Dreamt of chewing tinfoil. Um...?!!

Annabel

Hi everyone, I had this dream last night that I was hanging out with one of my favourite bands, and while I was talking to one of the band members (the singer & lead guitarist) I found that I was chewing a whole mouthful of tinfoil, and I had to keep picking bits out of my teeth while I was listening/talking to him! It's by far one of the most bizarre things to happen in any of my dreams. Although I found plenty of interpretations online for chewing food, gum and even glass, I haven't been able to find a thing about what it means to be chewing on aluminium foil! I feel it's symbolic of something - but I'm just not sure what! Any thoughts?

danieljuk

I love weird dreams!

so my first intuitive thought that came to me is that tin foil is reflective and as you put it in your mouth to chew it, you are reflecting yourself! so my first idea that came to me was about self-reflection. you were with your favourite band members, a good thing and then start reflecting yourself! I am not sure if that has any meaning for you.

Dream moods does have an entry for foil. I am not sure I agree with their take on it apart from the protective idea about it. I would think about what does tin foil mean to you? how is it used? to protect food, to cook with (I used it to cook with to save so much washing up later :) ). Think about the symbol of it in your life and how you feel about it. This could be that you feel shy about meeting your fave band. Dream moods also suggests anger as an emotion about it.

Perhaps you don't feel you deserve to meet them like low self-esteem, but of course you do! They should be honoured to meet you :) Just some ideas to help :)

edited to add: another idea, it's used to keep food warm or to protect it or for hygienic reasons, not sure if any of them inspires you.

Annabel

Hi Daniel, thank you so much for your response. I like what you said about reflecting on myself - that's a very good interpretation! I think you're right about that, as I have been in a self-reflective state recently. Reviewing the things in my life that aren't working for me and letting them go. Also trying to keep the faith that with determination and right action I will achieve my dreams. Considering one of my deeply held dreams is to sing in a band (don't laugh!) it would make sense that I would see one of my favourite bands in my dream and that I would feel kind of 'unworthy' as you put it. Thank you so much, by the way - for reminding me that I *am* worthy!! I got a bit emotional when I read that so I know it struck a nerve to my lack of confidence/self esteem. It's something I'm working on, but obviously, if I'm ever to get up on stage in front of people I have to have confidence in myself!

I just looked up just the phrase 'chewing' online and it said: Considering something; mulling over something; trying something out – getting a taste of it so to speak. Maybe I am doing just that, but in the safety of the dream state...
And also, Pulling something out of mouth: Trying to clear emotions or attitudes not properly expressed. Perhaps one is not admitting something.

Could it be that I'm not truly admitting to myself how I feel about pursuing my dreams? (It's basically all I think about.) I have always wanted to sing, but I think I just haven't really ever *believed* that I could do it, so then the self-fulfilling prophecy kicks in, followed by lots of self-doubt! I'm not really sure about the food covering/cooking part of it - only because it doesn't mean that much to me in every day life. I hardly have any use for it. I think it was more the chewing element and the fact that tin foil was uncomfortable in my mouth - maybe I am not comfortable or confident with expressing myself creatively/vocally..? Or maybe it was just a symbol of feeling nervous in front of people who I admire so much - chewing can be an anxiety related thing I guess?

Anyways, your response has given me much to think on! So thank you very much for taking the time to reply so thoughtfully :)