros,
It sounds to me like glass. If you saw a greenish or bluish tinge at the edges, it's probably glass.
I'm glad to be of help.

shelikes2read

purple_scorp said:
Hello All.

In the book that came with Titania's Crystal ball kit, she says traditionally, most people use a white or black cloth under their ball, made from silk or velvet or similar. Titania also suggests to try other coloured cloths for focusing on particular questions. Pink for love life, yellow for study/business, green for health etc.

Cheers
purple_scorp

I'm resurrecting what appears to be an old thread, because I use a variation on this technique and I would like to pass it along.

I have two quartz crystal balls with inclusions. (I posted pictures in another thread.) One has a phantom crystal point in it, and the other was termed "elestial" quartz by mineralminers.com, the site where I ordered it. The inclusions in that one put me in mind of a translucent mountain range. (I wish I could find a crystal ball stand with a mountain-range pattern on it. It'd make a GREAT match for that sphere. Unfortunately, I can't find a stand like that anywhere. But I digress.)

When I want to USE the inclusions while scrying -- when I want to focus on them until the mental images start to kick in -- I use a black cloth for the background. That helps me see them better.

When I DON'T want to notice the inclusions as much, I use a white cloth for the background. This downplays the inclusions a lot and can make the sphere seem clear, or more nearly so.

blackroseivy

About the digression...

...What about having one painted?

shelikes2read

Re: About the digression...

danubhe said:
...What about having one painted?

Say, that's a good idea! :) Thanks for giving me some food for thought.

I was thinking more along the lines of "If there are crystal ball stands made of cats, dragons, dolphins, ocean waves, etc, why not mountains?" But MAKING one look like mountains didn't occur to me. Hmmm. :) I've got to think about that for a while and see what I can do.